Duration of exercise

Gemma

Gold Member
I have just got the Wii fitness coach, and am doing it either 2 or 3 times a day in 15 minute durations, I can feel its working but am concerned that by breaking the exercise up I am not getting the full benefit. If it matters I am doing either 1 or 2 toning sessions and 1 cardio. Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Well, any cardio and toning is better than none, so good you're on your Wii Fit but I've always understood that in order to get the benefit of cardio exercise (increased cv fitness, fat loss, etc) you need to do it at a medium to higher intensity for at least 20 minutes at a go. I do at least 60 minutes of cardio 5 to 6 times a week, by doing that much at a fairly high intensity I've gotten a lot of benefit, plus it keeps my metabolism up during the rest of the day.

I'd say it also depends on your goals.

Even 10-minute bursts of exercise can be beneficial. Keep it up. One 30-60 minute session would be better, but two or three 10-15 minute sessions over the course of the day are still great if you can't fit in the longer session all in one go.

I think if your fitness levels are low, you have to break the sessions up...as you get fitter then you can go on for longer...I can do 2.5 hours at a stretch now if I need to...I need to build my stamina and endurance up even at this level of fitness so I can go for longer...

Little steps...before I could go our for a run without thinking about it, I used to run from lampost to lampost...run, walk, run walk...and in the gym I used to go for shorter spurts and then build them up, raise the weights in weight training...the better you get the more you can do...

Again little steps, even ten minutes here and there is fine, just up the intensity for those ten minutes...even walking gets you fitter...obvioulsy longer stretches as walking is low intensity...just walk faster for periods then slow down again, speed up again, etc...

I know many many people who mix and match workouts...I do weights and cardio and it works out fine for me...

Good luck!

Back