Do diets REALLY work?

I know some that have been maintaining after a large weight loss, and they are mostly sticking to the normal plan in the week and eating as they please at weekends, which I think is quite normal
I was actually thinking about doing this, well this is what I did last week and still lost!!! Its really finding the balance and what suits you to maintain once at target. Not finding it easy though. Perhaps its because I also weigh in every week so its always on my mind. If I didnt weigh every week I may relax a bit more?? :break_diet::break_diet:

Its when the weekends get longer for them, and then less days on plan again, they seem to come un-stuck. When people maintain, after a good week on plan, then have a blow out at the weekend, they maybe feel bad for it, but its good practise for later on.

Thats exactly what I did last time I was on S W. My weekend became longer, and normal weekdays on plan became shorter. The rest is history, thats why I dont really want to do that again to be honest.

I see this diet as a way of life too, my syns are enough for me! :)
Thats fab and if it works for you great. The plan is for weight loss though not for maintenance so thats why more is added to the plan for maintaining in the form of hex's (or however the individual does it.) Some of course have to stick to the weight loss plan to maintain others keep losing despite adding hex's :confused:

The underlying principle of any diet is cals in vs cals out - as long as the former is less than the latter then you will lose weight, all these diets on offer that we pay oodles of money for work on that basis in some form or another, they might "market" it as something revoluntionary, but there is nothing revolutionary or new about losing the weight! The reality is that just as many people lose weight through calorie counting on some freebie website as those on WW and SW.

The only way to keep the weight off is to watch cals in vs cals out basically forever, its a bummer but the truth.

Which is what sw is anyway :)

I have to say, I'm not totally sure i actually agree that (runs & hides). It is a great weight loss program. It works really well at the loosing weight part. But actually, some of the stuff that you have to cut out in order to loose weight are still good for you. For example, extra virgin olive oil - really very good for you - but not free on SW, even when you are at target. Avocados - not even remotely free on SW, regardless of target or otherwise, but still very good for you. Nuts, seeds, dried fruits- all good for you - not free on SW (though dried fruit can be a HEB). Dairy products - not free on SW, but actually, the portion of cheese you get on SW does not, on its own have enough calcium in it (I know you can can get it from other foods as well) .
SW is a much healthier way of eating than anything I have done before, but by its very nature it isn't that balanced because, actually a balanced diet would have more healthy fats in it than we are allowed whilst slimming :)

i still love it though :)

kingleds said:
I have to say, I'm not totally sure i actually agree that (runs & hides). It is a great weight loss program. It works really well at the loosing weight part. But actually, some of the stuff that you have to cut out in order to loose weight are still good for you. For example, extra virgin olive oil - really very good for you - but not free on SW, even when you are at target. Avocados - not even remotely free on SW, regardless of target or otherwise, but still very good for you. Nuts, seeds, dried fruits- all good for you - not free on SW (though dried fruit can be a HEB). Dairy products - not free on SW, but actually, the portion of cheese you get on SW does not, on its own have enough calcium in it (I know you can can get it from other foods as well) .
SW is a much healthier way of eating than anything I have done before, but by its very nature it isn't that balanced because, actually a balanced diet would have more healthy fats in it than we are allowed whilst slimming :)

i still love it though :)

Ok-have deleted what I said-was just my opinion anyway-but there have been enough debates/arguments/discussions(whatever we wanna call them) on here in the last few weeks that I'm going to remove the potential fuel of a new one :) x

Ok-have deleted what I said-was just my opinion anyway-but there have been enough debates/arguments/discussions(whatever we wanna call them) on here in the last few weeks that I'm going to remove the potential fuel of a new one :) x

Nooooooooooo. Don't delete it hun. Just cos some people struggle to play nicely in the Minimins sandpit doesn't mean we can't!:p

For the record. Welshtiger thinks that SW is a healthy & balanced way of eating, and she's right! Its damn sight more healthy and balanced than my diet pre SW world, where i wouldn't have even considered eating an Avocado full stop, let alone for health reasons (unless it was between 2 slices of bread with bacon & mayo - even then i might have picked it out). Its just its not the only way to eat healthy & balanced

Lets all sing. Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya. I've got my tamborine out :cool:

Back