Does Body Magic affect weight loss?

Baileygirl

There's been a big debate at group recently about exercising slowing down weight loss! The girls who do exercise notice a big loss on the weeks that they don't do it?!

I've always thought that it would make you have brilliant weight losses but this week i've joined a gym and been 3 times, done a food diary, kept within my syns and today i've gained 1/2lb!!!

It's only 1/2lb but I don't feel fluidy from the gym or hormonal. I know it could really set me back. I feel a lot more positive than previous weeks (probably endorphins as went to the gym after class today lol) but worried that i'm not going to see weigh loss results!

Can anyone give me words of wisdom please?

Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so all the time you are using your muscles to exercise more it will affect your loss. I have been to the gym 5/7 days eaten sensibly minus the indian. Went to harvester had salad an jacket potato. And even though I'd been so good I'd only lost 0.5lb very disappointed but muscle does weigh more even my fitness instructor told me this!! So that is why it Slows it down. Hope this helps xx

Sent from my iPhone 4 using MiniMins

Thanks hun, I know i'm using my muscles more but they dont weigh heavier than fat. There was a thread on here somewhere that went into great detail about why it can't (1lb feathers=1lb lead etc) I know that you can build fluid around your muscles to protect them when exercising but I dont feel fluidy/bloaty at all! (I did earlier in the week as my normal jeans wouldn't fasten even though i'd been good!)

Don't mean to sound negative but i guess over the years i've become fixated on the figurative weigh loss rather than by measurements and at my current weight i'm desperate to get back to my original goal!

i always find if i exercise, even walking 2 or 3 times per week, i dont lose as much. I dont know if doing the extra bit increases my appetite or what, I just dont have as big a loss as normal!

I've found the body magic has improved my losses. I ate out 3 times since my last weigh in and I lost 1.5lb. There is absolutely no way I would have got this loss without my body magic. I go to the gym for 90 mins 4 times a week & I also walk everywhere I can.

The effects on inch loss has been dramatic. To be honest, I'm not as worried about pound loss now, I'm focusing more on my increasing level of fitness and inch/dress size loss.

I do know people who's losses have slowed with exercise, so I'm guessing like everything, it depends on individuals.

its not so much that fat weighs less than muscle but that you can fit more muscle into the space vacated by the fat.It may weigh more initially but your shape changes and is more toned-less flabby loose skin etc so its better to exercise even it means the loss seems slower.
Bout time I listened to myself now!

You'll lose inches if not weight.
Per volume muscle DOES weigh more than fat, so you may occupy less space and remain the same weight, or even weigh more.
That's why gyms like Curves take measurements.

But worth mentioning that it take weeks if not months of hard core weight training to build muscle to the extent that it could potentially impact on losses and women do not generally have the hormonal make-up required to build lots of muscle. SW say you can expect an additional 1 to 1.5 lb loss per month if you exercise so not a huge amount but as said there are so many other benefits including toning and improvements to mood that I don't know why you wouldn't.

I use my Wii fit for an hour a day and can honestly say that it is really helping. I do aerobic exercises to help burn off fat, not muscle toning ones, tho I intend to start them when my weight loss gets near to where I want to be. I think, judging by the amount of calories it tells me I have burnt off, that it contributes to 3/4 of a pound weight loss a week. It makes me feel more energetic and it is helping the weight to come off from where I want it to... my legs for example. I wouldn't worry about a small gain after going to the gym, if you feel ravenous after a workout, pile up some fruit and yoghurt. Takes ages to eat and fills you up. Really low calories as well as fruit sugars for energy.

I lost 2 stone in about 5 months with no or minimal exercise. I have been struggling for the last month or so and have gained 1lb, STS etc. Started spin classes 3x a week 2 weeks ago, first week I gained 2lb (water retention maybe) and second week I lost 3lb. I definitely feel better, more energy and starting to tone. I think it will help me lose more but only time will tell. I will keep you posted.

