Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SMOKED BACON SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 medium BNS, approx. 750g
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200g smoked bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1 litre hot chicken or veg stock
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
4 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt

Peel the BNS, slice in half, remove the seeds and all the stringy bits. Chop into smallish chunks.
Grill the bacon until lightly crisp, then snip into pieces with some kitchen scissors.
Add the oil to a large, non-stick pan and fry the onion over a low heat until soft. If you cover with a lid it will speed things up.
Add the garlic, chilli (if using), thyme and BNS and cook for 3 minutes.
Pour in the hot stock and simmer until the BNS is soft.
Blend until smooth, return to the pan, add three quarters of the bacon and re-heat.
Serve in warmed bowls with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and the remaining bacon pieces. Taste before adding salt, because of the bacon.

I sometimes add a little paprika, instead of chilli.

This is a recipe based on one by Booths supermarket.

I have to make this. Sounds yummy

What page is this on. Thanks xx

I can't remember what page I saw it on but I have the recipe here anyway,

MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

Syn Free

500g extra lean minced beef - I've started asking my butcher if he could mince me some of his extra lean stewing steak and it tastes so much better than supermarket mince and it's working out cheaper!
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 egg, whisked with a fork

For the sauce -

8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, finely chopped
Two handfuls of mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. dried oregano
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
200ml beef stock

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Mix the mince, diced onion and egg together with some salt and pepper.
Roll into meatballs and place on a baking tray. Cover with cling film and put into the fridge.
Spray a large, ovenproof pan or dish well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms in with a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have shrunk slightly.
When the mushrooms have shrunk down a little, put the meatballs into the oven.
Add the oregano and Worcestershire sauce to the tomato mixture. Stir well and continue to cook gently, until the meatballs are cooked through - about 15-20 minutes. Turn the meatballs during the cooking time.
Remove the meatballs from the oven, when completely cooked through and add to the tomato mixture.
Put the lid on the ovenproof pan/dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Serve with lots of pasta.

xxx

I can't remember what page I saw it on but I have the recipe here anyway, MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4 Syn Free 500g extra lean minced beef - I've started asking my butcher if he could mince me some of his extra lean stewing steak and it tastes so much better than supermarket mince and it's working out cheaper! 1 red onion, finely chopped 1 egg, whisked with a fork For the sauce - 8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, diced 1 large red onion, finely chopped Two handfuls of mushrooms, thinly sliced 2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed 1 tbsp. dried oregano Worcestershire sauce, to taste 200ml beef stock Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7. Mix the mince, diced onion and egg together with some salt and pepper. Roll into meatballs and place on a baking tray. Cover with cling film and put into the fridge. Spray a large, ovenproof pan or dish well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms in with a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have shrunk slightly. When the mushrooms have shrunk down a little, put the meatballs into the oven. Add the oregano and Worcestershire sauce to the tomato mixture. Stir well and continue to cook gently, until the meatballs are cooked through - about 15-20 minutes. Turn the meatballs during the cooking time. Remove the meatballs from the oven, when completely cooked through and add to the tomato mixture. Put the lid on the ovenproof pan/dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with lots of pasta. xxx

Thanks very much xx

To find a recipe easily, Sian - GO TO ONE OF THE RECIPE LISTS ON PAGES 55 OR 98. PRESS CTRL AND F. THIS WILL BRING UP A BOX ON THE SCREEN. TYPE, SAY MEATBALLS INTO THE BOX AND ALL THE RECIPES CONTAINING THE WORD 'MEATBALLS' WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED ON THE INDEX LIST. Hope this helps. :) xx

BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNE - Serves 6

Syn Free, if using cheese as HEX's

400g can chopped tomatoes
400g passata
1 large onion, finely diced
600g diced BNS
2 peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
500g Quark
2 large eggs
Dried lasagne sheets
150-180g medium or mature Cheddar, grated

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Put the passata, tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers and squash in a pan with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Mix the Quark with the eggs, some of the grated cheese and a little seasoning. Set aside.
Layer a third of the passata mix in a large ovenproof dish. Top with lasagne sheets, then add a third of Quark.
Repeat until all the Quark and passata mix have been used up.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.

This recipe is based on one by Amy Jones.

Try adding a handful of chopped basil to the passata mix and a tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon to the Quark, for extra flavour.

To find a recipe easily, Sian - GO TO ONE OF THE RECIPE LISTS ON PAGES 55 OR 98. PRESS CTRL AND F. THIS WILL BRING UP A BOX ON THE SCREEN. TYPE, SAY MEATBALLS INTO THE BOX AND ALL THE RECIPES CONTAINING THE WORD 'MEATBALLS' WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED ON THE INDEX LIST. Hope this helps. :) xx

I use my phone not a computer so wouldn't work.. But thanks :) x

CHILLI BEEF NOODLES - Serves 2

Approx. 5 Syns per serving

250g dried egg noodles
250g rump steak, sliced about 1cm thick
1 level tsp. cornflour - 1 Syn
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 peppers, one red and one green, deseeded and thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
3 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 4.5 Syns
1 tbsp. reduced salt light soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil - 4 Syns

Cook the noodles, according to pack instructions. When cooked, run under cold water, in a colander. Return to the pan and set aside.
Toss the steak strips in the cornflour.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, until almost smoking. Add the garlic, ginger and steak strips and cook for one and a half to two minutes, until the steak is browned all over. Do not over-cook though, or the steak will become tough.
Add the veg and soy sauce and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the chilli sauce and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the noodles and allow to heat through.

Could use mangetout, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, etc., instead of the above veg.

