does coffee count towards water ?

must be where I'm going wrong cause since its got colder I've been drinking loads of black tea/coffee but not much water!

can I ask is it ok to add coffee to shakes then? or should we not be doing that either

oooppps:p looks like i'm gonna be cutting back on the coffee....like trisha interested to know if i should stop adding the coffee to shakes:(

The trouble is the books are unclear in my opinion, so I asked linda for clarification (Linda being on CCCC and Cambridge Goddess :D)

We went to and fro with it but she pointed me to the bit in the pink booklet which says "tea and coffee can be taken in addition" and told me that was correct

Many conversations later about it and I didn't get very far. The pink booklet was still the advice to be given out.

More here
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/61094-water-allowance.html#post949091

Obviously as I can't get to why it's not allowed instead of water, it's hard for me to answer whether there will be a problem having it in shakes.

Between you, me and the gate post though...(ssssssshhhhhhh.don't tell a soul)...I guess it wouldn't be a problem ;)

KD: While we are on the subject re: water, does the cd vegetable drink count towards the daily water intake?

I must say I am surprised with the coffee/tea thing. I have always counted my coffee's and teas in my daily intake of water. Maybe this is something I can change as I am starting again after the crimbo break, and see if I notice a difference with losses? Hey, if it helps I will grin and bear it!!! :)

Hugs x x x

im sure that adding coffee to things like shakes etc would be fine as coffee in general is fine.. just not counted in the water intake...

im sure that adding coffee to things like shakes etc would be fine as coffee in general is fine.. just not counted in the water intake...

Except the water in the shakes is counted. Okay, not part as the 2.25 to 2.5L, but it's counted all the same, which is why people have to drink extra water for tetras.

KD: While we are on the subject re: water, does the cd vegetable drink count towards the daily water intake?

Well, this is where it gets even more confusing. It seems that it is okay to count it, but why I don't know. After all, the pink booklet lists it as additional fluids and states that you have to have 4 pints of water in addition to the other added.

So strictly speaking, if the pink book is correct, as I am told it is, then water flavourings of any kind aren't included...but they are:confused:

I'll really need to bring this up with Cambridge when I speak to them face to face.

'Tis very confusing - especially when you've been around as long as I have, and have seen the rules change so often.....sigh.

I think a really good way is to have the minimum 2.25 litres/4 pints as plain (or fizzy) water, with anything on top as "flavoured" water - teas, coffees, CD flavourings***, etc.

I hope you all know about the Diet Sandwich? - big glass of water before and after each CD portion, which really helps to get through the water requirement more easily.

Our bodies really like water little and often. Think of a houseplant: pour a pint of water into it, and most will flood straight through, whereas if you drip the pint in bit by bit, the plant stands a good chance of using most of it. Same with bladders, methinks.

After all these years of practice, I have no problem drinking 6 litres of water a day - but I am 5'10".

***But don't get me started on the Golden Veg water flavouring - main ingredient is salt, and salt, of course, must not be used in CD soups.....I am waiting for it to be discontinued....

Well i have lost my four stone counting my coffee and tea in my liquids but i do glug lots of h20 like 6 pints a day so maybe this is why it doesn't affect my losses.

Good Thread you learn something new everyday

JS x

Coffee IS allowed. It's official.

Yes, coffee is allowed. In fact they suggest you don't reduce caffeine in the early days. But it doesn't count towards your 4pts

Note the highlighted words

"In addition to the water used to mix the Diet drinks and soups, it is vital that you drink at least 2.25 litres (4 pts) of water per day. Other fluids can include black tea, coffee, and herbal teas (leaf not flower) and flavoured waters."

My CDC told me it does - she said on top of the water in the shakes you can have any of the allowable fluids to make up your daily allowance. I think the quote I used from the website may not phrase it in the best way but I interpret "other fluids" as those that can be drunk to make up the allowance.

Maybe I'm wrong but just going by what my current CDC and CDC's in the past have told me. I've always used coffee and water flavourings to make up my water as I basically can't handle plain water and have never had a problem...

Might call HO to find out tomorrow x

i was once told that for your body to recognise that its having water taken in, its has to be pure!
The body doesnt recognise orange squash or coffee etc as water...therefore, its needs its dose of water in ADDITION to this!
I dont know the scientific reasoning behind this, but this was confirmed by a doctor.....so i'm going with that!

AND....rather have too much (not life threateningly so) than too little!
Too little and your body will hold on to everything it can and can cause some serious bother, too much and you just pee more! :D

Its not "official" clarification, but this seems to be why your are recommended to have 2l of water a day in general....not including Cambridge diet that is!

Why is the US version so different? I just looked it up there to see why I thought my flavored water was ok (i only let myself have up to a liter of it a day, so at least I have that going for me). The US book states that i should have at least 10 glasses of water a day, that includes non-caloric beverages as well. That's it - that's all it says! So according to this, if I wanted to I could drink 10 glasses of diet coke...

I've just had a look on the net and something told me this (it's not CD but a health website that gives guidelines on drinking water)

What counts towards your pure water intake?

"Herbal decaffeinated teas and coffee made with pure water count towards your daily pure water intake"... it goes on to say that this includes regular decaf tea and coffee.

What does not count towards your pure water intake?

Coffee and anything caffeinated : is a dehydrator and stimulates liver to release glycogen into blood stream raising blood sugar and insulin levels

Food for thought eh? x

Why is the US version so different? I just looked it up there to see why I thought my flavored water was ok (i only let myself have up to a liter of it a day, so at least I have that going for me). The US book states that i should have at least 10 glasses of water a day, that includes non-caloric beverages as well. That's it - that's all it says! So according to this, if I wanted to I could drink 10 glasses of diet coke...

I wasn't sure whether that 'why' was rhetorical or not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post this link: http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...54021-cambridge-diet-united-states-facts.html

I've just had a look on the net and something told me this (it's not CD but a health website that gives guidelines on drinking water)

What counts towards your pure water intake?

"Herbal decaffeinated teas and coffee made with pure water count towards your daily pure water intake"... it goes on to say that this includes regular decaf tea and coffee.

What does not count towards your pure water intake?

Coffee and anything caffeinated : is a dehydrator and stimulates liver to release glycogen into blood stream raising blood sugar and insulin levels

Food for thought eh? x

It certainly is. Do we actually have any glycogen left to release when we're fully in ketosis :confused:

Well that's what I was thinking... if the only downside of caffeine is that we release our glycogen, and we have no glycogen to release, is there cause for concern?

I have managed fine til now and the first time I did SS for 100 days drinking coffee the whole time, and lost 4st, with no side effects, so I think I'll just carry on regardless... not advising anyone else to do the same but that's what I'll do.

xxxx

me too....i'm just gonna keep donig what works for me!
Simples!

Back