de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

I have decided that as part of much bigger self redesign/ reinvention project I need to start tackling some of those jobs that I really keep putting off-today it's the turn of my arch nemeisi --the undersink cupboard !!!

Trying to get back in gear...

Starting last night, I have been rearranging the livingroom (and cleaning as much as possible -- including using a Magic Eraser on the walls -- works like a charm). I need to do some clearing out and reorganising, along with the furniture shuffling, in order to accomodoate the small upright piano we bought.

I also need to either get that "Ebay for Dummies" book, so that I can ebay stuff or at the very least make up sales cards and post them at the post office and on the email format newsletter that is sent out through my DH's employer.

I cleaned out the shoe cupboard and had DD try on her shoes (only one pair is to go), and I will move some summer shoes upstairs as they are being worn atm. (On the "to do" list is have her try on her clothes to see what is too small and needs to go.)

I have the laundry sorted into baskets (as my washer died RIP) and I am having to go to the laundry mat until a replacement arrives (it is on order but no ETA). I think I will head out by three today. I also have a shopping list (batteries, trash bags, etc.) that I can tend whilst the wash cycle is going.

Back on track with the diet today... I am working on my water and food (CD810) and plan to incorporate fitness. I never got that added back in before I took too much "time off" over Christmas.

I have just read this post right through as I have noticed if my house is untidy it definately affects my mood, the weird thing is iv been cleaning all day as I cant handle being surrounded by clutter anymore. Im trying to sort out my head as that is what stops me losing weight and i come across this sorting out the mind forum and then this post, if this is not a sign im on the right track then nothing is, so thank you im away to now read fly lady and finish off what iv started tomorrow. :D

I have just read this post right through as I have noticed if my house is untidy it definately affects my mood, the weird thing is iv been cleaning all day as I cant handle being surrounded by clutter anymore. Im trying to sort out my head as that is what stops me losing weight and i come across this sorting out the mind forum and then this post, if this is not a sign im on the right track then nothing is, so thank you im away to now read fly lady and finish off what iv started tomorrow. :D

Welcome. There is a book that is based on the premise that the same things that keep us fat also contribute to our issues with clutter. It is called Does this Clutter Make my Butt Look Fat. A friend gave it to me as a joke, but it actually made a lot of sense. The author is well-know in the U.S. as a cleaning, clearing, organizing guru. It is worth a look.

Get going... and come back and post your tedious but rewarding efforts to clean, clear, sort, organize, simplify, etc. your environment and life!

MinnieMel said:
Trying to get back in gear...

Starting last night, I have been rearranging the livingroom (and cleaning as much as possible -- including using a Magic Eraser on the walls -- works like a charm). I need to do some clearing out and reorganising, along with the furniture shuffling, in order to accomodoate the small upright piano we bought.

I also need to either get that "Ebay for Dummies" book, so that I can ebay stuff or at the very least make up sales cards and post them at the post office and on the email format newsletter that is sent out through my DH's employer.

I cleaned out the shoe cupboard and had DD try on her shoes (only one pair is to go), and I will move some summer shoes upstairs as they are being worn atm. (On the "to do" list is have her try on her clothes to see what is too small and needs to go.)

I have the laundry sorted into baskets (as my washer died RIP) and I am having to go to the laundry mat until a replacement arrives (it is on order but no ETA). I think I will head out by three today. I also have a shopping list (batteries, trash bags, etc.) that I can tend whilst the wash cycle is going.

Back on track with the diet today... I am working on my water and food (CD810) and plan to incorporate fitness. I never got that added back in before I took too much "time off" over Christmas.

Wowza Mel you busy fly lady!

I have let things slide so much for a week, in fact there has been laundry in the machine for two days washed, can you believe that! Got to snag me a heated airer soon, thats going to need another hot wash for sure!

My plan for today is a walk about in the countryside with hubby and lunch in a pub, where I will just have a couple of pints of water and a chicken salad. Then tonight, I don't "do" new years so much, so will go to my sisters for a bit, come home and start my new year cull! I do this every year, I get rid of the old clutter to make way for the new, like you im going to get into selling on eBay. Though recently I sold some furniture and eBay charged me 10% in fees pretty much! A woman I met told me sold the case off a game for £8 quid! Now that's crazy, and recently I hear a brussle sprout from the back of someones fridge sold for £10! People are strange! I have boxes of stuff I was going to car boot, but I may have a crack at eBay instead!

So, off to do that wash and eye up heated towel Airers now

Hope you have a lively new year!

Hi Nat (et al) --

Happy New Year!!!

Got to snag me a heated airer soon, thats going to need another hot wash for sure!

Spend the money and get the Lakeland one. The one I bought for my friend (from the ebay shop) was damaged when she tried to put it together and we have had to post it back (cost over 8 quid -- they claim they will reimburse me) -- and now we are waiting for a replacement. I have to call today (make sure it arrived, to arrange my postage back, and check that they have a replacement to shiop out) because no one was in the warehouse over the holidays. UGH!

