Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Sounds nice x does anyone know a recipe for parsnip soup or that incorporates parsnip into it :)

SWEET POTATO AND CHORIZO SOUP - Serves 4 Approx. 5 Syns for the whole recipe 75g diced chorizo - 5 Syns (approx.) 1 onion, chopped 1 large clove of garlic, chopped 750g sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces 2 pints hot chicken or vegetable stock 2 sprigs of rosemary Cook the chorizo in a non-stick pan until the juices run and it is crisp and golden. Remove with a slatted spoon and set aside. Gently cook the onion in the chorizo oil, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Stir in the sweet potato and cover with the stock. Add the rosemary sprigs and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for approx. 15 minutes or until the potatoes are completely soft. Pull the woody rosemary stalks out, leaving any leaves that have dropped off, in the mixture. Whizz with a hand blender or in a processor until the desired consistency, for your taste, is reached. Add a little extra stock or some water if you need to thin it down. Season to taste and serve in warmed bowls, garnished with the fried chorizo.

OMG... This I will be having x

Made this one in the past. It's a take on one of Good Foods recipes. Hope this is what you wanted. :)

SPICY PARSNIP SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Half tsp. ground turmeric
Half tsp. mustard seeds
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
675g parsnips, diced
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
1.2 litres vegetable stock
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 7.
Mix the spices together in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and mix well.
Spray a baking tray thoroughly with Frylight. Spread the veg over the tray and spray thoroughly with Frylight.
Roast for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Re-spray during cooking, if necessary.
Put into a food processor, with half the stock and whizz until smooth.
Pour into a pan, along with the remaining stock. Season, then heat through until just simmering.
Stir through the lemon juice and serve.

Great with crispy bacon pieces scattered over.
If I have Syns to spare, I tend to use olive oil in place of Frylight, as the veg roasts better with this. This isn't crazily spicy. I'm not into very spicy food and I love it! :)

Made this one in the past. It's a take on one of Good Foods recipes. Hope this is what you wanted. :)

SPICY PARSNIP SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Half tsp. ground turmeric
Half tsp. mustard seeds
1 large onion, finely chopped
675g parsnips, diced
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
1.2 litres vegetable stock
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 7.
Mix the spices together in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and mix well.
Spray a baking tray thoroughly with Frylight. Spread the veg over the tray and spray thoroughly with Frylight.
Roast for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Re-spray during cooking, if necessary.
Put into a food processor, with half the stock and whizz until smooth.
Pour into a pan, along with the remaining stock. Season, then heat through until just simmering.
Stir through the lemon juice and serve.

Great with crispy bacon pieces scattered over.
If I have Syns to spare, I tend to use olive oil in place of Frylight, as the veg roasts better with this. This isn't crazily spicy. I'm not into very spicy food and I love it! :)

Thanks that will be great xx got some spare parsnips I need to use lol

FIVE-SPICE HOISIN CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

500g skinless chicken breast, cubed
4 tbsp. Hoisin sauce - 8 Syns
2 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 3 Syns
1 tbsp. reduced-salt soy sauce
Half tsp. five spice mix
25g fresh ginger, very thinly sliced
350g assorted Asian mushrooms, such as shitake, oyster, etc.
350g pak choi, cut into 8cm thin lengths

Put the chicken in a shallow bowl.
Combine the hoisin, chilli sauce and soy sauce, with the 5 spice and 2 tbsp. water.
Drizzle half over the chicken, then turn the chicken pieces to coat. Reserve the remaining sauce.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Cook the chicken for about 15 minutes, turning frequently, until thoroughly cooked through.
Meanwhile, spray another large pan or wok well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the ginger and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden.
Add the greens and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring, or until these are tender.
Tip the reserved sauce into the greens and stir around.
Serve the chicken and greens with wholegrain rice or quinoa (thoroughly rinsed before cooking).

This is so delicious, yet another brill recipe Kathy! I make something almost exactly the same but served with noodles. Also NB for anyone interested the Asda 'chosen by you' chinese pouches are very low in syns, the hoisin one in particular is 5syns for the whole thing (120g enough for 2-3 id say) so would keep the syns in this dish even lower :)

CHORIZO PASTA SOUP - Serves 6

Approx. 2 Syn per serving

200g thinly sliced chorizo - 13 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 litres hot vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 fresh sprigs of rosemary
2 courgettes, finely chopped
300g pasta shapes
100g baby spinach

Cook the chorizo in a non-stick pan until the oils run and the chorizo is golden.
Add the onion (which I normally soften, before adding, in the microwave with a little water) and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the carrot and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the stock, tomatoes and rosemary sprigs. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta, according to pack instructions, until almost tender.
Add the drained pasta to the pan, along with the courgette.
Simmer for about 4 minutes, until the pasta is al dente. Season with salt and black pepper.
Stir in the spinach until just wilted.
Serve in warmed bowls, maybe sprinkled with some HEX grated Parmesan.

