Dukan, Diabetes and Dinner Suits

I have been known to take my own food on a plane before, but usually sandwiches... which I vaguely remember as being a pleasurable portable food experience :)

Not sure what I'll do on Monday... might take sushi on the plane... can get that at the airport... or maybe take a salad in a box. It's 9 hours, so I may have to tough a bit of it out.

Matt, Pret a Manger, Egg & Spinach Protein Pot. Saved me on my last flight ;)

Allergic to eggs.... but a nice idea... might just take a homemade chicken salad in my laptop bag... in a tupperware I don't mind ditching.

Allergic to eggs.... but a nice idea... might just take a homemade chicken salad in my laptop bag... in a tupperware I don't mind ditching.
Sorry - I'm such a div. I knew that... Weekend brain!

Hope you sorted something for the flight, Matt. Have a great trip and tell us all about it when you're back :)

So - back after a week in the US for business. Weighed in this morning at 20st 4lbs - I managed to take off another pound over the week... which I am well pleased with.

It wasn't perfect, no oatbran porridge (how I missed that at breakfast), and some mixed success with meals provided for meetings - but I largely managed to avoid carbs (reinforced by reading the book 'Wheat Belly' on the flight over).

I found sushi a good option for the flights - the rice badness was easily offset against seeing the horrific food on the plane - I flew to Seattle with Delta airways, they serve TWO meals and a snack on a 9 hour flight... including one meal which was a molten Calzone in a box... I took one sniff and left it there. No amount of bulk is going to get me eating cr*p like that.

So - now I am back in the UK - and having three attack days to get me back on track, then I'll gently go back to PP/PV alternating days - once I get back to those, I'm going to start hitting the gym again, 30 mins of walking a day is not cutting it for me, so I'm going to up my exercise a little bit.

Omg!!! A week in the states and you've lost a pound!! Incredible... It must have been so tough for you....shows how much your in the zone!!

wheat belly? Sounds interesting! Worth reading? Yep me too with the old 30 min walk, I'm so used to it now I don't even break into a sweat, so doing my fitness classes this week...

pat yourself on the back...massively!! :)

Thanks Andi - personally, feels like a miracle!

Wheat Belly by Davis William - really, really interesting. (Amazon Link)

Fascinating book about how removing wheat from your diet can reduce weight, change body shape and reverse a lot of medical issues. The first two sections are about what wheat does, and why it does it. Summary - the wheat we eat today, is VERY different from the wheat of our grandparents - and this is not a good thing. The last section is a diet - might be useful for some, but not for me.

I came away thinking that we had all been duped about the wholewheat revolution (eat brown bread, it's good for your heart) - and just how much better I felt really soon after starting Dukan. The biggest thing I removed from my diet was wheat (and some fat), and the effects went way beyond just losing those first few pounds (digestion, wind - sorry, even my manly 40 something year old skin looks brighter).

I have decided that however long I stay on Dukan, even when I reach my target weight - the last thing I will introduce back to my diet, is wheat.

Maybe I am late to this way of thinking - but for me, this was a revelation.

Interesting! Thanks for the link.

I will have a read actually. Yes I think most things would be completely different from what our grandparents eat. I do eat 1 tbsp of organic wheatbran most days as a tolerated item when I make my bread, so maybe it will make me alter the recipe after reading. Interesting that on consolidation Dr Dukan says you must eat whole wheat bread every day :0

god yes..,this is the only diet that really does go beyond losing the pounds. Exactly as you said - for me wind, again sorry, is the biggest noticeable difference. It literally stopped overnight! And my skin, so much brighter & softer!

In slimming world, you are encouraged to switch to whole wheat pasta & brown rice!

:)

So - back after a week in the US for business. Weighed in this morning at 20st 4lbs - I managed to take off another pound over the week... which I am well pleased with.

It wasn't perfect, no oatbran porridge (how I missed that at breakfast), and some mixed success with meals provided for meetings - but I largely managed to avoid carbs (reinforced by reading the book 'Wheat Belly' on the flight over).

I found sushi a good option for the flights - the rice badness was easily offset against seeing the horrific food on the plane - I flew to Seattle with Delta airways, they serve TWO meals and a snack on a 9 hour flight... including one meal which was a molten Calzone in a box... I took one sniff and left it there. No amount of bulk is going to get me eating cr*p like that.

So - now I am back in the UK - and having three attack days to get me back on track, then I'll gently go back to PP/PV alternating days - once I get back to those, I'm going to start hitting the gym again, 30 mins of walking a day is not cutting it for me, so I'm going to up my exercise a little bit.

Well done on losing weight while away in the US and out of your usual routine!

Thanks Andi - personally, feels like a miracle!

Wheat Belly by Davis William - really, really interesting. (Amazon Link)

Fascinating book about how removing wheat from your diet can reduce weight, change body shape and reverse a lot of medical issues. The first two sections are about what wheat does, and why it does it. Summary - the wheat we eat today, is VERY different from the wheat of our grandparents - and this is not a good thing. The last section is a diet - might be useful for some, but not for me.

I came away thinking that we had all been duped about the wholewheat revolution (eat brown bread, it's good for your heart) - and just how much better I felt really soon after starting Dukan. The biggest thing I removed from my diet was wheat (and some fat), and the effects went way beyond just losing those first few pounds (digestion, wind - sorry, even my manly 40 something year old skin looks brighter).