Amy, my daughter wants me to go to a "spin" class, have never heard of it and when I looked it up, all I saw where pictures of toned athletes in proper cycling gear , it has really put me off as I don't want to be the sad old granny at the back of the class wearing Primarni leggings. :)
What was your class like?
Sorry I have gone away from OPs question. :)

Oh no its nothing like that. Although I have my own bike at home now (I know sad) the classes I used to go to have a variety of people. There are beginniners classes, no one, maybe just one, who will dress up in fancy cycling gear. Before every class the instructor should ask if there are any beginners and you are in control of the resistance and speed. Please try it, it is an amazing workout and it will make a difference after about 2/3 weeks in you fitness and body shape. Let me know if you do x

I started going to the gym a few weeks ago and the first week I lost 3lbs, I asked my consultant about this coz I wasn't expecting a big loss dues to going to the gym 3 times in the week but she told me (and a PT I know confirmed this) that as long as you drink plenty of fluids while you are exercising it means your muscles won't retain water which is what causes the weight gain. The best way to measure that you are drinking plenty of water is pain the next day. If going to the gym means your muscles feel tight and 'overused' the next day it means they are retaining water.

Try not to get into the mindset that it is better NOT to do exercise/body magic.

I, personally think it is essential, based on my own situation and seeing others sruggle at group (who don't exercise)

Maximus said:
Try not to get into the mindset that it is better NOT to do exercise/body magic.

I, personally think it is essential, based on my own situation and seeing others sruggle at group (who don't exercise)

I completely agree with this and have seen similar things with people who don't exercise at my group. Exercise is great for a healthy body and a healthy mind. It helps you lose weight, tone up (so you look better when the weight is off), releases endorphins which make you feel great whilst relieving stress. I can't stress enough how much better I look & how much happier I am since I've been exercising.

Mini_Mog said:
I completely agree with this and have seen similar things with people who don't exercise at my group. Exercise is great for a healthy body and a healthy mind. It helps you lose weight, tone up (so you look better when the weight is off), releases endorphins which make you feel great whilst relieving stress. I can't stress enough how much better I look & how much happier I am since I've been exercising.

Agree and agree and agree again, since I have started exercising I feel amazing, more energy and toned. If I do put on weight or STS I don't think it will bother me as much as I feel sooooo much better because of body magic.

Agree and agree and agree again, since I have started exercising I feel amazing, more energy and toned. If I do put on weight or STS I don't think it will bother me as much as I feel sooooo much better because of body magic.

its such a great feeling isnt it:D

i love the feeling of acheievement i get from the gym just by how much my fitness has improved over the time ive been going. i can do so much more now- while exercising and things like playing with my little girl. she loves running about with me and me chasing her about:) we have so much more fun now.

Mini_Mog said:
its such a great feeling isnt it:D

i love the feeling of acheievement i get from the gym just by how much my fitness has improved over the time ive been going. i can do so much more now- while exercising and things like playing with my little girl. she loves running about with me and me chasing her about:) we have so much more fun now.

It is. I am quite annoyed with myself that I left it so long but it still only took literally weeks to feel the benefits. I am definitely a body magic fan :)

I've joined and left SW many times over the years because I got so frustrated about how slow my losses were. I rejoined again in March and despite 2 holidays and loads of big family birthdays etc in that time I'm still just about a stone down. (I got my stone award before I went on hols over half term and put 2lbs on so I'm just trying to get that off this week). The difference this time is that I joined the gym and at the same time discovered zumba.

I've found I love exercise and the difference in my mood is probably the most noticable but it is certainly helping me lose weight. I also have so much more energy. Before I could happily sit and watch tv all day but now I get frustrated if I'm not moving around and doing things). I don't do the same thing every time I go which I think keeps it interesting. I go to a zumba class at my gym once a week, and a class with a local girl once a week, then at the gym I do a session of interval training on the treadmill and then another time I'll do 30 mins on the treadmaster (like a treadmill but uses loads more calories) and 10km on the bike. Doing different things stops it being a chore and the buzz is just amazing - especially from the zumba :)

I really think that even on those weeks I go over on my syns and I still manage to lose weight it's because of the exercise. I've just introduced a quick strength training routine at home which will hopefully help with the inches using lunges, squats, press ups, sit ups and the dreaded plank. If anyone knows anything about exercise and muscle groups and could let me know if this is good or not please let me know :)

In conclusion if you haven't got that already...... EXERCISE ROCKS!!!!! :D

Back