Disproportionate weightloss

Robotica

I made a reply on another thread, and it reminded me of this issue I had.

Last time I dieted I reached around 110lbs, and stayed around that area, give our take a few pounds.
A lot of people said I was too skinny, regardless I liked my thin arms, my just slightly boney shoulders, my legs. My stomach stayed big, I realise I'll need some exercise for that, but that can wait for now.

My problem is with my feet. They were hidious, anorexic, alien like even. The bones and veins were popping out, it was gross. Right now they aren't as bad, a bit boney but not as bad.

Am worried being back on my diet would take them back to that point, anyone know why that is or how to prevent it?
I could post pictures of the difference, but they're kinda disgusting ;(

Just my opinion, I am not a diet expert or anything.

I don't think it's healthy for you to lose weight, your feet are going like because it's a sign you are too thin?

But like I said, it's only my feet, and my arms, still got fat tummy, thighs, and of course, the lovehandles that simply will not go away.

A body fat calculator shows I still have much to lose.. Yet it seems to go from unwanted places faster than anywhere I'd like it go from :(

8stone is tiny! I don't see how you can have a fat tummy at 8stone. It sucks but you can't lose weight just in a certain place! I think the best solution for you is to not lose weight, but hit the gym and tone up.

The BMI that you are aiming for is classed in the underweight zone. The weight you are now is smack bang in the middle

I don't wanna get underweight, of course I'll stop if I get go a point where am nearing underweight. All I really want is a body am not ashamed of.

Pipaluk said:
8stone is tiny! I don't see how you can have a fat tummy at 8stone. It sucks but you can't lose weight just in a certain place! I think the best solution for you is to not lose weight, but hit the gym and tone up.

Sad part is I do. The worst part is how weird and out of place it looks.. my body looks like a bunch of sticks on a pumpkin.
I read a lot about toning up and abs, and it all says you need to have certain fat percentage for it to really work. After the calculations, I need to be a lot less than I am now.

Guess all I wanna know is if there is a reason I am losing in wrong places and if there is something I can do to even out the weight loss. If my hands and feet are gonna go skinny, I'd like to at least lose my stomach and love handles too.

Nnoilalala are you of Asian background? if yes them your BMI like mine can be lower than the BMI of 25 which is the one for Caucasians. Not really sure why BMI for asians/indians is lower (ie I don't understand the science behind it) but that is what I;ve been told by GPs and friends who are in the medical profession. If that is the case I can understand why you wish to lose a bit more weight. However, even with exericse and toning you can only lose a certain amount of extra fat in those places. I have tiny slim hands and wrists and suprsingly size 6 feet for someone who is 5ft 2 just! My feet are slim and skinny and have very little fat on them. However, whilst my shoulds and top half are small I am disproportionate on my thighs tum and especially bottom! Nicky Minaj is nothing to compare with!

What I am taking an age to say is that is is extrememly unlikely you be able to control how much weightyou can lose from ceratin areas. There are some things about our bodies and shape we have to accept. For5ft 3 your goal weight of 7st 3 does seem very low even if you are of Asian descent so do be careful how much you lose. However, you know your body and shape and what weight it best for you. x

Oh my days yes! Asian. Well Arab, but that's from Asia too? That seems to explain so much to me, why I just can't seem to agree with my BMI.. Sad though, guess my body shape is just what's messing it up :(

Monring hun, yes Arab, Oriental, Indian etc are all classed as Asian and anyone from white descent are classed as Caucasians. The differences have been explained to me in the past but I can't really remember why BMI differ in different races but they clearly do. For me to look slim with the least amount of fat on my tum (have no Herbie's bonnet) and a smaller bottom I have to be on the lower end of my BMI. Given I;m over 40 I don't mind if I;m the middle because I lose fat from my face and yes I get cheekbones but at my age i look older and gaunt.

I think we have to accept certain parts of our bodies are not going to be perfect as there is no such thing. As for you feet (I hate mine too) you can find different shoes or sandals to hide the bits you don't like.

I think you should be focusing on toning up, not losing weight personally. That'll deal with your issues about your tummy etc but you're already at a low weight and don't think you should be losing anymore and like someone else said, your feet going like that is a sign that you're at too low a weight.

I guess I'll look at some exercise I can get into, and see how that goes. It's just much easier to diet than to exercise :(

To be honest, it's not that hard to exercise. Personally I think it's easier to exercise than to diet and it has much better results. If you diet it will take you so far and you'll end up with a 'skinny fat' result but the only way to really tone up and look tight, smooth etc. is through exercise. It doesn't have to take a lot. You can go to the gym 3 times a week and see great results. Or there are DVDs that you can do at home.

Also, I'd like to point out that a BMI of 25 is the top end of the healthy range, caucasian people can go below 25 and still be healthy as well. However, a BMI of 17.9 isn't considered a healthy BMI, regardless of your ethnic background.