I have decided that however long I stay on Dukan, even when I reach my target weight - the last thing I will introduce back to my diet, is wheat.

Maybe I am late to this way of thinking - but for me, this was a revelation.

I have also read Wheat Belly and I always feel so much better when I stay away from wheat.

I'm delighted to read that you returned from a week "off plan" with a weight loss. Well done you because the temptations (aside from that calzone!!) must have been tremendous.
x

Bleurgh! Delta literally does the worst food - Once I was on a flight with them and they actually served Fried Chicken and Chips - seriously!!

Brilliant work for avoiding the plane food. I always feel so smug when I hand back an untouched tray to an airhostess with a smile of: "you really think I'm that hungry?"

I'll bet there are few people who can proudly say they have spent a week on business in the states and come back with a loss - nice one!

I've heard about this Wheat Belly movement and I always get super bloated when I eat wheat. Maybe I'll check it out - thanks for the tip :)

Well - I spent the first part of the week back in attack mode, then alternate days of PV on wednesday and today...going OK and the jetlag didn't have me craving too much junk.

I promised I wouldn't get on the scales in between Mondays - but instinct told me to jump on this morning - and I'm pleased I did, as I have hit my first milestone.

20st exactly... a total loss of 20lbs... well pleased with that. I promised myself that I would have a splurge meal when I got there, but I've decided to hold off on that now, and wait for a special occasion. It's my Dads birthday in a few weeks time, and I think I shall treat myself to one 'off the record' meal.

Proper weigh in will be Monday morning,when I'm really hoping to have 19 in front of it... for the first time in 12/14 years.... something like that

But for now...

fist-pump-baby.jpg

Love it!!! Well done your doing amazingly well! You should be very proud of yourself! Remember this feeling and you will never go back!

Congratulations!!!! Awesome result you totally deserve it!! Here's to the 19's ...:)

Well - Week 5 weigh-in and update - that 20st barrier is proving a hard one to crack... I had hoped to have a 19 in front of things by the end of the weekend, but stubbornly my scales refused to dip below 20 this morning.

I thought about taking the scissors to my hair... and trimming my finger nails, but time is tight in the morning. Anyway, my hair looks good at the moment!

Seriously - not worried too much about it, I have learned that this diet seems to do 2/3 days at the same weight, then a little steady drop BUT I am promising myself not to weigh-in until next Monday...

Weekend eating was pretty good... I did the legendary Beef Curry on Friday - and then a steak night on Saturday... yesterday I made a really low fat bolognaise - obviously without the pasta. I did 7500 steps on my fitbit on Saturday and 10,099 yesterday (shopping for shoes doncha' know) - so I felt pretty good about my efforts over the weekend.

So - PP day today.... and then alternating this week - and resistance to jumping on the scales until 0600 next Monday!

Happy Week everyone! Here's to 19's next week!

Lovely to read you Matt. I tend to buy my walking shoes on line (far cheaper but I guess you need to find the comfy pair you want first in a shop!!). No pasta? Has no one mentioned konjac noodles to you yet? Or slim rice/pasta? OK they don't come close to "real pasta" but I use them for stirfries and am happily duped by the look (if not the taste) of them... Holland & Barrett sell them (or, again, online).

I love my fitbit!

Good luck for the 19s... :D

Well - I broke through a barrier - but it feels like a stubborn nut to crack. Weekly weigh in at "oh my god o'clock" this morning was 19st 13lbs - so for the first time in 10/12/15 years, I weight less than 20 stone... I am pleased with that achievement so far, but a tiny bit disappointed I didn't push on this week, despite being pretty good with my diet all this week.

I can't say the same for exercise though - I think that is the key bit missing, I am not getting my 30 mins every day - and I suspect that is costing me a little - I'll make bad weather and busy work excuses - but really I need to get off my arse a bit more.

So - this week is alternating PP and PV days again - starting with PP today after a lovely Roast Chicken dinner yesterday (no skin, lemon and tarragon from the Dukan Book) with the Teriyaki Cabbage dish from the Dukan Recipe book... was nice to have some different flavours in my meal. I'm in the office, giant bottle of water in front of me, and my warm Oatbran porridge keeping my heated from within whilst it pours down outside.

I do realise of course that not every week can be a big drop, and it will get harder as I go...but I'm hoping this week I can make some good progress ahead of visiting my Mum next weekend for two days, which will be tough.

Happy Monday fellow Dukaners!

What excellent motivation Matt... you've a few days yet until you visit your Mum and you know she'll be staggered at what you've lost already so any more is a bonus.

I hear you re bad weather excuses (if not long hours at work though!). I've been arming myself with "alternative exercise" ideas for those days when walking just isn't an option! To be honest, putting on one's favourite tunes and having a boogie probably shifts one's butt more than a walk even, but it's slightly harder to keep it up for 30 mins (although not in a nightclub, I'm thinking, so perhaps I'll try that the next rainy day!).

Hang in there Matt.
PS - oh, and for the weekend, if lapses there are, try to make them Atkins type lapses (ie fat rather than carb)... perhaps forewarn your Mum re what is obvious to us that you won't eat like dessert and potatoes!

Back