I do not need to go to the laundry mat... so, I think I will wait and go later in the week when DD and DH are back at school and work respectively. By then I should have my 9 American loads or thereabout. *sigh*

I slacked off with the cleaning and putting things back in place after the piano arrival in Friday, because I went food shopping and then came home and made stuff for a party. Went to the party and was hung over on Sunday. Then whilst in the midst of a hangover/pajama day... I had friends from the States (they moved back in August 2009) show up at the door! Serves me right! lol

So, one my resolutions is to "FLY" better. ;) I also move significantly back up into the 11s... so, I am determined to get into the 10s, then 9s. *sigh*

Mel

Morning all - todays planned lunch put off to afternoon tea so have done a run round tidy of the downstairs:D. Just the hall to finish and then at least tomorrows "back to reality" will be off with a head start.

Happy sparkly new year all:D
Xxxx

Hey ladies....is it wrong that my deccies are still up?

Task for today - get them down, tidy round, do some mundane work and then get to a 1PM meeting - will I do it? I hope so...

Hey ladies....is it wrong that my deccies are still up?

Nah... I think you can have the weekend when the 12th night falls on a Friday.

Task for today - get them down, tidy round, do some mundane work and then get to a 1PM meeting - will I do it? I hope so...

Decorations off and in boxes, lots of other bits back in storage containers, wreath off of the door and wrapped, tree down, diassembled and ready to be boxed.

Still loads more to do...

I wish I was a natural de clutterer but I have to make myself do it. I'm naturally a messy person, which drives me mad cos I hate mess. I'm having a massive clear out at moment, by end of jan I want a clutter free house x

I wish I was a natural de clutterer but I have to make myself do it. I'm naturally a messy person, which drives me mad cos I hate mess. I'm having a massive clear out at moment, by end of jan I want a clutter free house x

Good Luck -- and anything you accomplish will be a step in the right direction.

Last night, I boxed up (to be put away) some of the Christmas dishes. Plus, moved the rest of the Christmas dishes back to diningroom Court Cupboard.

This morning, I organized a cupboard in the kitchen (the one with vitamins and medicines). I tossed a couple of outdated things. :) There is actually space on a shelf. So, I may be able to use that space for tidying. ;)

Unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded.

But much more to do...

(sneaks back in,wondering if anyone has missed her )

Today I have shined my sink and started to reorganise my kitchen cupboards.

Considered making a to-do list but need to purchase and A4 pad for that !!!!!

*also sneaks back in, having been absent for a long long time!*
spent the last few days of the new year watching How clean is your house? :D
have decided to do a modified flylady zone plan with each room haveing a day of the week - today is the dining room and i know just the job - the glass back doors need a good bleach and scrub!

good news this year i have managed to get into the habit of making the kids packed lunches the night before while cooking dinner, and stacking them ready boxed up (sandwiches in the fridge) - it works! i have time to go a lot slower (and friendlier) in the mornings *phew* :D

also doing well with putting out work clothes the nght before and putting the laundry on overnigt so it can dry throughout the day <---smug

I took everything out of the big utility cupboard, wiped it out, tossed some stuff, reorganised it and was able to put the two boxes of Christmas dishes in there instead of stacked in DH's office! I will tackle the top shelf later this week.

Last edited:
:( hangs head in shame and sulks off....

I will shine my sink before bed at least!

Laundry is my nightmare! I can not keep up no matter how hard I try!
I done some decluttering today, sorted my kitchen, and threw some clothes away, it's a good start. My house is clean, just messy, that's living with men, I'm the only girl in the house.

Morning Ladies.

Wish I could say my house is full of sparkle, but the wheels have definitely come off my cleaning wagon !
Instead the clutter bug has definitely moved in for a holiday. How on earth does this happen ! Routines totally gone and back to CHAOS.

Not to worry, 15 mins at a time.

Keep spreading the sparkle ladies xx

I blame the new year energy slump. For me it's definitely Around the laundry too! Boo hiss!

I may do the hotspots today before work!

Morning... I was up at 5:00. At the launderette on the Air Force base by 5:30 with 6 American-sized washer loads going. All of it was dried, folded (except stuff I air dry) and back at the house before 7:30. I think I may do this every Thursday. I was the only person there -- I was able to read my Kindle for the wash cycle, then dry cycle before starting to fold. Total cost (in case you are wondering if it is coast effective: $15.50, I think. So, less than 10 pounds. I wonder how much in gas and electricity is costs to do that wash at home in a British washer. It is about 15 standard British loads of wash.

Now, to put it all way -- do the ironing, clean the kitchen floor, etc. So much to do and it never ends (Kira, I have two adult males and young pre-teen DD who is at school all day and has activities after school, plus a hairy little beast. So, I feel your pain.)

I hope everyone has a FLY Day!

Mel

Back