Doctors wont prescribe Xenicol

Andy9137

Hi all

Looking for some help if possible?

I have been on xenicol for a while now prescribed by my doctor. He didn’t want to give it to me but I pestered him and eventually he gave in. Been on it for about a year and lost about 4 stone - I am still 20 stone (male 5 foot 10 inches) so very over weight. He didn’t monitor me or help in any way and has now refused to prescribe it any longer as he says its too expensive! Very annoyed and considering changing doctors as I feel frustrated and let down! If I was a drug addict or alcoholic they would be falling over them selves to "reach" out to me - but because I am fat - too bad! Any one offer any advise? :wave_cry:

You can do it without xenical! Maybe give it a try? You wont be allowed xenical when you reach a more normal weight so it might be better to get used to it now?

Your weight loss seems to be an average of 1 lb per week. Did you take it every day for a full year?

My dr has targets which have to be met in order to continue prescribing it for me. I had to lose 5% of my body weight in 3 months and 10% in 6 months. If I didn't meet the targets I wouldn't get the drug as it wouldn't be cost effective.

But my argument was he didnt monitor it - so he didnt know what I was when I started or what I was when he stopped prescribing! It was simply a cost reduction based decision and had nothing to do with whether the drug was effective or was helping me lose weight.

My gp is part of a large practice and though she prescribes it some of her collegues in the same practice don't as they don't think it's effective in the long term ie weigh is regained once the tablets are stopped.

It seems then your options are to change DR's (not all dr's will prescribe Xenical), continue with the habits you learnt when taking xenical which should help you with your weightloss journey or pay for Alli.

4st is good.... i dont no how they monitor this, but it looks like this kept you steady. Can you not see another Doc! I have been using for about 3 wks and it def makes me think before eating! Have when making the children something at the wk/end naturaly ate myself and thought omg what have i done!! and the next day slight oil not a lot because its a one off.
Good Luck

But my argument was he didnt monitor it - so he didnt know what I was when I started or what I was when he stopped prescribing! It was simply a cost reduction based decision and had nothing to do with whether the drug was effective or was helping me lose weight

If I had a GP who was prepared to prescribe ANY medication to me without montoring its effectiveness, I think I would want to change to another doctor.
My GP monitors me at least monthly (via the nurse) and I have to be regularly losing weight to carry on being prescribed Xenical. It seems very negligent that your GP would prescribe Xenical without monitoring you at all, and then suddenly decide that it's too expensive to prescribe any more!
After all, isn't it more cost-effective to help you lose weight, rather than to treat any weight-related health conditions that you may or may not develop in the future?

I would do as downsize me suggests...first of all try a different GP, but if all else fails, either try Alli or continue with a low-fat/calorie diet without the tablets.

Last of all, congratulations on the 4 stone weight-loss, that's a great acheivement, so don't lose sight of that regardless of your doctor's crappy attitude!

Hello

I like other are monitored every 4 weeks by our nurse practioner. By 3 months i have had to lost 5% of my body weight.

I think its awful the GP didnt monitor you or anything. I would try change doctors if your def want to stay on Xenical. It sounds like the GP wont budge.

I have been on Xenical for 3 weeks and have found it a eye opener to how much crap i use to eat. I am also surprised what i can eat under the 5gm rule and really enjoying it so far and dont feel i have missed out. It is def helping me to learn healthier food choices, the value of foods and also keeping me on the straight and narrow as i really dont want any of those nasty side effects.

Well done on your weight loss so far :D

Back