CHILLI BEEF NOODLES - Serves 2

Approx. 5 Syns per serving

250g dried egg noodles
250g rump steak, sliced about 1cm thick
1 level tsp. cornflour - 1 Syn
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 peppers, one red and one green, deseeded and thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
3 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 4.5 Syns
1 tbsp. reduced salt light soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil - 4 Syns

Cook the noodles, according to pack instructions. When cooked, run under cold water, in a colander. Return to the pan and set aside.
Toss the steak strips in the cornflour.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, until almost smoking. Add the garlic, ginger and steak strips and cook for one and a half to two minutes, until the steak is browned all over. Do not over-cook though, or the steak will become tough.
Add the veg and soy sauce and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the chilli sauce and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the noodles and allow to heat through.

Could use mangetout, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, etc., instead of the above veg.

Thx Kathy - another lovely recipe to try! xx

Pg 158

Just had a free version of this.
1 bns,
4 red peppers
handful of chopped onion
a little salt
4 chicken oxo.
1 litre boiling water.

Deseed & cut up bns & peppers, pour in stock boil till soft, Blitz.

I was surprised how lovely it tasted. Another good one Kathy

Thx Doreen always good to have free foods!xx

ROAST VEGETABLE AND MOZARELLA BAKE - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving, if using the Mozarella as part HEX's and dependent on how many tbsp. of pesto you use.

200g dried pasta shapes
175g finely chopped onion
330g peppers, deseeded and chopped into 1cm dice
150g courgette, chopped into 1cm dice
250g mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
Reduced-fat Mozarella - however much you want. 65g = 1 HEX
1 level tbsp. pesto - Red = 2.5, Green = 3 Syns
Dried herbs, to taste

Fry all the chopped veg. in the oil for 3-4 minutes.
Add the dried herbs, chopped tomatoes and pesto.
Meanwhile, be cooking the pasta shapes until tender. Drain well, mix with the vegetables and tomato sauce and place in an ovenproof casserole dish.
Chop the Mozarella into small pieces and dot over the pasta.
Bake in a pre-heated oven 175C/Gas 3/4 for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted into the pasta.

Obviously, you could use a different cheese, if you prefer.

This is a Morrison's recipe.

BAKED PAPRIKA EGGS - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving

4 medium eggs
1 tsp. olive oil - 2 Syns
1 slice of red pepper, finely chopped
1 mild red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 spring onion, sliced into 4 pieces
2 tbsp. basil leaves, finely chopped/torn
1 tbsp. chives, chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, over a medium heat.
Add the pepper and fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden at the edges.
Add the garlic, chilli and paprika and fry for 1 minute.
Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened and reduced.
Season to taste.
Divide the sauce between four ramekin dishes and create a well in the centre of each.
Crack an egg into each well, transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the egg white has set and the yolk is cooked to your liking.
Serve scattered with the spring onion and the basil. Could also sprinkle with a small amount of chilli flakes, if liked.

Could add half a teaspoon of sweetener in with the seasoning, if you like.

This recipe is based on one by Ocado.

Good served with HEX crusty bread.

CHICKEN AND CHILLI BURGERS - Serves 4

3.5 Syns for the whole recipe

1 onion, peeled and quartered
4 skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
1 handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 fresh hot red chillies, deseeded
1 level tbsp. flour - 3.5 Syns
1 egg

Put the onion, chicken, garlic, chillies and coriander in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper, and pulse until combined. Be careful not to over-do it and turn it into a paste.
Mix in the flour and egg, by hand.
Using your hands, scoop out a small handful of mixture, roll, then flatten into a burger shape.
Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
Grill the burgers under a medium grill, for about 8-10 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.

Lovely served on HEX rolls, stuffed with salad, a bit of Synned mayo and a sprinkling of HEX grated cheese - especially with a side of SW chips/wedges.

Obviously, alter the amount of chilli used or omit altogether, if preferred.

This is an Ocado recipe.

SLOW COOKED CHICKEN AND CHORIZO - Serves 6

Approx. 2 Syns per serving, if using 200g chorizo

3 peppers, any colour, deseeded and chopped into chunks
1 large onion, chopped
4 skinless chicken breasts or thighs
200g chorizo - 13 Syns - best to use a sausage of chorizo for this, instead of diced pieces
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Cajun spices
1 tsp. chilli powder or 1 red chilli, finely chopped - with or without seeds

Place all the chopped veg in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the chicken pieces on top.
Chop the chorizo to whatever thickness you prefer and throw it in.
Add the stock, with the tomatoes and spices mixed in. Stir some seasoning in too but be careful not to use too much salt, because of the chorizo.
Pour this mixture over the chicken and veg, ensuring the chicken is covered.
Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through before serving.
If there is a little too much liquid left, at the end of cooking, you could either cook it uncovered, on High, to let some of the liquid evaporate or, as I do, (it's quicker) transfer to a large pan and boil some of the liquid off, over a high heat.

Lovely served with boiled rice.

This recipe is based on one from the Good Food mag.

SPICED RED LENTIL AND BACON SOUP - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
70g smoked bacon, all visible fat removed and chopped
A pinch of dried chilli flakes or 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin seeds
350g BNS, peeled and diced
200g dried red lentils
1 level tsp. runny honey - 1 Syn
600ml vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan and cook the onion gently until beginning to soften. If you put a lid on this will speed things up a bit.
Stir in the bacon pieces and cook for a further few minutes, until they look cooked through.
Add the chilli, cumin, BNS and red lentils and toss them together.
Add the chopped tomatoes, honey and stock, then simmer for 20 minutes or until very tender.
Serve chunky or put into a food processor and blend until smooth, before returning to the pan to heat through.

You can, of course, try this without the oil and just use Frylight but, I have to say, for the sake of 2 Syns, it works better with the oil. You could also omit the honey but, again, it tastes better with it. :)

This recipe is based on one from Booths supermarket.

Back