DOING SW FROM HOME???

Hi, I'm new here! Did sw from home a couple of months ago, lost half a stone really quickly and then figured that if I could lose it so quickly I needn't be so strict and have put that half back on again
Off out for a meal tonight so am enjoying my last day eating rubbish today and getting back on it tomorrow!

Hey. I'm in the same boat. I was going to class and lost almost three stone but then moved and started a new job and at first it was an unmotivational consultant. Then the times didn't suit work. Now ive been doing it from home for 6 months and ive lost 1st I find it much harder

I'm starting today. Got an old slimming world book from a few years ago. Did do calorie counting but got so fed up weighing everything. So I dragged out my old slimming world stuff, and here I am ready to get this weight off. I'm also a little person. 5ft 1. :)
Hi, Newbie here Just started calorie counting after trying slimming world at home. Very hard to keep on track, how are you getting on? I'm not sure how long I'll stick to cc, though at the minute I'm ok, saying that I've only been doing it for 4 days!!

Hello, i have been an onlooker of the forum for a bit and so i thought i would bite the bullet and join in. Not really a group person and getting weighed in public ....yikes. Just planning the food for the first few days, and it can be so overwhelming. So, fingers crossed i can keep it up.

Hi Newbie here too. Started doing it from home as I need to shed my holiday poundage. I've done my fitness pal before but am fed up with weighing things. So I've started slimming world two weeks ago with the help of a friend who's done it before and lost loads. My problem is i don't have loads to lose and although this is a much easier plan to stick to, I'm just not seeing the results I'd like. I lost 2lb in the first week and then 0.4lb last week. I need some motivation and advice. I'm always under my syns by at least 4 each day. I exercise twice a week. Should it be this slow? Help! X

Hi Newbie here too. Started doing it from home as I need to shed my holiday poundage. I've done my fitness pal before but am fed up with weighing things. So I've started slimming world two weeks ago with the help of a friend who's done it before and lost loads. My problem is i don't have loads to lose and although this is a much easier plan to stick to, I'm just not seeing the results I'd like. I lost 2lb in the first week and then 0.4lb last week. I need some motivation and advice. I'm always under my syns by at least 4 each day. I exercise twice a week. Should it be this slow? Help! X

If you haven't got a lot to lose anyway it could well be a lot slower if you're following the extra easy plan. At my start weight being 5'9 I was only just overweight, and still just a UK size 12 (so not massive, basically). If I do extra easy with loads of carb, I simply don't lose. They tell you it's unlimited etc but that doesn't work for me. I mostly do the old red days which are no longer 'allowed' or in the book but there's probably information on here. If I really want pasta I will have it but I aim to do mostly red days. This time round, I'm losing really well combined with exercise. As you get smaller it does get harder as well but also I would suggest eating all your syns, this past week I averaged over 15 a day and lost 3lb. A couple of weeks ago I stuck to only 5 and only lost 1.5 lbs. Bear in mind if your exercise is weight training/stuff like Body Pump instead of just cardio, that can slow your losses down as you're building muscle - but you will be losing inches too!

Thank you. That's really helpful. What are 'red days'? Also, how often do you exercise and what sort do you do?

They were on the SW plan a few years ago, now have been replaced with EESP which I don't like. On red days basically you get 2 B choices and 2 A choices, all lean meat, fruit, veg, eggs, yogurt but not unlimited pasta, potatoes, rice, beans, lentils etc. The main difference was that you could have a B choice in potatoes or brown pasta. So they're lower carb which works for me, but having two B choices is still a decent amount of carb - for me it works out that I have one meal a day 'carbless' and then use the other 2 Bs in the other 2 meals, which is fine. The plan used to be red, green, and extra easy which was orange, but when they brought in EESP they also got rid of red and green. I don't like that you can't have yogurt on EESP though and tbh I tried it and it just feels like starvation to me.

