Driving test!

J.D

Silver Member
Hiya.

I'm taking lessons at the moment, maybe only for another few weeks. My instructor is brilliant! I've taken lessons for years but never found the right instructor. Now I've passed my theory test I have only 2 years to pass my test, so very determined.

I'm worried that nerves will naff it up for me. How do you overcome them and stop them from letting you make stupid mistakes?

I have taken two mocks already, the first I failed with 3 minors 1 major and the second I passed with something like 6 minors.

I was exactly the same hun, my mum told me to use Bach Rescue Remedy. A couple of drops directly onto your tongue or in water in the days leading up to your test and again on the actual day. I found it helped :)

My sister used that for a flight once. Worth getting some in :) thank you.. Do calms work?

Just remember that you know what your doing, I did loads better in my test then when I did my mocks, that was partly because the mocks I did just before my test I made all the mistakes so I remembered them and didn't do them again (fair enough could have gone the other way) just try and relax and think of things which calm you, the examiner I had looked like my Uncle so I just kept thinking ''Just driving with my Uncle'' he was also quite good and spoke to me which put me at ease, I've heard of one's who sit in complete silence which would have made me more nervous, hopefully you'll have a nice one like I did. Good luck hun. (I also did lessons for years before finding the right instructor btw)

Hi Hun, I actually passed my driving test today! :cool:
I did a test in September which I failed miserably and I put that down to nerves, it was horrendous. I have felt really nervous all week and last night I just thought.. what will be will be and if I fail I'll just re-book it... its not a life or death situation (just expensive)
The examiner was really nice and chatty which helped and I just imagined it was like any other lesson- I passed with 2 minors.
I would suggest taking something that you can buy over the counter for nerves, I have medication for anxiety which I take as and when I need them so I had one of those this morning, I don't know if they had an effect or whether I just went in with a more positive attitude.
Good luck with it hunny x

Thanks girls. I just get really clumsy when I'm nervous lol. Congrats on passing your test!

And thanks for that, if I fail it's not the end if life as I know it, just re book lol.

My partner is a driving instructor of 28 years and he says some of his pupils have tried the above remedies, with varying effects but when he has taken extremely nervous people, some even being referred to him from psychologists, he has recommended they ask their GP for something to calm their nerves on the day. He says most doctors are happy to do this, as it's just a short term solution. You may well have passed by now but, if not, good luck!

Haha here I am nearly 2 years on. After 3 attempts I passed my test and I've been driving for over a year now! Funny looking back at my old posts.

I changed the time of my test. Mornings weren't working for me. I had 3pm test instead. And I didn't think too much about it. I had the manager of the test centre as well and the route was so easy compared to the others :) and I used rescue remedy.

Back