Dress sizes and weight loss

BREAKING NEWS ...so EXCITED! I'm 5ft 6ins and 16st4lbs - and can wear size 18 ASDA bootcut jeans. My 22s are way too big now, and the 20s need a belt. So exciting to have a pair to slim into. I already have a pair of size 16s in the cupboard as I don't live near an ASDA. I had no idea that modern jeans had stretchi-ness as I last wore jeans in the 1980s..... I don't know about my top. My bra size is down 4 back sizes and up 3 cups sizes. I'm still shopping my wardrobe and am in size 24 tops mostly - they are variable in actual measurements. I will go shopping soon for tops as they are becoming way too loose and will report back then.

wel im 5"9 and 280lbs a size 18/20 i too would like to know what weights are to what size (around my height) feels like it will be forever till im in a 16 again!!

I'm impressed that you are an 18/20 - as I am 3 inches shorter than you and was 24/26 at 280lbs. I think the volume is significantly larger with every inch shorter! We are all different - but my guess is it may take two stone to have the 20s falling off you and 3 plus to be into 16s. It seems so slow at first. Good luck and come back and post when you go down a size.

Hi,
I just came across this post and thought it was really interesting and it's something I have often wondered about so here's my contribution.

I'm 5'9" and at about 24st I wear size 28 on the top and 24 on the bottom. I have small boobs but the area above my waist is huge and my legs are slimmer compared to the rest of me which makes trousers baggy round the leg and tight at my waist.
When I got down to 19 st I got into 20/22 for trousers and 24 top.

Now I am back up to 24st again and on day 2 of my diet - Size 16 here I come!

I weigh 12.5 stone (175lb) and wear a UK 14-16. I'm about 5'7 and I'm a 34G bra size, if that means anything to you. When I was 9 stone, I was a size 8 on bottom and a 6 on top. Hope that helps :)

When I started, weighing 279lbs I was a size 24 so I'm definitely impressed that you're only a size 18-20! I've lost almost 35lbs (so now 244lbs) and I'm now an 18-20.

wel im 5"9 and 280lbs a size 18/20 i too would like to know what weights are to what size (around my height) feels like it will be forever till im in a 16 again!!
well i am 5"8 so close enough! I have been back in my size 16 jeggings since about 13 and a half stone ISH and still in them now, they are lose but i don't seem to be able to fit into 14s yet!

hope that helps x

Just thought I'd throw my sizes into the mix.

When I was 240lbs I was a big size 18 in trousers and dresses. Size 16/18 in tops.

I'm now 177lbs and I am a size 14 in trousers and dresses (*happy dance*) and a size 12/18 in tops.

So it took 4.5 stone for me to lost 2 dress sizes although going from a 16 to a 14 took less time than 18 to 16.

With regards to DP, which was mentioned way back. I find their jeans fit me the best. I'm definitely a size 14 there. Although jean sizes with me depends on stretch. A size 14 will fit me at my hips and waist but my thighs and calves are so big that I can't get some brands anywhere near my waist to do them up!

WOW thats amazing 20 stone and in a 18/20. I am 19 stone 7 (273 lbs) and I am in a 24 top and 22 bottoms and am 5"6 you must really carry your weight well to be 18/20 all over you should be proud. I have lost just short of 2 stone and only gone down 1 size in bottoms but 2 sizes on top

I'm size 20 top and bottom :) 203lbs only 5"1

I weigh 12 stone today, I'm 5'9. Trousers I'm into a 14 now - if I want to breath!! Ha ha! But I have big boobs - 36F or G depending on time of month, so tops are a nightmare.

I was a size 8-10 when I got married 8 yrs ago, and a 34C... Oh to be able to buy pretty little bras again! *sigh*

I weigh 12 stone today, I'm 5'9. Trousers I'm into a 14 now - if I want to breath!! Ha ha! But I have big boobs - 36F or G depending on time of month, so tops are a nightmare.

