don't understand...

MissDesperate

Hi, i have noticed in the last 2 weeks my weight going up and down. First i blamed totm. But not sure anymore.
I stick to the diet 100%, drink a lot of water, excersize everyday, intensively, 4-5 times a week very intensive training at the gym, +horseriding or cycleing.
I was 96,2, then it jumped over 2 days to 97, (thought it was totm), then this week went down to 96,4 - 96,2 - today 97 back again! I expected it to go down, couse i was working out a lot...
So annoying and frustrating
It seems that i hit a wall at 96,2 :mad:

If you are excercising that much you will be replacing fat with increased muscle (which is a good thing!).

Muscle is much more dense than fat - so you would look slimmer but seem to weight the same, or even slightly more!

You could try tracking your measurements - hips, waist, bust, thighs etc, to see if this is the case.

(I am a bit worried by the amount of exercise you say you are doing - I believe Dr Dukan advises that carbs should be added to the diet before heavy exercise - perhaps someone else more knowledgeable than me could advise you on this?)

Hi, MissD. You may have just reached a temporary plateau, so don't worry too much yet. We all have a week or two (sometimes more) where nothing seems to be moving. Could even be transit issues or, as Atropos says, the muscle weight that you're building up (do you look and feel a bit leaner/more toned?)

Also, I believe that it is possible to over-do the exercise. Too much can stop having an effect as you don't allow your muscles any recovery time.

Can you post some menus for us, just in case there's anything you've missed that might be affecting your results?

i ve been always active, so its not like i started only when on dukan.
Want to try get ready for 10km charity run in 6 weeks (if possible !), so just paying more attention now to what , and increasing weekly.
Menus are practicly the same everyday, as i am a lazy cook.
Breakfest : 250g natural fat free yogurt with sweetner and oat bran.
Lunch: marinated herrings or smoked salmon or tin of tuna or turkey breast minced (fryed on water if u can call it frying)
Dinner : poached chicken or chcken legs or turkey breast mince
I snack on hard boiled eggs
On vegy days: tomatoes, broccoli, celery sticks, maybe a little mixed sallad, but not all together in 1 day.

I am in no ways experienced in sports nutrition, so take everything I say with a pinch of (lo-sodium) salt - but don't distance runners need slow and fast release carbohydrates in the mix?

It may be just time of the month (I have 8 days every month when my weight yo-yos daily around a single point) - but it is just possible that your body thinks you are actually in an emergency starvation situation, like a famine* and is trying to cling onto every gram that it can to keep you alive!

(Our bodies are stuck in the stone age - they still think "running? Must be a sabre tooth tiger behind me! Hungry? Must be the middle of winter! Help! Help!)

I am in no ways experienced in sports nutrition, so take everything I say with a pinch of (lo-sodium) salt - but don't distance runners need slow and fast release carbohydrates in the mix?

It may be just time of the month (I have 8 days every month when my weight yo-yos daily around a single point) - but it is just possible that your body thinks you are actually in an emergency starvation situation, like a famine* and is trying to cling onto every gram that it can to keep you alive!

(Our bodies are stuck in the stone age - they still think "running? Must be a sabre tooth tiger behind me! Hungry? Must be the middle of winter! Help! Help!)

This may be the case, MissD.

The only thing that I can think of in your menus that may be problematic is the smoked salmon. I know that some Dukaners have experienced trouble with it.

i dont eat salmon everyday, couse its a bit expensive, maybe twice a week max. It's good for joints.
And i take cla everyday, and fat burner before work out.
And I'm not neeeear starvation!

And i take cla everyday, and fat burner before work out.
And I'm not neeeear starvation!

It's not that you're actually starving yourself as such, but if you are undertaking such a large amount of cardio exercise whilst not eating the considerable amount of calories required to fuel this activity, then your body's metabolism will likely go into "starvation mode" - slowing right down in order to make the most of your calorific intake. It's your body's way of protecting itself and this could be an explanation for why you are eating in a Dukan-friendly way but not losing the weight.

marinated herrings <_ check these for sugar in the marrinade.

Are you hungry at all? What quantities are you eating?

Some people find that they gain water on pv days but it usually sorts itself out over a week.

Maybe you need to switch it up a little, how about adding some protein at breakfast and having half the yogurt later in the day.

What are you drinking? Getting enough water to rehydrate with all the exercise?

Sorry for the bitty nature of the reply, just trying to think a bit.

i appriciate all help, becuse i want scale to move down!
No sugar in herrings (vinegerr mariated).
Drink loads of water, 4-5 l on gym days.
I think i eat a lot, whole chicken for dinner, or 4 legs, no skin ofcurse or 400g turkey mince. I use a whole package of whatever is for dinner. I was thinking maybe i eat too much. But i know it says in the book there is no limit, so i wasn't.
I'm not hungry, i snack or eat proper meal every few h.
Give body nongym days to recover, even that i get tired very little.

