Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

Wow! The slow cooker yogurt is fabulous!
I think I'm gonna make my own yogurt from now on. It is so easy!
Thanks for the recipe.

Glad that you like it, I think it is fabulous too!

It's always nice when something works on the first attempt :D.

I am going to make some more today using that first batch as the starter, hopefully it will be just as nice.

Did you use UHT milk or regular fresh milk?

I tried using reg semi in an attempt in a flask and it was so tart I threw it away (plus it didn't set), not like this creamy smooth one from the sc.

Give it a try folks it is well worth it and doesn't take a scientist to make it (well, if I can make it anyone can!). ;)

Well, I must be completely stupid then as mine was a big FAILURE :(:(:(

Well, I must be completely stupid then as mine was a big FAILURE :(:(:(

Just posted a reply to your post on the recipe thread Mirjam.

You didn't do it in the right order.

You need to leave the milk on for 2.5 hours, unplug, leave for 3 hours THEN add your milk powder and starter yoghurt.

You added them after 2.5 hours instead of after 5.5 hours ie after you have let it sit unplugged for 3 hours.

;)

Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! said:
Did you use UHT milk or regular fresh milk?
;)

I used regular skimmed milk. The consistency is sticky and thick, not runny like shop bought yogurt (I also strained it through a muslin for about 2 hours though), but I like it like this.
I'm going to try it again tonight but take the temperature at the end of stage 1 so that I know when to switch the slow cooker off when making a bigger batch. I'd like to make a week's batch in a go (just convenient).
I've passed the recipe onto my sister who's also on the diet, she's trying it tonight.
I really love this method.

How long do I have to strain it for to make cheese? I strained the yogurt for about 2 hours to make a thicker, gloopy yogurt. It's not cheese though.
I'd definitely give the cheese a try too.

I think I let it drain for a while before I put it into the fridge and I left it for a few hours in there.

I have just put some pics with the recipe.

Update:

I think I left it draining in the fridge overnight but I will see if I wrote it in my diary.

Yep, leave it for quite a few hours to drain all of the whey off it, keep checking but it may take about 8 hours or so.

Last edited:
Doies everyone drain their yoghurt or can it be used as is?

Mirjam said:
Doies everyone drain their yoghurt or can it be used as is?

You can use it without draining, it's still very nice. I drained mine to get a nice thick consistency so that it's more akin to Greek yogurt. I think I'll use undrained yogurt for marinades etc. and save the Greek-style yogurt for eating on it's own.

Thanks Don'tWantToBeFatAnd.. I'm gonna give making the cheese a try tomorrow night. Am unfortunately using my slow cooker tonight to start chicken in milk for tomorrow night.

Does this yog turn out anything like Total 0% Greek yog?
I like the consistency of that.
If so, does Total have live cultures to start the process or should I buy some Yeo Valley nat yog?
Thanks. :)

Does this yog turn out anything like Total 0% Greek yog?
I like the consistency of that.
If so, does Total have live cultures to start the process or should I buy some Yeo Valley nat yog?
Thanks. :)

I have never tried Total 0% greek but this comes out quite thick and if you do drain it, as I did, it is the same consistency as clotted cream, thick!

I am def going to buy Yeo Valley again as it is the only one that I have used that has done it's job! :D

Well, that is a surprise!

I have another lot in the slow cooker but I thought I would give the Easiyo another go.

I put the milk in cold, 1 tbs Marvell and a heaped tbs of the slow cooker yogurt that I made.

Just checked it after 4 hours and it is setting!

Yeh!

I have changed the water in the outer container and will leave it until midnight when it will have had 8 hours in total and see how it looks.

Plus my sc yog will be ready at midnight, best I make room in the fridge for all of my new yog.

:)

I am sure I saw somewhere that some people add Angel Delight to their milk when they put it in the Easiyo, has anyone else tried that?

Ta!

I'm on phase 3 at the moment with my yoghurt being ready at about 2am. Can I leave it in the sc until the morning or do I need to get out of my bed to get it into the fridge?

I would think you could leave it out Mirj as you aren't draining it.

After saying that I would be waking up during the night to go and check it and end up putting it in the fridge.

Patience isn't one of my strongest virtues.

:D

Both of mine should be ready at midnight so there will be no early night for me, not that there ever is.

You know what they say, the older you get the less sleep you need.

;)

Normally I would stay up till 2am but have to go to my bodybalance class tomorrow morning so can't sleep in :(
One advantage from working at home is, you don't have to travel for to get to work :D

Normally I would stay up till 2am but have to go to my bodybalance class tomorrow morning so can't sleep in :(
One advantage from working at home is, you don't have to travel for to get to work :D

Yep, but the other thing is you are always withing reach of the kitchen cupboards and fridge!

:D

Mirjam said:
I'm on phase 3 at the moment with my yoghurt being ready at about 2am. Can I leave it in the sc until the morning or do I need to get out of my bed to get it into the fridge?

You can leave it overnight. I left mine for 11 hours, it was fine.

True... every time I'm hungry or want a cup of tea, I'm in walking distance :)

Back