I don't do a huge amount of exercise, probably 2-3 times a week. Usually a spin class, a power pump class (my cheapo gym's version of body pump!) sometimes zumba, other times just half an hour of cardio in the gym and weights machines after. I've lost this weight before without exercising and I'm definitely smaller this time around so if you're exercising, especially muscle building stuff like body pump/weights make sure you do measure yourself as well. At the end of the day while it's nice to see the scale going down, usually we care more about the size we are so I'd rather be smaller and weigh more than weigh less but not look as small!

Also do you think it matters what you spend your syns on? Sorry about all the questions. Just want to make it work for me x

Some people seem to lose better doing 'healthy syns' like peanut butter, avocado etc...I tried that and it made zero difference for me. I eat 15 a day on chocolate/sweets if I want it, sometimes Flora light for toast or extra cheese in meals, and it never seems to make much of a difference. Obviously it's generally more healthy overall if you use them on healthier food though xx

Thank you. That's all really helpful. You do quite a bit of exercise in my book! I'm lucky if I get to my Zumba class and manage a little jog each week! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?! I have upped my speed foods this week and lowered my carbs a bit so will see what the scales say on Thursday morning!

Hope you have a good week too. When is weight in for you fruit and coffee? X

Thank you. That's all really helpful. You do quite a bit of exercise in my book! I'm lucky if I get to my Zumba class and manage a little jog each week! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?! I have upped my speed foods this week and lowered my carbs a bit so will see what the scales say on Thursday morning!

Hope you have a good week too. When is weight in for you fruit and coffee? X

No problem, SW from home is hard without other people to chat to about it! It's a bit trial and error to see what works for you though. Exercise is another iffy one, I've heard some people don't lose if they do weights etc but it's never been an issue for me. And because I wasn't that big to start, I didn't lose weight on SW previously without exercising, so really I have to do some...but I know people who have lost 5-10 stone and only walk! Good luck Thursday, I'm away Thursday-Sunday in Copenhagen so not expecting a loss this week :( my weigh in is Monday x

Thank you. You're weekend sounds lovely! Enjoy! I have a few social things this weekend where we're out for dinner so I can't imagine my weekend will be much better but at least I have the rest of the week to recoup.

Someone today told me about speed days. Have you ever done those? Do they work? X

Hi, I'm trying to do sw at home on my own. It am struggling for lunch ideas on days when I'm working out of my car and as its cold I don't fancy salads. Can anyone tell me what the upto date list of heb options are in the way of bread, wrap etc

Hi, I'm trying to do sw at home on my own. It am struggling for lunch ideas on days when I'm working out of my car and as its cold I don't fancy salads. Can anyone tell me what the upto date list of heb options are in the way of bread, wrap etc
Hi :) I don't have the list but what about making a batch of SP tomato soup and keeping it in a flask for when you are in your car. I've never used a flask but i'm assuming it keeps it warm. It doesn't take long to make either or many ingredients. :D

Update on my weigh in, I lost 2.2lbs! Thank you for the tips, they helped! X

Fab loss well done! Yeah speed days are the ones I don't like if you mean Extra Easy SP. I do red days instead :) I think EESP does work but it's definitely not for me!

Jax, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the groups!

I went to a slimming world group a couple of years ago and it was horrible. To start with, the consultant was extremely patronising and immediately didn't like me because I wanted to combine SW with "process free" eating . . . meaning I wouldn't be buying all the SW goodies she tried so hard to sell. She also had no empathy or people skills . . . I explained to her in our initial "chat" that I had anxiety and social issues and that I'd rather be "ignored" during the group as I don't like attention on me but still wanted to be there for motivation. She agreed that was fine and in my first meeting she went round with all the usual weight losses etc, skipping past me (thankfully!). Then she gets to the end . . . and goes "Oh, in case you thought I missed out someone, that's Lisa (the whole room turns to stare at me!), she's going to be a silent group member as she doesn't feel comfortable joining in.". I hated that woman.

Not only that but she was the least motivating person ever, she put on weight faster than the rest of us lost it and had more "bad" weeks than the whole group combined!

