donnajt's "determined this will be my last ever diet!"

Do you have 1/3 superfree with every mea?

• Yes

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters
Thanks for your message sweetie! I have not been able to get weighed for two weeks and will be going on Monday. I have been following the plan but last week I went blackberry picking and made a crumble!!! And I made crabapple jelly for the first time so I just had to have a few spoons of that! So I was trying to make up for it this week but then the other day I just had to make these scones!! You can read all about it on my blog here then you will understand - one mum to another!

www.quietlystitching.blogspot.com

Sooo I am now trying to make up for those scones and have popped my icecream maker in the freezer for tomorrow and also living off this choc pudd thing I do which is only a syn a portion.

I made the coleslaw again this week and had it with my mash pizza. Oh yum. I used greaseprrof paper instead of baking paper and my pizza stuck to it - nightmare. It doesn't normally happen with the baking paper if I spray it with frylight.

So tonight I made chilli and corn on the cob with cheese on top. That was good. I made stuffed peppers with the tilda mushroon rice with mushrooms in it and cheese on top. I think that rice is about 3 syns so makes it about a syn per portion. Yours looks lovely.

The first post I look at when I come on here is yours hun so keep up the wonderful work. Be interesting to find out what the scales say to me on Monday.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Boo!! I've realised it's all been very one-sided!! I should really read other peoples' food diaries much more often as I always pick up some really lovely looking recipes!! Yours are no exception!! The pics look fab and it looks like you love your cooking!! Do you have a favourite recipe/any SW recipe that really stood out to be yummy?! I think the recipe I've enjoyed the most since following SW is the lamb dhansak from the Curry Heaven book!! Gee it was good!! I can't wait to try the Jamie Oliver fish pie as everyone seems to be raving about it!! You must be on the go ALL the time with the 2 littluns, working, and everything else!! Sorry to hear about your family's bad luck with cancer!! It's such an evil thing! My Mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 15 months ago- It's stage 3 so they don't fancy her chances unfortunately, but at the moment she's well in herself so we have to be thankful of that while she's got that on her side! What type has your Mum got hun?

I don't know what it is with cancer at the moment, it's almost like its contagious, everybody i know has a loved one battling the b*****d at the moment. Mum has been poorly since Easter, she was in a scam car crash in january, and it is probably the crash that triggered the cancer, short version
* car crash, jan 2010, shocked, never sought medical advice/check over
* poorly with cold/flu - feb 2010 - went to gp over 4 weeks, bronchitis, anti-biotics
* never cleared - kept making excuses not to go back to gp
* i returned to work 2nd May - mum had noah for 2 hours, picked him up, mum breathless, begged her to see gp/out of of hours surgery, she said she would
* following monday - went to gp, rushed to hospital
* pleurisy in lung (may)
* then diagnosed as pleural diffusion, which basically is a reaction to cancer (june)
* secondary cancer detected, still not found
* tonsil removed as enlarged, results due 03 sept
* mid aug - diagnosed with cancer of lung lining

Week 11 Food Diary 24 Aug 2010
Target weight loss this week: -2lbs (2 stone shiny)

I start every day with a mug of hot water and a couple of slices of lemon

Friday 27 August, Day 4, Extra Easy
B: WW Yog, Banana
L: Leftover thai green curry, carrots (3 syns)
D: Chicken, chilli sauce, salad (1 syn)
HEA : Milk
HEB : Coop Wholemeal Pitta
SYNS: Curry 3, chilli sauce 1 = 4 syn
So jars of pickle onions eaten to date: 12

Exercise: 0, short walk 20 mins

picked up a copy of the new asda mag today, there are some nice recipes, such as :
* roasted tomato soup
* egg and chorizo bake
* beef rendang curry
* swedish meatballs
* pork with chorizo and peppers
* chorizo and chickpea rice
* mini omelettes (frittata) in kids section
* bolognese

i am def gonna try the egg and chorizo bake this week!

thanks for your message sweetie! I have not been able to get weighed for two weeks and will be going on monday. I have been following the plan but last week i went blackberry picking and made a crumble!!! And i made crabapple jelly for the first time so i just had to have a few spoons of that! So i was trying to make up for it this week but then the other day i just had to make these scones!! You can read all about it on my blog here then you will understand - one mum to another!

www.quietlystitching.blogspot.com

sooo i am now trying to make up for those scones and have popped my icecream maker in the freezer for tomorrow and also living off this choc pudd thing i do which is only a syn a portion.

I made the coleslaw again this week and had it with my mash pizza. Oh yum. I used greaseprrof paper instead of baking paper and my pizza stuck to it - nightmare. It doesn't normally happen with the baking paper if i spray it with frylight.

So tonight i made chilli and corn on the cob with cheese on top. That was good. I made stuffed peppers with the tilda mushroon rice with mushrooms in it and cheese on top. I think that rice is about 3 syns so makes it about a syn per portion. Yours looks lovely.

The first post i look at when i come on here is yours hun so keep up the wonderful work. Be interesting to find out what the scales say to me on monday.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i love the blog!!! Will be following you forever now lol!

