Dress sizes and weight loss

I'm 5'7 too before i started losing I was a size 28 (at 27.5 stone), now am a size 24 ( 23.5 stone) When I was 16 stone I was a size 18-20 so for me i definitely have seen a correlation between the two and each size is 1.5 stone. The problems i have in stores a re more my feet which have grown to a size 10 as my arches have fallen under the weight and everywhere assumes that because I am big lady I must have big boobs. Sizes dont work cos everything that fits around my upper arms is baggy around my bust (which is about average... just a shame the rest of me isnt).

If you want to lose size... what kind of exercise plan do you follow?

weight.png

I'm fascinated that at the same height we can differ so much. I was 26-28 at 21-22 stone, and 24 at c19-20 stone and c17stone size 22. My upper arms are proportionatley bigger and skin loose. They'll take a while to go down.

My shoes (mostly lace up) are already looser and I didnt think they were fat! So I think yr feet may reduce too.

Ali

So 5ft 6ins and just under 18stone at 251lbs - and fitting into size 22 bootcut jeans (just!) from George/ASDA. Yea!

I'm motivating myself by having a size down before I can get into them so also bought some size 20s. I was astonished the size 22s fit when I tried them on yesterday. They are tight-ish on the thighs but it's the first time for ages I've had trews that are tight on the thighs by design.

Ali

i'm 5ft 6 and 18.09 and i just fit into size22 jeans from George too ( Major CT though lmao)

You're probably right about the shoe size, I had water which has improved now and I have recently discovered I have fallen arches (all the weight on them for years hardly surprising) which means my feet have stretched out, cos now I have some good insoles they arent as long.

Shoes are a nightmare for me I'm a size 10. As a woman I am supposed to love shopping, but I hate it with a passion cos I cant get what I want.

You're probably right about the shoe size, I had water which has improved now and I have recently discovered I have fallen arches (all the weight on them for years hardly surprising) which means my feet have stretched out, cos now I have some good insoles they arent as long.

Shoes are a nightmare for me I'm a size 10. As a woman I am supposed to love shopping, but I hate it with a passion cos I cant get what I want.

OOh I hate shopping too, but I hope one day I won't!

I have size 8 feet which I've always felt made me more stable but recently as I've started doing pilates I've noticed my posture is awfull, feet turned out ect. Better fix that now!! lol

Anyway 18lbs down now and I've no sign of clothes being looser yet...sigh...fingers crossed for soon as I figure I probably need to shift another 24lbs before I see it.

Previously posted, but wanted to update! I'm now 16st11.5lbs down from 20st. I was wearing very tight 22's should probably have been wearing 24's. I'm now able to fit into size 20's but they are a little tight around the waist. I'm 5'5 x

I've just had to buy size 18 tops because I'm 26 weeks pregnant and size 16 don't cover my bump properly. I'm 5'5 and weigh 16st 10lb's. It's so strange seeing how different people are at the same height and weight when it comes to sizes. You've done amazing with your weight loss, I bet you feel great. Good luck on the rest of your journey if your not finished yet x

Im 5ft 2" and am currently a size 16 on bottom and 14 on top, ive always been really heavy and muscular, i was classed as obese at 11 stone even tho i was a size 12 bottom and 10 top! so thats why my goal is still a high BMI lol, i was a size 20 at about.......15st 8lb, i tend to gain muscle and loose alot of inches without the scales shifting hugely, ive lost a stone and 2 dress sizes, everyones different! you should be able to figure it out once you go down one size, then you can normally figure out what your bodys like! good luck!

Update:

So at 16stone12 I fitted into size 20 jeans form Asda. I feel really good in the bootcut denims. They make me feel very long legged - which as I'm 5ft 6 is a tiumph! At 16stone 8, the skinny jeans size 20s are slightly loose at the waist - but snug on thighs - so nice to waer but not as good at the denim bootcuts. I am wearing these two pairs of trousers all the time.

I'm also in sice 36G bras - an amazing fitting at John Lewis. I can't recall being size 36 for several decades! I bought 2 from John lewis and then a few more from ASDA. The John Lewis ones provide much better support and are nude and white. The ASDA ones are prettier colours but only 2 hooks at the back and less good support. I haven't meausred my size up top as I'm still in 24 shirts. I tried on the only 18 top I have - a ptretty top I bought when optimistically doing WW some years ago. It doies up now but is indecently tight so I suspect I'm 20-22 up top.

I was 20 stone exactly on Monday morning and in a size 22-24 trousers and a size 26/28 top as my boobs are big and always buy bigger tops anyway. I think I could probably get into a 24/26 top.

