Do you trust BMI?

According to an article I read ages ago even Brad Pitt is classed as "obese" according to the BMI scale. Also a lady I worked with, her 16 year old niece was told she was overweight by her school nurse who was going on BMI, the girl is only a size 10 (US 6) and is 5'6, and as a result of being told she was overweight went on a crash diet.

Apparently the whole of the England rugby squad are also obese :rolleyes:

immynjoesmum said:
accoring to the Dukan diet thing my ideal weight is 11 stone 6. I think that's probably about right to be honest. I'm 5 ft 6.5.

I think that's a little high.. I'm 5'8" and my ideal is 11 stone 3.... Hope this helps x

I went for a well woman check once....was a few years ago... Think I was maybe 2.5 stones overweight but had lost the same and felt really nice.... She did all my tests and said a picture of health but officially your still classed as obese so maybe you should try.... I was mortified And very disheartened she did not even ask or look at my history... Needless to say I have never had one again.... Imagine going in feeling a nice16 , pretty and feminine for the first time in years... And coming out being told your obese..... Etched on my memory forever.. !!!!!! To all you beautiful ladies 16 and above..... Go on how you feel and look not on stupid charts.... Or people who think they are God......!!! X

Don't even look at those dumb numbers, according to that archaic formula i was well over 30% bf while prepping for a fight. In reality i was calipered in the low teens. The only somewhat reliable ways to measure your bf is water displacement or calipers. They always have a way to make people feel like crap about themselves.

what the...."Your True weight is 13 st 7 lbs." 189lbs @ a bmi of 27!! Here's me looking to get down to 12 stone!

I did the wrist test thing and there was a good inch between my fingers.... I had an idea that I have a heavy bone structure but thats pretty bad =P

www.dukandiet.co.uk

according to that my true weight is 8st 5....
now to me that seems low considering im 9st 4 now, and have alot of muscle. so of course my BMI will be higher than a person of the same size and height, but dosent workout

According to the Dukan site my true weight is 15 stone 4lbs :eek:

I dont blooming think so

I think BMI should just be used as a general guideline, it's very inaccurate for certain people but providing you don't have a high muscle mass or anything else that may effect it - it's reasonable to consider it.

I work for the NHS and as wrong as this may be BMI is used to assess whether or not you are over weight without taking into consideration muscle mass or anything else of that nature. I think that's what made me want to have a healthy BMI and so have set my goal in that range.

My BMI is currently 26 I'm looking to be 24.5 which for my large bone structure I think is fine... And within the normal range x

I think BMI should just be used as a general guideline, it's very inaccurate for certain people but providing you don't have a high muscle mass or anything else that may effect it - it's reasonable to consider it.

I work for the NHS and as wrong as this may be BMI is used to assess whether or not you are over weight without taking into consideration muscle mass or anything else of that nature. I think that's what made me want to have a healthy BMI and so have set my goal in that range.

so if i end up with a BMI of over 25, but still the same size (6/8) then thats considered over weight?

with increased muscle, with my training programme im gaining muscle incredibly fast :)

Don't worry Gina, bodybuilders and many athletes would be in the obese cathegory and they are everything but obsese. Some have body fat under 10%, even at high bmi's. It's a question of muscle;)

I have a friend with 24bmi (she's like a gym rat basically) and she looks as slim as a 20bmi person. Though, under clothes she looks much better and much more toned.

Who cares really.... Even my doctor judges it on how I look and feel not my BMI .... Maybe we should not be so hard on ourselves x

last time i got weighed at the doctors she did ask me if go to the gym, so maybe when i next go (3 years) my bmi will be higher. i dont plan on getting bigger, nor do i want to start eating unhealthy so i doubt ill change much

Back