do you stay or do you go???

I started this at home (via body optimise) which has been brilliant for me, but have started recently going to group as well (I felt that maybe I was missing out and everyone here talks so highly of group). I wondered whether I would need/benefit from the support that I will get when things start to get difficult for me (which they will inevitably do).

I try to stay to group and although the first couple of weeks were a bit difficult for me, I'm starting to get to know people so it's getting easier. We seem to do the 'clapping stuff' more than anything but as someone else here said, I am genuinely pleased for people when they have a loss, so I don't mind. I like the 'tips' that you can't completely get from body optimise (although some of them are there if you really search for them).

I really don't mind what size my C is. I think as long as they have done SW at some point and had some success, it is irrelevant what size they are now. In my opinion as a consultant you are there to impart your knowledge and motivate people/help keep them motivated - so as long as you can do that, I don't care what size you are. And as a consultant, just because you know what to do, doesn't mean that it's any easier for you than for the rest of us. I've known how to eat healthily for years but it doesn't mean that I have !!!!

Anyway, it's great to see that you are so committed Maxine. I suspect your class are very lucky to have you.

Gail x

i have stayed to all my 23 meetings and only left half way through one due to being soooooo poorly. i think it helps to see others going through same battle with food as me

hi ya maxine.

I always stayed to class for the first 12 weeks or more - only been back on sw for about 20 weeks - the last 8 weeks or so got a bit 'can't be bothered to stop' or stayed for half hour to catch up with peeps, but mainly left and went home for my 'night off' - usually a small fish and chips or a chinese without the rice.

I have made a new year resolution and that is to stay to class every week without fail again and hope to lose this last stone with the motivation that group does give me.

good post.

Hiya all.

Can I just clarify the "taking the pee" comment. I'm sure people have their reasons - all I'm saying is they do not work for me.

Louise24, I am sure you are 100% - there are however people out there and in most groups, who royally take the pee. Hell, I know for a fact when I used to pick the missus up from group the majority of her class went straight to the chippy! I refer to the ones who when asked if they need any help for the week ahead, they always say no. I would love, just love to see their food diaries. I'm sure we'll all have examples of this at our own group(s).

Oh, and Purple Star, I can understand some people don't like others to know how/what they're doing. As far as I know nobody gives people's weight out, just their losses - in our group, a gain is usually described as a small gain (no figure mentioned) unless the recipient cares to mention it themselves.

The reason I am 100% committed is because I am surrounded by negativity, at work they all want to lose weight, usually mumbling this between a mouthful of cake. I have embraced SW as I think it works compared to all the other "fad" diets out there. The only way it will not work is if I don't commit 100% - that may be over-simplifying it, but anything less that that will result (for me) in failure.

Failure (again, to me) is just another unacceptable "F" word!

Hi,

I found this an interesting question to answer. I recently joined SW and attended the first 3 weeks. After weigh in, the class descends into a coffee morning and there is little chat about the plans or tips/ideas that people may have, which i assumed would happen. I am a little unsure if this is because in my class, those who stay are all over 50. The other 3 "younger" adults all weigh and go. I would love to stay but i dont feel that there is any benefit to it. I have to admit i am struggling with SW this week as 15th Dec was my last weigh in and the class does not re start until Jan 5th which to me seems too long a break!

Poor you Nemesis. My class has run every single week including today, next week (both Bank holidays). Are there any other classes near you that you could try ??

Gail x

My consultant runs one other class and obviously thats on hold too! I work shifts so i would struggle to fit the second consultants class in even if it is running. I have been reading some of the other threads so im feeling more motivated now and see the next eight days as the same as my first week where i was keen to do well. This is a great site for inspiring people on!

Natalie

dont forget you can attend any group in the whole country, im sure your consultant is a good one, but i must say the group i attend is a bit like a get together rather than a slimming world group, which is why i have no intention of letting that happen to mine, dont get me wrong we have a good laugh, but at the end of the day members are paying for a service and im 100% commited to help tham get the best from it..opps soap box time over :eek:
im off for my post christmas weighin in about 1 hour, been on plan and within syns omg dont i sound boring!!!!

I tend to go through phases and it depends on how the group are doing. If everyone is doing well I stay to class because it motivates me to do well.
Some times though most people are doing less well, like in the run up to Christmas when the reasons are understandable but a bit 'contagious' - the 'everyones doing badly so I might as well join in' mentality seems to pervade. I don't stay at these times.
I think it's less beneficial when the C's collude with the idea that it's inevitable that everyone is going to be off the wagon instead of giving positive encouragment and tips to minimise the damage, without judging people. It's a difficult balance for C's to manage.

