**Desperate need some help as I've put on 1lb**

Yes, Dr. Atkins' widow set up an Atkins Trust to support and maintain the Atkins way of life, and values, as well as to fund further research into Atkins principles. Atkins Nutrionals, which makes all the choc bars and shakes and pasta etc, is a totally separate company. On The Atkins Community website it is regularly pointed-out that the stuff manufactured by Atkins Nutritionals is not endorsed by The Atkins Trust.

Dr. Atkins did not approve of 'frankenfoods' - highly processed items requiring a high level of food technology to produce - and also disliked the use of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame which he regarded as dangerous to health.

I don't know about Dr. Atkins recommending 'purple' on the stix but accepted wisdom nowadays holds that the stix can be ridiculously unreliable at the best of times and also that a deep purple reading, as someone pointed out, is more likely to indicate some level of dehydration than it is, ketosis.

I have been on Atkins for many years and have never yet turned a ketostick darker than blush pink! Yet every other physical indication showed that I was definitely in ketosis. Be guided by appetite, lack of cravings, and a sense of energetic and positive wellbeing.

The Atkins goodies are notorious for causing stalls and gains. Cream too has to be severely limited for many, as does cheese. 15g per day minimum green leafy vegetables is recommended - Dr. Atkins was particularly keen on stressing the importance of suitable veggies - and anything that is fake or highly processed should be cut down or better still, out.

Induction is designed to get us all safely and firmly into ketosis so we can then go on to Ongoing Weight Loss. Some people need more than a couple of weeks to get that ketosis established. Having said that weight loss on Atkins is never linear. Fluid variations make a huge difference as do hormone levels, particularly in women. Even constipation can make a 2lb or more 'gain'on the scales.

Most Atkins oldtimers here (lol) are rightly advising that you go lean and green. Sweet SF treats contain polyols - sugar alcohols - and they have a rightly-deserved reputation for affecting not only losses but also cravings.

Stick with the rules and you will soon see losses again - but not as fast as the first couple of weeks. Atkins doesn't work that way.

On page 28 of the edition I have, Dr Atkins says "I know that if my patients were to keep losing they had to keep in ketosis-so that the urine test sticks turned purple." However the book was published in 1972 & things have moved on since.

He also said, "Drink as much water or calorie-free beverages as thirst requires. Don't restrict fluids but it is not necessary to force them either." The rules there may have changed too.

Thank you for updating us girlygirl1. :)

Last edited:
Thank you both for the info I have resisted buying the ketosticks as a lot of others have said how unreliable they are. So I do feel I am a bit unaware of what's going on good to know I am not alone though. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I can't speak for the ketostix of yore, when the good Doctor was still alive, but it is well known now that they are very unreliable and are more often registering levels of hydration or lack of it (deep purple all too often is the latter) than degrees of ketosis.

I have been low-carbing for years now and have never once registered more than blush-pink, even during the strictest Induction phase! Many people never see a change of colour, surprisingly, yet they know by their lack of hunger and cravings, and by their increased energy (not to mention the yukky breath and odd-smelling urine!) that they are most definitely in ketosis.

I would also say, a key part of this diet is leafy green vegetables. Many times people stall, slow or even gain a little and find that, when they take the minimum of 15g leafy green veg daily, their weight loss starts again. I would leave out tomatoes and onions for now. Sugar-free stuff, well, is full of polyols (sugar alcohols) and they are notorious for causing stalls, STS and even gains. They can also interfere with ketosis so, hard though it is, best to leave them alone for now.

If you are desperate for something sweet then a small portion of whipped cream (no more than 2 tablespoonsful per day) with a bit of powdered splenda and maybe a little bit of cocoa powder, usually sees off the cravings. When you are properly in ketosis these cravings should go.

Wise words girly!:)

Thank you Girlygirl1 for the suggestion of leafy green vegetables. I've just bought some tomatoes & can't afford to waste them... Grr..

Last edited:
Yes, it is commonly believed now that the ketostix are more likely to be showing levels of hydration (or dehydration!) than they are, ketones in the urine. It makes sense that when the urine is more dilute due to drinking extra water the ketone level will be less.

I use my body signs to judge ketosis, not the stix lol.

Back