DUKAN ON A BUDGET ...

In my local hypermarket, mussels in their shells are on offer so it'll be moules marinières Dukan style for me again Sunday lunchtime! Feels like a treat and takes AGES to eat!

Yesterday on Will your crash diet kill you? the weekly budget of the Dukan slimmer was quoted as being 100 pounds; I thought it is a bit excessive, even for a beginner. How much do you spend on average? Even for me (living on my own) it would be difficult to answer that question but I will try to keep a buying diary for a week and see. Still, I think I spend substantially less than 100 quid on food and drinks!

Err???? :eek: I spend very roughly that much on a FAMILY of 4 (kids age 6 and 3), including a Organic box Fruit and Veg delivery, and all non-food items like washing powder and shampoo. Ok, the kids get school meals, but DH takes sandwiches etc from home.

I'm the only one dukanning it, and while I've moved to Stab now my budget in the summer was no different really. Eggs and 'value' chicken and salmon trimmings are the way to go ;-)
My skimmed milk (and by extension the yoghurt I make from it) comes from Aldi (UHT, same price as Sains/Tesco Value but better packaging), my oatbran comes in bulk from a wholefood cooperative. But the quark comes from Budgens and is considerable dearer there than the big supermarkets.

I watched it on 4oD earlier today and was shocked by that statement - what a load of absolute tosh! Unless, of course, they buy all of their groceries at Harrods!

Our usual food bill for my husband, myself and our cats used to come to around £40, but is hovering around £50 on Dukan.

On Dukan I was spending roughly 20-30 a week, on atkins so far its 15-25.
I could have done it slightly cheaper (only buy bulk yog, not have any 'treat meat' like steak) but I wasnt unhappy with that - especially as I'm eating out less.
I struggle to get close to 100 on my quarterly stock up(to try and get free delivery). No idea how to do that on a weekly basis.

Unusual for me to be able to post about a UK offer, but I'm reliably informed that Tesco have their oatbran on offer at £0.99 for 500g, and it's 3 for 2 until March 1st. (My sister's got me 9! It costs twice (three times?) that here without the offer!)!

Tesco Whole Foods Oatbran (500g) in Tesco | mySupermarket

Bummer, I just bought 4kg on Monday... there is a limit to how much you can store!!

Best offer I had on oatbran was two weekends ago. I bought a 3K bag from health food shop priced at €11 something, and it went through the till at €3.50!

Large beef roasting joints are seriously reduced in Sainsbury again (£5.99/kg). Last time I bought one, made a roast (slow cooker) and chopped some up for mince and stew & froze. Kept us going for a while...

Let's hope I can get one tonight before they sell out!

Possibly this only will help Jo, but maybe available in the UK too. Lidl have 2-pack sugar-free sweets in their 'light' range - strawberry (which I found nasty) or caramel (much nicer but more fat) for 99 cents. We've stocked up as 'currently stopped for a month and counting' husband is getting though sweets at a fair rate, Ricola was costing as much as the cigs (though kinder on the lungs if not on the teeth;)).

(Still haven't found anywhere else cheaper for smoked salmon either:).)

Funny you should mention that, but we were planning a trip on Saturday after Auchan. Thanks! I too like Ricolas but too many and I suffer and they are rather addictive!

I've been using a Lidl's dairy find this week and it's not at all bad and very cheap.

The brand is Linessa, it's a blue and white packaging and so far I've found a cream cheese at 0.2% fat and a plain yoghurt at 0.1% fat.

I'm in Ireland so the prices here were about 69c if I remember rightly for the cheese and I think about 99c for the yoghurt.

I've just now realised I picked up the wrong yoghurt yesterday and its a 1.5% fat on the one that I bought, which isn't too bad either. The brand name on that higher fat content is Milbona.

The Linessa range has some cheeses too but far too high in fat for the Dukan way.

Hope this is useful to someone!

I just started tracking the cost of my diet - and worked out that my food bills had dropped dramatically!

Most of this is because I am not buying breakfast and lunch at the pret opposite my office - porridge plus sandwich, soup or salad can quickly add up to about £10 a day/£50 a week, even before I start thinking about the weekend and evenings.

I just started tracking the cost of my diet - and worked out that my food bills had dropped dramatically!

Most of this is because I am not buying breakfast and lunch at the pret opposite my office - porridge plus sandwich, soup or salad can quickly add up to about £10 a day/£50 a week, even before I start thinking about the weekend and evenings.

That's a great post, I always thought that (some) people bemoaning the cost are not necessarily making the right sums - yes you are spending more on your supermarket food bill, but this COULD be offset by savings on the all the sandwiches and coffees you no longer buy outside the home...

Of course in my case I was already taking in my own lunches, nor going out much, so no saving there.

Smoked Salmon and large Beef roasting joints are half price in Sainsbury again. Also some good 3 for £10 offers in the meat and fish dept ...

Spot any offers anywhere? Add them here!

Just saw from Lil Miss Sunshine that Morrisons have a Muller Lite offer (10 for £2). Remember only toffee and vanilla are for us

Back