Diabetes, insulin, and losing weight...

Lisamac30

Hi All,

I am a type 2 diabetic currently on Insulin as I feel I can control my blood sugar levels better and I am trying to lower my HBA1C results. (although I don't have to be on insulin)

I have just been doing some research on diabetic medication and losing weight however, and insulin actually fuels hunger, and is stored in your fat cells making it much harder to lose weight. :eek:

Metformin however, (which is what I was on before) is an appetite supresser apparently which is great news, and I will obviously go back on it now. :D

Just wondering if there are any other diabetics out there with any other tips or advice re losing weight??

Thanks in advance,

Just thought i'd update...

Since losing some weight I am no longer on the insulin, my HBA1C has come down to 6.6 from being in the 7's and 8's, and my cholesterol is now 4.4 and come January I may not need to be on the Cholesterol tabs at all!!!

I'm so pleased that my health is on the way up my body has to last me a long time (hopefully) and I intend to look after it from now on, it's amazing that only after a short period of time i'm getting the right results!

Just thought i'd update...

Since losing some weight I am no longer on the insulin, my HBA1C has come down to 6.6 from being in the 7's and 8's, and my cholesterol is now 4.4 and come January I may not need to be on the Cholesterol tabs at all!!!

I'm so pleased that my health is on the way up my body has to last me a long time (hopefully) and I intend to look after it from now on, it's amazing that only after a short period of time i'm getting the right results!

That's great news Lisa, well done. One of the reasons i want to lose weight is to hopefully reduce medication (high cholesterol and diabetes) It is really encouraging to see that this can be done. I am next due to have my HBA1C done in December and hopefully will be lower than 7 (which is the lowest it has been so far). I am at the start of a long journey but seeing that results can be achieved is really helpful :)

I have just been doing some research on diabetic medication and losing weight however, and insulin actually fuels hunger, and is stored in your fat cells making it much harder to lose weight. :eek:

Metformin however, (which is what I was on before) is an appetite supresser apparently which is great news, and I will obviously go back on it now. :D

Hiya, am glad to hear you having good results now. Are you on any particular eating plan? I have t2 diabetes and have been threatened with insulin in the past, my gp said I'd be on it if he had his way.

I'm terrified of insulin, not cos of injecting, it's the fact as you say it fuels hunger and is the 'fat storing hormone'.

I find the best eating plan for me is low carb as it keeps my sugar levels stable, pity I can't stick to it lol. I am on 5 Met. a day and added an extra one myself, so now 6. I dunno about it being an appetite suppressant but it certainly can give an upset tummy after too much fat.:eek:

My hba1c has crept up to 8.6 and colesterol 5.3 but my good colesterol is high which is good and bad colesterol is just a tad high owever the total number looks bad but it's not the full story.

Soz, am rambling as per usual lol but my point is I am happy for you that you've found a way to manage your sugar levels and that I need to get a grip with my eating and sort myself out.:)

Hi Lyn,

I have basically changed my whole lifestyle and the more weight I lose (baring in mind I have to keep it off in the future) the more I believe this is the right and only option for me to lose it, and like I say keep it off long term!

I have lost weight with 'DIETS' in the past and also weight loss tablets, but once I stopped them the weight went back on with help from having 2 children too, and I never felt I could keep it up long term. I am not on a diet now, but i've changed food's that were previously full of fat etc for healthier alternatives...for eg, I don't know about you but I couldn't live the rest of my life without chocolate, but now I buy the weetabix oaty bar's with milk choc which come in at 0.5g saturated fat rather than a double decker or mars bar which come in at around 6.2g saturated fat per bar! I have half fat cheese and instead of having a whole sandwich with it in i'll have 1 slice so i'm not going without anything and less likely to fail through cravings...my portion sizes are also smaller probably half what I used to eat and I know have a specific smaller plate which helps with that - i've even brought it away to my mother in laws with me!! lol

I basically have a low fat 'healthy' diet now and have recently joined a Gym, and walk everywhere too!

