Doner kebab and chips!

xxlettyxx

I've just come across this little gem and I thought I'd post it in here for fellow calorie counters. It's a recipe for doner kebab and chips done the light way for when we're in the takeaway mood :) it doesn't specify the calorie content but it could be easily worked out I think:

Kebab meat: This serves at least 7 people.

Ingredients:

1.5kg of lean lamb mince
2 large onions - peeled and chopped
6 tsp of oregano
3 tsp of thyme
3 tsp of chilli flakes
4 tsp of paprika
6 tsp of garlic powder or a couple of crushed garlic gloves

Method:

• Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Then place into a bowl and leave to marinade over night in the fridge.
  • The next day shape into a loaf and place on a wire rack over a baking tray. Cook in the oven on 170 for approx 45 minutes to an hour. The fat will drain out onto the tray so keep an eye on this.
  • Once cooked remove from the oven and cut into thin slices.
  • Serve this with salad - lettuce, onion, cucumber, red cabbage, spring onions, red peppers, grated carrots etc, low-fat colslaw and half a pitta bread.
Chips:

Ingredients:

Potatoes - 1 medium sized potato per person
Spray oil

Method:

• Peel and wash the potatoes, then chop up into chips.
  • Parboil for 5 minutes (careful you don't overcook them otherwise you'll have mashed potato!)
  • Drain water from saucepan, hold the lid on and shake to 'rough up' the edges of the chips.
  • Spray a baking tray with a little spray oil, add the chips to the tray and spray them. Sprinkle over salt if you like for a really tasty, crispy result.
  • Cook in the oven for approx 20 -30 minutes or until cooked.

Yummo! I have always wondered what the proper spices for doner would be. Thanks so much for posting this! The nice thing is that there's no "filler" like bread crumbs in the mixture, so it's easy to do the math when calculating your calories/Points/whatever. I'll make some tzatziki with fat-free Greek yogurt, for the complete experience.

No probs :) come back and let me know what it's like when you try it, as I might not get around to it for a while...

Back