Do your food diarys help you stay on track?

Pebblesx

Silver Member
Hi everyone. I have recently joined the forum and started slimming world (going it alone not joined a group) I have noticed a lot of people post their food diarys and I was just wondering of they do really help? I am thinking about starting my own hoping it will help me stay on track but ad the same time nervous as to feeling guilty if I fall off the wagon and not be 100% honest with what I have eaten/drank in that day! I keep a diary on my phone but was just wondering if posting bit would make a difference.

any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
x

I post mine in my diary on here but I am a tad slack and tend not to do it everyday. I do write it down on the food diaries from group every single week without fail. I can control myself better when Im recording everything I eat and I have better losses. It really does help :) Good luck!

It really does help, it can help the weeks you don't lose any weight but have stuck to plan... you can see where you could have gone wrong (miscounting syns, missed healthy extra's ect)

Also it's brill for people to pick out little things you may be doing wrong. It's your chance to be 100% honest with yourself over what you're eating too. Xx

I find that if I don't keep a food diary I find it easier to convince myself that I can cheat. Not with the deliberate intention of cheating but I tend to have thoughts like 'I know I'm on a green day today and I had a chicken sandwich for lunch, which were HEXB's for the bread and chicken but I fancy some toast now so I'll just HEXB the toast slices and syn the chicken I had earlier' even though I've already had my 15 syns for the day :rolleyes: Just an example but I find it's so easy to go over on syns if I don't keep a food diary. I also find that I can forget what I've eaten in the day if I don't write it down and end up accidently going over syns that way.

Writing everything down isn't for everyone and I certainly do struggle with it sometimes so have to force myself back into the habit but I definitely find that when I keep a food diary my losses are bigger than the weeks when I don't bother :)

I've fount that writing a food diary has helped me stay on track as I'm pretty forgetful! Also I enjoy seeing how many free foods I've had a day as it makes me feel good about myself :) x

I find it really really useful, can highly recommend it x

Yes, I make a diary of every single thing that passes my lips. I've been doing Slimming World for four weeks now, and the week where I lost the least weight was the one where I barely wrote anything down.

It's amazing how much you lie to yourself when you don't have anything staring back at you, telling you what you've done.

I write my food diary fully every evening but keep a note on syns during the day. I highly recommend keeping track as it keeps me on plan. Its very easy to forget about that packet of crisps at 2.30 in afternoon. :p well it is for me anyway lol

I've been keeping a food diary on here for a while, and yeah I find it helps :)

Thanks everyone. As of Monday I think ongoing to have to keep one too (had a naughty day yesterday at Brighton for SIL's hen do - not so much food but more alcohol!) and feel today is just going to be a picky day as I'm not feeling my best!

I agree about lying to yourself, or "forgetting" that you ate a chocolate bar as a quick fix cos it was the closest thing to hand lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

Im new to sw and the forum I keep a food diary and I find it really helps every time I eat I write it straight down, it's good to keep you motivated if your feeling a bit meh
Good luck with your journey xXx

Im new to sw and the forum I keep a food diary and I find it really helps every time I eat I write it straight down, it's good to keep you motivated if your feeling a bit meh
Good luck with your journey xXx

Thank you, I decided this morning that I was going to start one, ill see how it goes! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

I made a 7 day daily food diary & fill it in after each meal and as others have said, you can see what you have had if you gain weight one week & you can also find a "good" week if you had a great loss!
I find it interesting to go back to the start to see if you have changed your eating habits. I have 2 A4 folders full as I have done SW for over 2 years now!
Pete

I made a 7 day daily food diary & fill it in after each meal and as others have said, you can see what you have had if you gain weight one week & you can also find a "good" week if you had a great loss!
I find it interesting to go back to the start to see if you have changed your eating habits. I have 2 A4 folders full as I have done SW for over 2 years now!
Pete

Wow! What a great commitment!
Are you still losing or are you maintaining your current weight?

Sent from my iPhone
Pebbles xx

I find that a paper food diary keeps me on track the best. When I' sticking to it at my best I am writing thinks on my diary BEFORE I eat them. Sometimes the whole idea of writing it down is enough to stop me eating things that wouldn't be good choices. I went back to join a group last week and so have the online diary on the go as well. I'm using this to help me get clear in my head which foods are the superfree and which are just free. I know I'm sad, but bought a set of Papermate Inkjoy pens from Asda. It's got all the colours I need to complete my paper food diary in the same colours as my electronic Slimming World site one, and means I can tell at a glance which superfree, red and green foods I've eaten. I always thought I was more of a 'Green' girl pre Extra Easy, but glancing at my Extra Easy food diary now, I can see things have changed. Loads of orange (superfree) a little red each day, and just 2 green entries all week. I suppose what I'm saying (in a roundablout, wobblygob kind of way) is that it helps you be reflective about your eating. :D

After I stopped going to group I really focused on my diary on here. I note all my food pretty much every day (with the odd rant and rave chucked in!) I find the process of writing it down really helpful and I love reading other people's for inspiration and food ideas. I think it varies from person to person as only a couple of people comment on mine so a lot of the time I'm talking to myself lol, but others have lots of comments and guidance and advice which is nice to read xx

I keep a paper diary that I carry with me constantly when on plan. I write in it before I eat it so can see if it is a good idea or not to eat it.
I then add it in to my diary at night.

I find as soon as I leave the paper diary at home, I suddenly go absent from here abc start eating guilt free - results in massive deviation from plan!

So that's me carrying a little book for the rest of my life by the sounds of it ;)

Ironic really - the friends who laugh at my little book obsession can't stick to any diet for even a full week.......they're starting to find it less funny abc write things down as I lose and they don't!

I certainly find writing everything down helps me - I too got a bit lax and started not filling it in. Im back on track now and fill it in every day. My consultant says I shouldnt have to as I know the plan inside out, but its what helps me at the end of the day :)

Back