Good luck with your weight loss, use your health as a focus, maybe research what could happen in the future if you don't lose weight and eat a healthy diet - i know it scares the life out of me!!

Good luck with your weight loss, use your health as a focus, maybe research what could happen in the future if you don't lose weight and eat a healthy diet - i know it scares the life out of me!!

Woah, you can say that again, too scary for words! Thing is though it kinda has opposite effect on me, I get meself all annoyed etc and that fuels a binge so best thing I can do is focus on an eating plan that won't cause too much fluctuation on my bs readings.

I was thinking of starting to use vibroplates as an intro to exercising, meant to be really good.:)

Blacking out at work in early September led me to being diagnosed as being on the cusp of t2 diabetes - it is scary, but I'm trying to turn it into a positive.

Because I've also been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid they want to get that right before trying me on metformin and currently the combination of low carbs and thyroxine has caused the weight to fall off me. Admittedly I was very heavy to begin with but low carbing is keeping my sugars stable and I feel a lot better. I'm also feeling my weight more strangely - I think over the last 2 years everything felt so lousy I didn't notice it, but with the aches in my legs and back disappearing I'm much more aware of the heaviness on my chest and around my middle. Perhaps this is the wrong place for this but having next to no libido for years is also being to change:eek:

I'm trying to have protein with every meal at the moment and have six small meals rather than 2-3 large ones. I'm still peeing for England but I've tripled my water intake.

I don't think I'm going to get rid of enough fatty tissue to avoid going on metformin, I've been reintroducing carbs as an experiment and have always felt sweaty and tired within 20 minutes each time. I really want to get my bmi under 40 to give me a chance to avoid taking external insulin - I'm not scared of needles, just feel if I can do without it for now it will give my metabolism a chance to heal.

I should never have let myself get in this state, but I did, I'm grateful to health services for the support they give me, but I find them too defeatist - they don't think I will sustain weight loss, they see insulin as inevitable. Places like this forum are far more supportive, and I'm finding the low carb ideas really useful.

I started SW to really help with my type 2 diabetes. I take 5 x metformins a day and was told I could start taking a different medication as well but Insulin was next on the list. I had been on injections twice before when I was pregnant and want to stay off for as long as possible. I knew weight loss would be a good start and within 1 week I reduced my medication by 1 tablet. I couldnt believe it! My Hb1ac was spot on last visit and Im only 8weeks into the diet, so hopefully this will only get better. Luckily I can measure my blood sugars with my meter so I know exactly when they are low. But a more sensible diet has definately improved things for me :D

Update!!
After losing my way for a few months and putting 14lb back on my Hba1c is up to 7.4, and im still on the cholesterol tablets!!
After more research I'm now on a Low Gi Diet plus exercise.
I'd forgotten how well I was doing before, with regards to my Diabetes and weight loss, and I'm a bit bummed I've let myself down!
It really does have to be a sustainable life change...
How is everyone else doing, any new diabetics?
Cheers,

Are you back on insulin Lisa? if not then maybe you could talk to your doctor about byetta, its a fairly new drug in the UK, and not insulin. It has changed my life, albeit it has not been an easy journey. Bloods now 6 or under and weight down almost 5 stone!

My cholestrol is also normal coming in at less than 5, although im still on statins at the moment. Also take glucophage which is the slow release version of metformin, couldnt hack the side effects of metformin, but glucophage has been fine for me.

Hi Lynn,
No i'm not back on Insulin, im on metformin, gliclazide, and statins. I spoke to my doc last week re the new drug but because of my age, the fact that I have been doing pretty well, and because she feels im on drugs that have been tried and tested for years now, she wants me to stay on them for now. Obviously my diabetes will probably only get worse as I get older, so she feels they need to keep the more advanced drugs etc for then...

I know I am capable of keeping my sugars stable, and getting my Hba1c back down, so I just gotta do it, and stick to it!! :)

Fantastic to hear you are doing so well too, thanks for the advice, and let me know how your getting on from time to time...

Take care,

Back