You have a number of possible explanations/solutions above, some of which you can apply straight away to test...

1.) ToTM - this can stall weightloss for quite a while, because your body retains water in preparation for the bleed - you just have to be patient, then see the weight come off fast straight afterwards.

2.) Transit - try adding a little baked rhubarb to your yogurt in the morning to see if this helps.

3.) It might be muscle gain in place of fat - so try tracking measurements as well as weight to see the change.

4.) You might be over stressing your body, and perhaps should make a a decision to chose between the training and the weightloss. If the run matters most to you, swap to a runner's diet, with more slow release carbs in it. If the weightloss is more important, chose to run another race, in a few months time, and scale back the training to give your body time to change and adapt.

what rhubard might do? It's a fruit and it thought it's a nono on dukan.
I don't have a loo problm btw, eat dietery fibre everyday.
Muscle gain, maybe?
Blame totm second week in a row??
Enter the race it was just an idea, to get better motivation for excersising. I'm not good at it at all. Run 5 km yesterday , think first time in my life, and a heart rate was waay too high.
Thought excersize are to help me with weight loss and firming skin (don't want more flab , grrr!).

what rhubard might do? It's a fruit and it thought it's a nono on dukan.
I don't have a loo problm btw, eat dietery fibre everyday.

Rhubarb is a special case and is allowed, even during Attack. Mind you, I understand that the amount is limited. Hopefully, someone else will be able to let you know how much. I've never bothered with it, myself.

May I ask what dietary fibre you're taking? I'm wondering whether that might be the problem.

(Sorry, I shall be away over the weekend and won't be able to answer that for the next couple of days, but someone else should be able to reply about that.)

TOTM: My cycle can cause up to 12 days of stalling every month, when my weight will hover around the same point, then suddenly, in the following week plummet downwards. (I lost 6 lbs this week, as all the TOTM water retention ended). As long as I am following the diet, and I don't acctually gain, I don't panic.

Rhubarb is not technically a fruit - its a stem, very low in carbohydrate, and has a natural laxative effect, which is why a small amount is allowed to assist with any transit problems.

Exercise - aiming to tone as you go is great - but you can achieve this with swimming, horseriding, walking, free weights etc, without stressing your heart and joints to their limits by long distance running and cardio.

You wouldn't need to abandon exercise - just scale back the training with the promise that you will start to train for a race as part of your consolidation phase.

Also - be aware it is possible to drink to much water. Drinking more than 3 litres of water a day, even when exercising, can put serious strain on the heart, by destablising your electrolyte balance.

Sorry - just noticed something else that might help

You say you are taking CLA daily? And another Fat Burner?
Each CLA capsule is over a gram of pure vegetable oil, and not really Dukan friendly.

Some people stall with dairy. If you're only having yogurt first thing, I can't see that it would be that, but who knows - could you switch to fromage frais (there's a bit less calcium but also a lot less natural sugar in the fromage frais) to see if it makes a difference.

Also, tuna - check it's in spring water and not in brine (or even oil:eek:) or that will bump up your salt intake.

Hope it resolves itself!

hi, so update
scale went down a little bit, 0.4kg, hmm a little

So dietery fibre is all natural made of vegatable, cellulose , pectin etc, no calories.
I drink water couse i'm tirsty, i don't forse it.
I need to have my yogurt/oatbran breakfest. keeps me sain, it's my substitute for cereal . And yougurt i'm using has only 6g carbs in it, and 0.1g fat. Can't fing fromage fraise which has less.
Fat burner tablet i found in the shop with sports supplements. And its all caffeinn, greent tea, somee pepper, things like that.
Cla i know oil but it's only 2250mg daily, honestly less then 1g wouldn't make that much of a difference, and has a lot more benefits.
I remember when i was on lipotrim , i used to do a lot of gym too, and it didn't affect weight loss (only speed it up).
So it must be something to do with totm and food.
Any other ideas anyone?
I appriciate all help.

Being thirsty enough to drink 5 litres of water a day - which more water than you have blood in your body - is worrying.

Thirst on this scale may be a symptom of diabetes or insulin resistance (and increased insulin resistance has been reported as one of the side effects of taking CLA).

You should mention your thirst to your doctor and have your blood sugar tested. If you do have insulin resistance, addressing it will help your weight loss.

Some more on CLA (or conjugated linoleic acid)
2225 mg of CLA = 2.25 grams, and every capsule has some additional oil as a carrier, so you may be taking several grams of vegetable oil a day.

The studies on the use of CLA by body builders suggest that it can contribute to the loss of 90grams of fat a week, and the gain of an equal weight of muscle - which is no bad thing, but is not actually going to make you any lighter on the scales.

THe one i take is 2250mg a day.
And i never said i drink 5 l of water evryday.
I drink more then normal on gym days, sure i sweat more there too, so replacing the fluids.

O and forgot, i can't find anyway tuna in spring water, where do u get it? I use only in brine.

Last edited:
Back