OMG Donna I'm so sorry to hear that! How is she in herself at the moment? Are the pleural effusions recurrent- if so does she have to have them drained frequently? I ask this because I'm a nurse on a cardio-thoracic ITU and we have a lot of patients coming to us after lung surgery so I kind of know quite a bit about it! Not so much about the disease itself/prognosis etc, but more about actual procedures and care after these!

On a lighter note, those recipes from the Asda mag look really yummy!! I have some chorizo hangin about in my fridge that needs using so I must get onto that!! Looks like there are a few recipes using it there!

Speak soon hun, have a nice weekend! Up to anything fun? There's a village show in my village hall tomorrow, where locals submit veg, cakes etc and then in the afternoon they all get auctioned off! Then a BBQ in the evening! I've offered my services on the bar as I quite like doing that and it keeps me busy and away from the food!!! Then Sunday I'm working a double shift (7.30am-8pm) Boo hoo!! Off on Monday though, which is also WI day so had better have an angelic weekend!!X

So far it has been a one off, they took 4.5litres from her lung in the first 24hrs from the drain, unfortunately there is still some fluid on her lung which the drain just didn't remove, its a possibility that there is cancer lurking in this fluid, which would mean they have finally found the "secondary". At some point, probably once mum starts her chemo (fingers crossed week after next), they are going to operate, which means they will open her lung up, manually remove remaining fluid (which will be tested) and the plan was to fill the lung lining with some kind of medical powder which acts as a cement to stop it happening again, however, since mum was diagnosed with cancer of the lung lining i don;t know whether they can do this or not now. the good new is mum should be able to have chemo in tablet form

My poor mum was in denial for a long time, unfortunately, because they couldn't find the cancer, my mum and stepdad kept saying it was a mistake, as a sheltered housing manager, i have seen a lot of cancer but in elderly people, i kept saying but the doctors would not be seeing you if you didn't have it, there has been lots of "no results yet", "more testing needed" etc

It is really unfair mum is 58, never smoked in her life (well once to impress my dad, she didn't realise he was a non-smoker bless her!), she has aged drastically and seems to have shrunk, bless her, she is away on hols at the moment and i am missing her dreadfully

and the plan was to fill the lung lining with some kind of medical powder which acts as a cement to stop it happening again

Yes that's right, it's called talc pleuradesis. It basically adheres the linings together to prevent fluid filling the gap. I don't want to alarm you but if they do decide to go ahead and do it, the procedure can be very painful afterwards but as long as she has appropriate pain relief she should be fine. She'll probably be offered/given an epidural by the anaesthetist which is by far the best option. On our unit patients have these for 72 hours. Make sure she asks for plenty of pain relief. With regular IV paracetamol as well as the epidural she should be fine. And there are other things she can take on top for breakthrough pain such as Oramorph and Oxycontin, but different trusts/anaesthetists have different protocols! So basically make sure she's written up for everything she's allowed! Poor thing! I'm glad she's able to enjoy a holiday right now! She obviously needs it! It's just so unfair to be hit with it, at any age, but especially so young! These chemo tablets can work wonders mind you! My friend in work has lung cancer- had to have one lung removed 18 months ago and then they found a tumour in the remaining lung just before Christmas. She had lots of chemo and she was very unwell but now she's on these tablets and back in work and feeling great!! She's 42 poor thing, and also has never ever smoked!!

These mothers of ours are a worry aren't they!!
Keep smiling and let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for them both, and all the other people close to us who are suffering!XXXXX

Last edited:
Hi thought it was about time I read your diary.
Just skimmed the last few pages (as on iPod and hard to read much on here) and I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your mum.
My OH is currently fighting relapsed cancer.
I hope all works out ok. Will look properly when on laptop. Yes I'm that addicted I am reading in bed with iPod!

Wow I don't think I can ever leave minimins for a week again - had about 4 pages of your diary to catch up on!!

Sorry to hear about your mum - glad she has now been diagnosed correctly at least they can start targetting it correctly now. I lost my mum 4 years ago to skin cancer and she was misdiagnosed for over a year with a skin condition so understand how important it is to be caught early.

Big hugs for you xxx

Week 11 Food Diary 24 Aug 2010
Target weight loss this week: -2lbs (2 stone shiny)

I start every day with a mug of hot water and a couple of slices of lemon

Saturday 28 August, Day 5, Extra Easy
L: Mugshot, carrots, banana
D: Chicken cake, gravy (2) carrots, cauli, pickle onions/cabbage
HEA : Milk
HEB : -
SYNS: Gravy 2 = 2 syn

Exercise: 2 hour walk, treacherous!

Today Paul was fishing, he said "walk up and see me, only 20 min walk" OMG, we walked for over 2 hours, we had to walk through overgrown forest, my feet were stung by stinging nettles, it was all uphill and i was pushing noah in the pram, got I was sweating like a pig! But what great exercise.

Sunday, 28 August, Day 6, Extra Easy
L: Chilli, Jacket Spud, Cheese (HEA+3 syns)
D: Salad
HEA : Cheese
HEB : OOPS!
SYNS: Cheese (3) Milk for tw (2) = 5 syn

Exercise: 0

Last edited:
Gherkins for me at the moment - think I ate about half a jar today just while I was waiting for lunch to cook!!

Back