I'm now doing SW online and it's so much better! And this forum is great for some stress-free support! :)

I've been to classes over the years - both SW and WW - and now I fly solo too. I quite like the SW plan but hated the classes. All that sitting round waiting for your name to be called out and then the leader tells everyone how long you've been coming; how much you've lost; and what your current results are. I found it embarrassing - the sharing of my personal details aren't something I wish to take part in. Apparently SW's philosophy is that there is no shame in a gain or maintain. Doesn't feel like that though when you're in the spotlight!

WW classes are shorter and there is a helpful topic each week but even there I've noticed that you get asked to share your losses etc. Also, should you wish to buy from the 'shop' you have to give your name in before paying. What's that all about?

Products are another thing that both organisations push so there is pressure to buy. There is also a bit of hard sell on the leadership thing as well as leaders make most of their commission that way. A bit like pyramid selling I think!

It suits a lot of people but I guess that, for me, I don't enjoy queuing to get weighed or having my details shared so it's home based for me. Nice to have somewhere like this though to come to for support.

I really agree with all of this. I hated having to sit around and wait for my name to be called, if you lose they ask what you did well or whatever - usually nothing different than just following the plan?? - and if you gain it's like oh no what happened. Which I found in either case I didn't like. And this may sound selfish, but I also didn't really care for hearing everyone else's results for 2 hours either. I know some people's groups are more friendly, and I certainly do enjoy watching other people's journeys on IG or on here, but there were so many people and just so much unnecessary talk when you're itching to get home. I do actually miss being able to buy hifi bars though as I really liked those but I agree they push the books etc. I don't like a big fuss with weight loss, I like to just get on with it and read other people's profiles as and when I want to so doing it from home is great for me - from the looks of it you're doing brilliantly at home too!

Reactions: Jax
Jax, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the groups!

I went to a slimming world group a couple of years ago and it was horrible. To start with, the consultant was extremely patronising and immediately didn't like me because I wanted to combine SW with "process free" eating . . . meaning I wouldn't be buying all the SW goodies she tried so hard to sell. She also had no empathy or people skills . . . I explained to her in our initial "chat" that I had anxiety and social issues and that I'd rather be "ignored" during the group as I don't like attention on me but still wanted to be there for motivation. She agreed that was fine and in my first meeting she went round with all the usual weight losses etc, skipping past me (thankfully!). Then she gets to the end . . . and goes "Oh, in case you thought I missed out someone, that's Lisa (the whole room turns to stare at me!), she's going to be a silent group member as she doesn't feel comfortable joining in.". I hated that woman.

Not only that but she was the least motivating person ever, she put on weight faster than the rest of us lost it and had more "bad" weeks than the whole group combined!

I'm now doing SW online and it's so much better! And this forum is great for some stress-free support! :)
:eek: That's shocking! I only went once as I've issues like you and I bolted when I realised they all sat in a circle taking turns to talk, ground swallow me up if that had happened...what a horrible thing to do. I knew someone going to WW and if you gained the most you had to run around the room saying "I'm the pig of the week!":eek:

Hello, I'm new... I have lost a lot of weight twice before, without following anything. EVERYBODY seems to be on SW... So I am giving it a bash. Perhaps not in its entirety, just going to see how it goes. The cooking and eating no (or minimal) crap appeals to me. I am not as yet going to go to class, but maybe that will change. In the mean time, I think it would be good to have some people to check in with :)

I have to be honest and say I weighed myself the day after boxing day with two days of eating in my gut so 16 stone 2 pounds, But I had a bit of a bash last week with a fair amount of bingeing still and it appears I have lost some weight although in fairness I think most of that was just from a post festive poop... a week later I am 15 stone 11 pounds.... BUT..... Today I think is my first 'proper' day of doing it. I haven't especially counted anything. My aunty does SW and I had 7 syns of sausages for breakfast, a tablespoon of extra extra light mayo at dinner and a mini mini bad of M&Ms left over from Christmas so, it's probs a bit higher than 15.

But I am going to try and get on with it!! xx

Back