Diet and Career... eek!

Canadatogo

I work as a chef, mostly doing pastry, which can be pretty devastating for my diet on days when I don't have an iron will! I'll be going back to college in sept, but still working on weekends and during my hols. I'm not sure if many of you others have similar jobs, but it tends to take over my life. 12-hour shifts are considred pretty standard, and you usually just eat whatever you can grab between tasks. There's always lots of temptation in my section, and my will is better on some days than others...

Does anyone have any advice on sticking to plan? I needed a kickstart last week, so I only ate raw foods during my shift (apples, berries, raw vegetables) which was a bit extreme, but it did give my diet a kickstart.

Any ideas, advice, or anything at all would be a huge help, thanks!

Ouch, I sympathise. I am also a cook in a restaurant which is famous for its cakes, which is my true weakness. It is especially hard to avoid eating them as absolutely everybody else does. Even if I don't have much time, I am the only one who ever brings lunches to work cos at least I have control over that, then it is more motivating for me to resist temptation since I tell myself I have made that much effort, I can resist more too. Plus, whenever I don't lose in a week, there's my motivation. It is definitely a ridiculous environment to work in when you're on a diet but I have told my colleagues how much weight I have lost (they asked as I never ate things there and always said no to cake) and now a lot of them are on board with that and when I say "Oh I feel like a tiny piece of cake", some of them are even like "NO DON'T YOU DARE" and actually keep me from having it as they know how much it means to me and how far I've come. It might be one of the good places to tell people you're on a diet, as opposed to friends and family. There is no magic solution but I hope you find something that works. Hang in there :) x

PS: Canada, woohoo! <3

Back