I was a size 8-10 when I got married 8 yrs ago, and a 34C... Oh to be able to buy pretty little bras again! *sigh*

I'm similar to you; 5ft 9 (just under), 12 stone and big boobs -I vaguely remember pretty bras, now I just opt for whatever makes me breathe easier/less back pain which is usually a sports bra atm with an inch thick strap.
My waist has always been smaller than the rest of me. I find it so hard to get trousers which fit both waist and thighs. I end up with size 16 (smallest I can get my legs into) but put darts in to make 14 ish.
Dresses can vary so much!

12stone: size 16
When I was 117lbs I was a size 8-10
110lbs Size 6 (not a good size for height)

Lisa

Lane Bryant in the US do three styles of plus sized trousers and jeans - curvy, moderately curvy and straight. I was so pleased when I found their curvy trousers as they were the only ones that would come in enough at the waist. They now ship to the UK - so if anyone is interested, look for RIGHT FIT™ PANTS & JEANS - and see the measuring directions.Plus Size Right Fit Pants, Jeans, Crops & Capris | Lane Bryant

I also love their bras Full Figure Plus Size Bras | DDD Bras and Above | Lane Bryant Why don't Uk companies make such confy bras in such great colours and patterns?

These seamless pants are soooo comfortable - and I'm finding the larger sizes I have still fit despite my shrinking butt and hips. Plus size Seamless brief | Cacique Intimates No VPL and the colours last.

Ali

I'm 5'7" and pear shaped- currently wearing a 38C bra but my hips are about 55 inches. At my highest weight (20.5 st) I was a size 24, at the moment (19st) a size 22, just squeezing into size 20. My lowest weight was 15.5 st and I was just barely getting into a size 18 at that stage, even though I was very toned from weight training. I'd probably need to be about 15-14.5 stone to properly wear a size 18, so who knows how small I'd need to be to get into a 16 or lower! Darn huge hips! On the plus side, if a dress is sleeveless and empire bust, I can get away with a size 12-14 in some cases.

This website is brilliant; you pick your height, weight and body shape and it'll show you photos of women with the same stats, and tell you what size they're wearing (I think theyre US sizes which are one below us, ie UK20 = US18, UK16 = US14)

Welcome - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

AliGal said:
Clothing inflation i n sizes fyi :Clothing sizes: Dressing up | The Economist (picked up via this blog mentioned on minimins GI/GL board GI News ) I probably was size 14 in 1975.....

Maddest thing in the world because my hubby's a size 44 waist but if I measure he's more like a 49 and I was baffled by it very interesting read thanks :)

Im only 5ft4 but when I was 16 stone I was a size 20, at 12 stone I was a comfy size 16 and some 16's were getting a bit big. A lot of people say a stone lost in weight means down a dress size, but I found it more like stone and a half to go down a dress size, but hopefully now I have less to lose it will mean I go down clothes sizes a bit faster

I think you have to address your biggest problems with food, when I was 16 stone I just felt so out of control, kept doing diets which didnt work... because I didnt stick to them but lied to myself and said I did lol... so I did a diet which took total control of what I ate... I did food replacement... I lost 4 stone but its a really hard diet to do as u have to give up EVERYTHING, but you lose weight fast, I lost 4 stone in just under 5 months.

Then I fell off the wagon and realised that although food replacement got the weight off fast, it didnt teach me how to eat well, when I came off it, I would binge on the food I had turned down and keep saying "make the most of it... i'll go back on the diet tomorrow" so now Im taking control of what I eat and counting calories, properly this time... instead of going "ahh thats about 1 serving" (when it was WAY over) or "thats about so and so cals" (when again... it was WAY off lol) and Im moving more, nothing crazy or which takes over my life, but when I walk the dog, instead of sitting in the park and watching him run around, I keep him on the lead and do a brisk walk for 50mins, instead of sitting on my sofa to watch tv, I sit on the exercise bike and peddle away! I only started on the 1st of May and Ive already lost 7lbs, I know Im not going to lose anywhere near that much every week but its a good kick start.

No one can pick a diet for you, you just have to think about what your major problems with food are and pick a diet which address's that. Good luck :)

Back