Hi,

I found this an interesting question to answer. I recently joined SW and attended the first 3 weeks. After weigh in, the class descends into a coffee morning and there is little chat about the plans or tips/ideas that people may have, which i assumed would happen. I am a little unsure if this is because in my class, those who stay are all over 50. The other 3 "younger" adults all weigh and go. I would love to stay but i dont feel that there is any benefit to it. I have to admit i am struggling with SW this week as 15th Dec was my last weigh in and the class does not re start until Jan 5th which to me seems too long a break!
Yes, Nemesis, I would be looking to change group too! - I know it is not so easy for you and trying to fit it in etc. - I think a lot of them can be a bit like coffee mornings - I think it important a good consultant will keep the group on topic.

I agree and its why i'll keep with it. I realise that losing weight is my most important goal just now and whats a few chatty women in the larger scheme of things :)

I'm also hoping that the classes may be more structured in the New Year when there will be more people joining!

The class I used to go to had s very experienced c. She did a short talk then went round the group for feedback/suggestions it might have been 3 week goal setting, a bag of syn free ingredients that people might be unsure about what to do with, the best thing you have eaten in the last week etc.
You could really tell that she had planned her programme and spent time on it. A different c came and did the standard clappy thing and I imagine that this is the recommended sw way, but I got so much more from the other c.

i have things planned for the next month, small motivational ideas, recipes (i make a star recipe for everyone to taste) new things happening with slimming world, themes and that sort of thing, i think its important that my members leave image therapy chatting about what they have learnt..not what a nice cup of coffee it was :D

I don`t stay at group .. I get weighed and go, for a number of reasons:

The first couple of times i did stay, i tried to make conversation and more or less got blanked .... So i ended up sat by myself like a lemon whilst everyone chatted around me . . . . Not good in anyway shape or form for your motivation.

I found the money taker and the weigher-iner people to be quite short and sharp ...... which again tainted my desire to stick about.

And lastly i am a very busy person, being a full time mum, with 2 horses (1 of whom is very poorly) and a husband who works away, i do have a lot of stuff to be on with each day.

Does it mean i`m any less commited ... No
Does it mean i don`t take it seriously .. No
Does it mean i`m not loosing the weight successfully ... No

Everyone is different .. What works for one, won`t always work for another .. I luv that i have you guys on here for the help and support, and that do for me any day of the week ;) !!!!

Should I stay or should I go?

I stayed to IT for eight weeks. I chose this group because it meant I did not have to compromise work or other events/committments to go, it was strictly me time and I relished it. However I accept it is a huge group and the consultant continually mistaking me for another member every week doesn't help.

Where some of you speak of well planned groups and committed Cs this one is a member of the happy clappy school of thought and it rankles - going round such a large group can be tedious week after week. The WW format I find less patronising, better suited to my sensibilities and of more value but SW is the eating plan for life - no offence WWers. Debating whether I go back after the holidays love love love MM and the support here, so who knows.

Good luck, you sound committed to your members Maxine and I am sure they appreciate your input.

aw thank you.
im really excited about meeting my members each week and welcoming in new ones is a real buzz to watch them gentle relax and the realisation that i know "how they feel" makes it even better...if you look at my gallery you will see what i mean :eek:

I attended my first class in 3 weeks on Wednesday (it closed for christmas and new year) and i had high hopes that it would be a more structured class in that it would be more than a social gathering. It was worse than ever :(. It took fifteen minutes for the first person to be weighed and it went downhill from there. The consultant was more flustered than usual despite there only being 10/12 people in the class. There were several potential new members but one of them has already decided she is not coming back. From now on, i will be weighing and then leaving. I can find other ways to waste time on a wednesday morning.

i think its massivly dependant on the consultant you have and the relationship and atmosphere within the group.

i have a good relationhsip with my C and she has a personal touch with all members so they tend to stay more, as although we go through everyone weigh in results, its not every week and we often digress and chat anyways!

i only go when i have other things to do! x

as a fairly new consultant (8 weeks and loving it) i was wondering 2 things really
1... do or dont you stay to image therapy
2... if you weigh and leave what makes you decide that??
i know as a member i stayed (and still stay) to image therapy i had the mind set of im paying nearly a fiver and im going to get my monies worth :)
any ideas would be helpful
thank you in advance

I have just joined a new class & have to say the consultant is amazing. Really motivating and also the members seem focused too.
I used to go to another class which I didnt really enjoy too much, half the time the members talked over the consultant & she seemed like she didnt have a clue about sw (more in for the money in my eyes) so after a while I stopped staying to class.
Then a few weeks down the line I figured I didnt need the class.

Feeling much better now im at a new one though, although I still managed to lose weight whilst not at class I did miss it alot. xxx

I stay to group every week.
Im a very chatty person and find it easy to make conversation with other people so I love going to group.
I love my consutant, and seeing other people losing weight is completely motivating for me.
Im so excited as my consultant has asked me to be the person to take the money as I stay to group every week and talk to everyone, so from next week Im the money taker yay!!

I love group, however I think it completely depends on the consultant as we as home life etc.

Back