I guess it's about the motivation for it, I've gotten gym membership twice before, and never went. I bought an xbox with kinect for exercise, but never use it. Bought a bike few weeks ago, used it 2 days and gave it away. I start anything with motivation but then just leave it, becomes I'll do it in a bit, I'll leave time for it tonight, I'll just do it tomorrow and before I know, it's been unused for months. Maybe I just haven't found the right type of exercise for me.

But then, what difference is there really for diet? We can do exactly the same. Start a diet, give up within a few days. Try something else, lose a few lbs, decide you don't like it. Try a class like WW but then stop going after a couple of weeks. There'll always be reasons to stop doing something, whether that's diet or exercise but to be honest, whether you like it or not you have to just get on with it. I've heard so many excuses about exercise, many of which I've made in the past myself, including I don't have time, exercise is boring, I'm too unfit, it's too hard... like I said, there'll always be an excuse. So to be honest, you've just got to get on with it and push on, whether you want to or not. It doesn't seem like you haven't found the right exercise for you, it seems like you've not given anything a chance for long enough to find out. You can't say the gym didn't work if you never went. You can't say the bike didn't work if you gave it away after 2 days. You can't say the kinect didn't work if you never use it. Didn't work, didn't like it, same thing really. I hated the gym when I started, it was hard work, I felt so self conscious, it was a battle to make myself go each time. And now? Now I honestly love it. I look forward to going to the gym, most of the time anyway! I leave feeling rejuvenated and refreshed, knowing that I've done something good for my body. And as I get fitter, it gets easier and I push myself more.

I know this might seem harsh and I'm sorry for that but sometimes I think we need some tough love. So I suggest that you pick something and stick with it, whether you feel like it or not. It's rare that you'll just find motivation, most of the time you have to make it yourself by pushing through even when you don't have any. You can do it.

The difference with a diet, is it's easier to not do something than to do something. If I crave food I'll distract myself, I'll simply not leave my bed, I'll smoke. There is no effort to diet, simply resisting temptation (on a side note, that's why calorie counting is the only thing that works for me)

But you might be right, and I always hope it will be easier. I'm always open to advice and trying, so I'll take your word that it gets easier and maybe I can give it a go again.

Caroline love your straight no nonsense point of view! You're right about excercise we have to do it and continue to do it to see results. Combined with reduced calories we know it leads o weightloss.

I have to say on the BMI point irrespective of ethnicity the BmI scale is a guidance only so depending upon height and frame 17.9 could be a healthy BMI for one person but not another. Also depends on ft distribution and whether it deposits evenly or on lump and bumps in my case!!

Nnoilalala interesting you think dieting is easier because you reist temptation. Alas if it were that easy for me I'd be at goal! For me it has to be a combo of diet and exercise though I've been struggling I aim to rectify that!

Kira said:
Nnoilalala interesting you think dieting is easier because you reist temptation. Alas if it were that easy for me I'd be at goal! For me it has to be a combo of diet and exercise though I've been struggling I aim to rectify that!

I think it's probably just that my Calorie Counting diet works for me. If I want a cake, rather than "I can't" it's "I'll have some tomorrow" and still lose weight. If I can't eat anything more that day, it's not "I have to suffer hunger to lose weight" it's "I have all my calories back tomorrow".
I have tried some other diets back in the day, that dictate what you must eat, and I couldn't do it. Even simply cutting out all junk food with no structure never lasted.
Guess it's because with this am not much resisting temptation, but simply putting it on hold for a day.

Hi there, sounds like you want to lose body fat without losing weight. This is possible but not as easy as just cutting calories. I'm working on it too at the moment - key is to eat the right foods plus exercise to build muscle while maintaining weight. The body fat does go but slowly!

Found a website the other day that gave some info - let me see if i can dig it out again

Here we go - found my diary post that talks about it. I happen to be doing low carb but can do on any maintenance diet. It's starting to work - tummy shrinking:D Good luck

Ref body fat - two things that got me thinking
- article on marksdailyapple about excess skin - is there really such a thing or is it mainly remaining fat. See
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...or-weight-loss

- linked article on how to get rid of fat - dont like the style or how pushing his book/solution but you can glean some really insightful info from it.
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

Fits my observation of DH - he has been same weight since he hit goal mid last year but has significantly changed shape including losing any "excess skin". He basically eats low carb with some treats eg donut day! - so really on maintenance, plus does some gym and cycling.

So my current plan - maintain weight while keeping to low carb maintenance plus continuing dancing and a bit of gym (no chronic cardio) - that should replace fat with muscle. Actually i haven't got any loose skin - but do have a rubber ring of fat round my tummy so need to lose a targetted 4 inches or so that hopefully would mean more clothes fit better too (they are typically tight on belly and saggy elsewhere). Note to self - this is a long slow journey so will need to think 6-12 months!

That first link doesn't work :(
I'll read the second later. Thank you :)

I've been thinking about dancing too, I don't dance, but I got some dancing game on the xbox kinect. It's got a lot of movement and really tires me out, so am hoping that will count as exercise too.. At least for the start, it's something that I enjoy and get competitive with OH about, which just drives me more into it. And I heard a lot about people losing weight through dancing so here goes :) x

Last edited:
Back