Attack Dukan - TOTM

Susiepoos

This is a little off plan but I'm wondering if there's anyone who can advise me. I started my period 12 days ago - I'm usually 'on' for 5/6 days at the very most but today is day 12 and I'm exhausted. I keep thinking that I'm stopping and then a few hours later I'm bleeding again. This is my first period since starting the diet and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Hi susie, it sounds quite strange to me, but then my periods are daft anyway, I quite often stop mid week and then start again for a few days, but I have to admit never for 12 days. It sounds like a trip to the docs or practice nurse is in order.

I was thinking that might be the case but I'm up to date with my smears but this is so abnormal for me

It may well be your bodies reaction to the diet, but its not worth risking another month. Maybesomeone else can answer if they have had problems.

I'd get to the GP if I were you. It could be that you need iron. If your levels are low that can make you bleed more and would also explain the exhaustion. A simple blood test will check for this :)

Hi Susie

I had my first period while being on the diet a couple of weeks ago, and mine too lasted forever!!!!

It started off very light, then after about three days went as heavy as normal, lasted like this for about 5 days (normal for me) but then it went light again and was like this for another week!!!! (Not normal for me).

I was just assuming it was to do with the diet, but will see what the next one is like.

I remember hearing a long time ago that a lot of oestrogen is stored in body fat, and as you lose weight, this is released and can affect your periods. I have no idea how true or not this may be, maybe someone out there has some medical knowledge???

If anyone can help, I'd be interested to know too.

Thanks for that Carole - I shall ask one of the doctors at work tonight but it makes sense to me - I'll let you know x

Back