Diary of a binge eater.

That's too bad. My sponsee couldn't find a meeting near her and has to drive an hour to get to our meetings. There are online meetings - I lead one on a Friday night at http://oa12step4coes.org/. They have meetings thought the day 7 days a week (timings are EST so you need to add 5 hours). There is also a group on FB called Compulsive Overeaters in Recovery. It is a closed group so none of your posts would show up in your news feed for your friends to see. I've found that very helpful. You just need to request to join (they don't refuse anyone)

Thanks for sharing the link etc, there's actually a group just down the road from me on Tuesdays. Considering going, what happens at the sessions? Thanks :)

Basically people share their experiences, what's going on in their lives, their issues with food. No one has to speak and sometimes I just sit and listen. The thing is that you soon discover that food is not the problem, but other things in your life that lead you to binging and overeating. The programme helps you to deal with all aspects of your life and so people tend to discuss how they are using the programme to help with various things.

Most meetings start with a reading, either from OA literature, or a The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (same programme) - we alternate each week between the BB and OA literature.

At our meeting (and this is the same for most meetings) people share uninterrupted (we ask for no cross-sharing and saving questions till the end of the meeting). I really like this as it is one time during the week that I can be totally honest about how I'm feeling and know that no one will judge me for it.

Try it and see. It is recommended that you attend 6 meetings before deciding if it is for you or not. Going to your first one is scary and people there know that so will be gentle ;). It is the best thing I ever did.

Meetings are also the best place to get a sponsor, though there are plenty of people who will sponsor online via emails, texts, phone, etc.

Thank you, that's really helpful! :)

Thank you, that's really helpful! :)

No problem. :). The 12th step of OA is to carry the message to other compulsive overeaters :)

Am i right in thinking you can get some support online if you can't get to a meeting x

Hi everyone,
have been reading everyone's posts in this thread with great interest as I have had lots of food struggles throughout my adult life, including anorexia and binge eating disorder. In fact, the anorexia sparked the BED. Although I've got more of a handle on my erratic eating these days, I still have binges (where I probably consume over 5000 calls in one go) and these are pretty much ALWAYS triggered by periods of dieting or restrictive eating. It's great to read about others experiences and see the support you are able to give each other, especially as I understand how truly terrifying, shameful and stigmatising binge eating can be.
Xxx

Hi everyone,
have been reading everyone's posts in this thread with great interest as I have had lots of food struggles throughout my adult life, including anorexia and binge eating disorder. In fact, the anorexia sparked the BED. Although I've got more of a handle on my erratic eating these days, I still have binges (where I probably consume over 5000 calls in one go) and these are pretty much ALWAYS triggered by periodof dieting or restrictive eating. It's great to read about others experiences and see the support you are able to give each other, especially as I understand how truly terrifying, shameful and stigmatising binge eating can be.
Xxx

Hi Clare,
Thank you for your open and honest post.
I too have swung from starving myself to eating everything in sight before making myself sick. I've also tried everything in between - VLCD, pills etc...
I've found this thread so supportive. I confessed my issues on this thread and found a wealth of support which enabled me to open up to my OH and to try to 'beat' my food issues. Its an ongoing daily battle but I feel better knowing I'm not alone and if I have a bad day I can come here for support, not judgement.

I hope you also find the support you need from the thread xx

Hi everyone,
have been reading everyone's posts in this thread with great interest as I have had lots of food struggles throughout my adult life, including anorexia and binge eating disorder. In fact, the anorexia sparked the BED. Although I've got more of a handle on my erratic eating these days, I still have binges (where I probably consume over 5000 calls in one go) and these are pretty much ALWAYS triggered by periods of dieting or restrictive eating. It's great to read about others experiences and see the support you are able to give each other, especially as I understand how truly terrifying, shameful and stigmatising binge eating can be.
Xxx

Hi Claire, thank you for posting. It's really positive to hear that people are working through there issues even if they haven't fully beaten them. When I started this thread I didn't expect this level of support or as many people to be going through the same thing but the support is really helpful.

Am i right in thinking you can get some support online if you can't get to a meeting x

Yes. As I said, there are online meetings. The FB group is also a good one for support.

Morning. I've read willows diary and would really recommend anyone struggling to have a read, it's really inspirational.

Yesterday was yet another binge, I've got weigh in later its bound to be a big gain but I've accepted it, it's my own fault.

Really looking into the oa online meeting, I think they could really help me as I've been binging for 10 yrs and only ever tried to deal with it through dieting. Don't get me wrong that's worked for short periods of time in the past but obviously there's other issues that I need to deal with.

I'm trying to draw a line today but think its going to be hard.

Gained a 1lb today I'm ok with it expected more. Setting a target of 3lb of next week.

B- scrambled egg, mushrooms, toast and brown sauce
L- pork, mustard mash, broccoli , 2 yorkie puds & gravy.
T- sw quiche with mushy peas

Hex a- milk & cheese hex b- wm bread & pork

Snacks- apple, banana
Syns- brown sauce 2, mustard 1, half bag French fries 2.5, yorkie puds 4, gravy 2.

Total- 10.5
Weekly total- 94.5

Exercise- 45 min spin class

B- wheats nix
L- savoury rice
T- sw chips, mushy peas, bread & mint sauce

Hex a- milk
Hex b- wheatabix & bread

Snacks- pineapple, 2 apples. 2 boiled eggs.

Syns- savoury rice- 0.5, mint sauce- 2. Total - 2.5

No exercise

Last edited:
Helloo, so I went to that OA group on Tuesday! There are a few weird things that happen like all the 'readings' or certain prayers, and the holding hands at the end. But in general found it really supportive, and thoroughly enjoyed going through all the reading material they gave me.. very helpful!

I've decided to book the next two weeks off SW as holiday and just focus on normal healthy eating without having to think about synning etc (recently if I use near the full amount it tends to send me on a binge for some reason) and also this will take away the pressure of weigh in. Just going to count the days in a row I can go without binging... day one.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Helloo, so I went to that OA group on Tuesday! There are a few weird things that happen like all the 'readings' or certain prayers, and the holding hands at the end. But in general found it really supportive, and thoroughly enjoyed going through all the reading material they gave me.. very helpful!

I've decided to book the next two weeks off SW as holiday and just focus on normal healthy eating without having to think about synning etc (recently if I use near the full amount it tends to send me on a binge for some reason) and also this will take away the pressure of weigh in. Just going to count the days in a row I can go without binging... day one.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Hi Hun well done going to the class x I am on day 2 of being binge free I have decided not to eat any trigger foods that I know I can't just eat one of ;-) & will see how I go. Good luck hopefully you will have day 2 tomorrow xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back