I am hoping to get down to a 14/16 and I will be happy as I have never been a slim person so will be nice to be able to go into Primark and such places and buy "normal" clothes rather than having to shop online or in Evans all the time and pay double the price.

I am quite scared of trying new clothes on as will be gutted if I don't drop sizes but am going to maybe buy a size 20 trousers from Asda and just keep them as goal.

Hi Shyvon. On a vlcd I find it really exciting to have the next size down. I recommend the bootcut jeans from ASDA cos they look good! Asda Skinny jeans are just too skinny to be motivational!

Good luck,

Ali

I'm 5' 4", when I started my diet I was 17 stone 3 and a size 22-24. Now I'm currently 15 stone 4 pounds and I just bought my first size 18 top (from Tescos) in what seems like forever! I bought myself some size 18 work trousers too but I'm not quite into them yet, I can do them up (just!!) but I am literally bursting out of them LOL so my true size right now is a comfy 20 although I'm close enough to the 18 to practically sniff it!!! I really have no idea what weight I need to be to get into that elusive 16 I crave so if there's anyone simelar to me I'd be very interested in knowing their thoughts :)

I was alwaysssss 13 stone 10 and a size 16-18 in everything

I am now 13lb lighter and in some places the 16s still only just fit me!! doing my head in, it's probably because it all changes after a baby but it's still disheartening!

Rosa
That's why it's worth sticking to one brand in measuring reductions. I'm sure some 20s wouldn't acommodate ,my thighs. For example the skinny jean in the same brand (ADSA) doesn't fit as well as their boot cuts.

You have probably lost visceral fat. This internal fat is the most dangerous sort. I could feel an ability to breathe deeper a few weeks in, when clothing size hadn't changed at all.

Btw, have you measured your inches all over? I bet in places you will have lost - even if hips/thighs have remained. My bra is now a 36 - I haven't been a 36 for 2 or more decades. Cup up from DD or DDD to G, as relatively inch difference up.

Keep the faith and keep going.

thanks ali, i'm feeling a bit better today, mostly i buy jeggings or pants from new look or asda, i was disheartened because before i got pregnant i was fitting in a size 16 work pants from new look, went yesterday to buy some for when i go back to work and the size 16 just about fit! but then today i am happy because a size 16 jeggings from there that didn't used to fit now fit comfortably and even fall down when stretched so it made me feel a bit better

i'm also noticing my bras going a bit looser, i have had to move the back from the loosest to the tightest and have room in the cup, i should go and buy more but to be honest, don't have the money at the min!

Loving all the posts girls! Congratulations on all your losses, non gains, and sucesses!!

well done on your loss bluecatlady! you are doing great. im 13 stone 12lb at the moment, and a size 16 on the bottom and 14-16 on top (depending on the shop!).

at my heaviest I was 17 stone 2, and a size 20-22. I found that the more exercise I did as I lost....the more it changed my shape, particularly resistance exercise. Definitely made a huge difference.

Best of luck to you x

I am wondering at what rough weight I can expect to be a size 18-20 and actually shop in ‘normal’ shops at last!!

I know this is an old thread but, I am 17stone and 5'6.5" and I wear a top size 16 and bottoms are 18. I do have a friend who weighs 14 stone and wears size 18 and she looks bigger than me as well even though I am a lot heavier. When I was near enough 20stone I was wearing top sizes 18 and 20 on the bottom. A lot of things go into factor with dress sizes and weight, some people can pull their weight off better than others. Some people carry a lot of weight in a certain place and others are a lot more in proportion, my friend has skinny legs and can go out wearing dresses confidently but all her weight is in her top half, the tops of her legs bulge then go really skinny! :eek:

I think asda jeans are tiny I have my size 22 Evans that I'm retiring now cos they are way too big! And asda 22s are fitting me now.. I've had them since I first met my hubby 3 years ago an they never fitted me then but for some reason they were in my dads still with the tag on and they fit me yay!! So skinniest I been since I met hubs id say im an 18/20 on top now.. I've lost 10 inches from my hips and 10 inches off my waist... I have the pear shape my hips are like a whole 10 inches bigger than my waist always!! I'm a dress makers nightmare because I go out at the bust have a tiny waist and huge hips!! I'm only a lil 5"1 :(

It's so strange how our bodies can differ! I'm 5'5" and at 18.5 stone I'm a 18 - 20. Before I got pregnant I was a loose size 10 at 11.5 stone - this is the ultimate goal!

Long way to go but we can do it! X

Back