Does anyone know what to do with a lobster?!

IrishMum

A little of everything!
Seriously? I was getting fish off my fishmonger this morning & he had these little cooked lobsters on his display. I must have been staring as he says "do you like Lobster?". I replied it'd been years from I tasted it, but I knew it was very expensive. "Not at all" he replied, and threw one in the bag!!
Now what?!? It's sitting here looking at me, with its wriggly legs & big claws?!?!

Thanks! :p Not really mine either, but what the heck am I to do with it...it's an awful waste not to at least try it? Do I take a hammer to it or what? LOL!

I do hope it's already dead.....the clue is that it will be red!!!! You will have to crack the thing open with some nut-crackers, I can't tell you which bits you can't eat.....probably beat to stick to white meat, anything, but there might be just enough to fill a sandwich!!!

I do hope it's already dead.....the clue is that it will be red!!!!
I think it is- it's not moving! LOL! It's a coral red colour? He said it was cooked? I don't have any bread in the house, I guess my 'treat' dinner will be some kind of granary/wholemeal roll or pitta with lobster? How posh! :p It better be nice!

Just spoken to a guy I work with who eats lobster all the time, and he said if its cooked and in the shell, you need to split it down the middle, take out the grey sinewy type thing in the middle as this doesnt taste nice and then you can eat the rest of the meat.

When it comes to the claws, he says, break off the claws and crack them open, and pull the meat out - really lovely he said.

Thats what I did! I didn't like the look of the 'middle' meat (it was all grey & icky looking!)
I sauteed an onion with some l/f fromage frais, chili flakes & black pepper, and mixed it with some of the meat & it was lovely! I had the rest in a sort of 'chowder' soup I threw together. It was probably pretty dangerous as it included some potato & sweetcorn, but it was delicious and a bowl filled me right up! (and I have some leftover for lunch today!)
I don't know if I'd buy it, but it was a nice treat for a change!
Thanks everyone!

Sounds absolutely ....LISH!!!!!!! Better than a boring sandwich!

Hee-hee, it was yummy!! And VERY filling. I felt ever so posh telling anyone who enquired that I was having lobster bisque!:p;)
Made a lovely change from the chicken soup!:p

LISH??? ;) :) xx

Glad it didn't go to waste ;) xx

Back