Do you think running is more about fitness or mental stamina?

cateka

I've noticed something strange, statistically speaking looking back, I've been able to run nearly 6 miles non-stop at 6.1 mph. This is the speed I have adapted on my treadmill runs because it is the most comfortable, and I now look to simply extend the distance I run (I don't like to sprint).
I CAN run that far, its a statistical fact. But some days I feel as though I can't, especially if I start to feel the strain of exercising early on in the run, like if it sets in before 1.5 miles. I just get so annoyed and give up really quickly. And if I give up I rarely manage to return and finish the run. It may sound silly but I really feel like my mental stamina is preventing me from excelling at running moreso than my fitness.
Lets face it, very few people are so unfit that they could not physically take on light jogging. Fitness must really only be a small factor in how far you excell at endurance sports.

I also notice that on those days where I do manage to pass 4-5 miles it seems to be because I have completely forgotton I am running at all untill near the end when my muscles start to hurt and I have to push through.
Strictly speaking, its like I have no stamina at all - on the days when I need stamina, I can't find it. And on the days when I don't, its because I somehow loose myself in thought while running.

I was wondering what any other of you workout-aholics thought of this?
In all sports, not just running.

Do you think it might be the lack of calories Cateka? Lack of protein to help preserve your lean mass. Lack of carbs for quick energy release?

It's possible. Unless things are looking up for you, in which case, I'm sure your energy will return in time.

Often think about you Cateka and wonder how things are going.

You are on to something, all exercise has a huge psychological component to it. Almost EVERY client I see can do things they don't think are possible. it just takes some time and patience to lure it out of them and encourage them to go that extra mile.

I believe I told the story here once about a client who I had climb 25 floors on a step machine as fast as he could. It took him 7 and a half minutes. I then told him our goal would be to cut that time down to 2 and a half minutes (over 50%) in under 8 weeks.

He thought I was barking mad, but low and behold, the 8 weeks came and with a bit of me pushing him (but mainly his own hard work and determination) he got his 25 floors in 2: 18.

This client is also in his 50's and is not a fitness fanatic or anything like that, just an ordinary day to day person. He lost nearly 2 inches on his waist and 5% bodyfat in that time.

It just shows that determination is the possibly the biggest factor of how hard you will push yourself. It depends how much you want to reach your goals.

Also, a good point above, a certain day of exercise can also be affected by how much energy you have, whether you are sufficiently hydrated or not, if you've had a good amount of sleep, if you've recovered from a previous workout, how you mentally feel that day etc etc

A million variables come into a workout each day. But I beleive the physical variables make up only 20%. The psychological issues determine 80% of the outcome in my opinion.

Interesting points Justin, your estimates sound pretty accurate. From your post I presume you are a fitness instructor or personal trainer, in which case I kindof wish you were my one :D Sounds like you can bring out some pretty spectacular results in clients.

Hey KD, thanks again for the concern, it means a lot that you follow my posts. Not much has changed, but I am moving to London for nursing college next month (having got straight As in my A-levels:)) and am looking to check into an outpatient programme once I'm moved.
I don't think I am lacking protein, my muscle mass still looks to be growing. You might be onto something with the carbs though - I often do my workout in the morning and rarely eat breakfast before. If I eat anything (even half an apple) then I will feel sick when I am running (even if I wait hours, by which point I feel really hungry again), but if I don't eat anything I have nausia and dizzy spells because there is no sugar in my blood. The best method seems to be to knock back two cups of black coffee and wait an hour, but I still feel a little fatigued.

I would say, it is mental stamina, because, if you think to yourself & you will your self that you can do this, then you will be able to over come ANY obstical..

I would say, it is mental stamina, because, if you think to yourself & you will your self that you can do this, then you will be able to over come ANY obstical..

Not necessarily IMO and not always wise to either. Ahhh, I'm in a 'complicating matters' mode :D

Don't know how I missed your reply Cateka :confused:

Hey KD, thanks again for the concern, it means a lot that you follow my posts. Not much has changed, but I am moving to London for nursing college next month (having got straight As in my A-levels:))

Excellent Cateka :clap: Good on ya!

I don't think I am lacking protein, my muscle mass still looks to be growing.

Sorry, but it wont be growing on the amount of calories you have (you say not much has changed). They might appear to be though.
but if I don't eat anything I have nausia and dizzy spells because there is no sugar in my blood. The best method seems to be to knock back two cups of black coffee and wait an hour, but I still feel a little fatigued.

I'm not surprised mate. A big bowl of porridge with some yoghurt in does wonders ;)

But anyway...I sort of remember you saying about sorting things (;)) once your exams were over. I assume the outpatient thing is to help? What ya doing from now to then? Moving in a positive direction I hope.

Back