Adapted from a Take a Break recipe. This soup is really tasty. :)

CHEESY CHORIZO BAKED POTATOES - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving, if using the cheese as part HEX's

4 decent sized baking potatoes
Half a red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
60g thinly sliced and chopped, chorizo - approx. 4 Syns
Half a small pack of basil leaves, shredded
100g grated reduced fat Mozarella - 65g = 1 Hex

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Wash the potatoes and dry well, then prick several times with a fork.
Bake for about one to one and a half hours or until they feel soft. Alternatively, cook them in the microwave.
While the potatoes cook, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Add the garlic and chorizo and cook until the chorizo oils run and it turns golden.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Season and stir in half of the basil.
Divide the mixture between the split potatoes and top with the cheese and the remainder of the chopped basil.

If you like, you can substitute the can of tomatoes with chopped fresh tomatoes but be careful when simmering and add a little water to the pan, if necessary.
Obviously, you can also use a different cheese and, if you want to lose the Syns, you can use chopped ham instead, adding it right at the end. Personally, I can't resist the chorizo though! :D

COURGETTE AND LENTIL DHAL - Serves 2

3 Syns each, if using oil

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns (Can use Frylight but the lentils do better in oil).
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
226g dried red lentils
Half pint vegetable stock
340g courgette, chopped into small cubes

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan (or spray with Frylight) and add the spices, stirring for a few minutes, until they release their aroma.
Add the lentils and stir for another minute.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the stock.
Simmer for 10 minutes, before adding the courgette.
Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender, adding more water, if necessary.

Lovely served with fried onions on top and, if you want a more golden colour, you could also add in a little turmeric.
Lovely served with rice and sprinkled with HEX grated cheese.

This recipe is from a site called Fuss Free Flavours.

COURGETTE AND LENTIL DHAL - Serves 2

3 Syns each, if using oil

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns (Can use Frylight but the lentils do better in oil).
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
226g dried red lentils
Half pint vegetable stock
340g courgette, chopped into small cubes

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan (or spray with Frylight) and add the spices, stirring for a few minutes, until they release their aroma.
Add the lentils and stir for another minute.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the stock.
Simmer for 10 minutes, before adding the courgette.
Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender, adding more water, if necessary.

Lovely served with fried onions on top and, if you want a more golden colour, you could also add in a little turmeric.
Lovely served with rice and sprinkled with HEX grated cheese.

This recipe is from a site called Fuss Free Flavours.

Thanks Chocko - hope all's well with you? x

Yes, fine thanks, upndown. Glad to have heard from Doreen. Hope she enjoyed the birthday party but also hope she can relax a bit now! :) Hope things are good with you and Cloudy too.

Kathy x

SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CURRY - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 large, skinless chicken breast, cubed
Approx. 600g potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp. grated, fresh ginger, or to taste
1-2 tbsp. curry powder
Frozen peas
FF coconut yoghurt or a few drops of coconut essence

Spray the slow cooker with Frylight - just to make washing up easier.
Mix the curry powder into the chopped tomatoes.
Add everything, except the peas and yoghurt (add the essence, if using), to the slow cooker.
Stir in a sprinkling of salt.
Cook on Low for about 7 hours or on High for about 3 hours.
Add the frozen peas during the last two minutes of cooking.
Turn off the cooker and add in some coconut yoghurt, if using.
Lovely served with plain boiled rice.

Instead of yoghurt, you could add in some reduced-fat coconut milk, along with the other ingredients but, don't forget to Syn. 400g = 14.5 Syns. When I have used coconut milk, there is sometimes quite a large amount of liquid left at the end of cooking so I transfer everything to a large pan and boil it rapidly, until the desired consistency is reached.

I also sometimes stir in some baby spinach, just prior to serving.

SPICED LAMB WITH CHICKPEAS - Serves 4

Syn Free

650g lamb neck fillets or leg steaks, all visible fat removed and cut into cubes
2 small red onions, finely chopped
One to one and a half tsp. ground cumin
One to one and a half tsp. ground coriander
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
250ml hot vegetable stock
Small handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped, with a few left whole to garnish

Spray a large, non-stick casserole dish or pan well with Frylight. Heat.
When hot, add the lamb, in batches, and cook until browned all over.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Reduce the heat and add the onions to the dish/pan, cooking until softened. As mentioned many times before, I start my onions off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed the softening process up.
Stir in the spices and cook for one minute.
Add the chickpeas, lemon juice (if using), stock and tomatoes. Then add the lamb and any juices.
Mix well, cover and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
Uncover the dish/pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the liquid has sufficiently reduced and the lamb is meltingly tender.
Stir the chopped mint through, then serve, garnished with the remaining mint leaves.

Lovely with couscous or HEX crusty bread.

This is a take on a recipe from the Delicious magazine.

Back