Early start to NY resolution - want to join me?

It's good to see new posters. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.And great to have experienced exercisers who we can get advice from.
Just done my workout from TBL. I can hardly type cos my biceps are quivering! It was the yoga at the end that did for them! 39 mins with the warm up and cool down. I cannot believe I'm doing it nearly every day!

Well, so much for joining on here! I've done no exercise today. Got up about 930, tidied up, had breakie etc and got called to work for 2pm so just had lunch and went. For dinner I had 2 big bags of crisps oops! I'm a nurse though so I'm on my feet at work a lot. I think I should get one of those step counter thingies, does anyone know where to get them?

x

Hey Klizw, you can get a pedometer at any sport shop I think but probably in the likes of Boots too. I was actully thinking of dusting mine off as it really does make you more aware of how much/little you are walking! Don't worry if you have an off day, as long as you start again the next day I don't think it counts. :)

Juidimac you were totally loving EA Sports before - is the biggest loser really that much better? You are going to get me spending more money I can see!

How are you doing cateka? Did you manage your long run today? We have got hurricane force winds up here just now so I went to the gym instead of chancing it outside!

MinnieMel, Keepthefaith and Clairex how are you all doing? Have you been gym-ing or Wii-ing it? x

Oh SL I get obsessed with things! I have a rest day today but I'm getting twitchy! I think it's because it's new and I have the stiff muscles again. Having said that I do feel it's working me more than EASA. And lets face it at a tenner it just has to be worth it!

Hi SLL and others -- I've been using my DSLite Personal Fitness Coach: Walking each day -- and have met my target set my the device. But, what I really need to to go is up the target to something that is actually fitness valuable. I also bought some Sketchers Shape Ups. I am starting at the gym on Tuesday and will wear the shape ups on the treadmill (walking) and also do some weights. (As I promised someone I'd meet them -- I know I'll go.)

So to answer your question -- I am hanging in there -- reading the thread and hoping to get motivated and moving.

MM

Woo hoo MinnieMel! If you are walking every day and meeting your target you are doing more than most folk so well done. I went to the gym this evening and I am meeting a friend there tomorrow night. Countdown to get into a dress for the fire festival has well and truly started! Oh and I completely agree about making a date with someone else to ensure you go to the gym. It's funny how letting down someone else is so much harder to do than letting yourself down . . .

My EA Sports has dried up for now Judimac but I was getting stressed out if I was missing it and I enjoy doing other stuff too so sometimes I couldn't get the workout fitted in. Think I'm going to skip the 30 day challenge and just choose a solo workout when I go on it, using it as part of a wider fitness routine when I can't/don't want to get to the gym/go for a run. That's the new plan anyway. Some kind of exercise every day, no matter what type.

Got an exercise class tomorrow then going to meet my friend in the gym afterwards so will let you know if I manage! Good luck everyone else x

P.S. How was the hol Beccy?

Hi Ladies -- After "meeting my target" for 7 days in a row -- I was asked to up my target. So, my target is up by a 1,000 steps a day. It may be sometime before I am walking in circles in the house trying to meet my goal (as my friend is when is short of steps) -- but now I know I have to get in at least one good dog walk to hit my target. My dog is sooooo happy! LOL

MM

I am definitey going to have to get the pedometer out I reckon! Go MM!

I did gym tonight but was in a bad mood because I had planned to do two exercise classes at 5.30 til 7.30 then head home to get stuff done and then relax. Classes booked out and gym packed so I ended up going home in a huff and going back to gym at 9.30 when a friend finished work so we could go together. Thank goodness I organised to meet her or I would never have got out the door again!

Hope everyone else has had a good day. Keep us posted - especially if it was a bad day so that we can motivate each other for the next day!

Talk tomorrow (meeting after work so missing the gym classes - will have to rely on motivation and this forum to get me out the door again!)

Last edited:
Hi SL --
Can you book in advance? You can at our local leisure centre -- but you pay if you do not show (seems fair).

I put the other pedometer on the dog for a couple of hours last night -- you can set it up for a dog. And she made her target in less than two hours of wearing it. It tracks her "daily activitiy, too. So, I'll know if she partying down when I am not home!

I went to the gym today -- walked on the treadmill for 20 mins. wearing my Sketchers Shape Ups -- I am loving them. I might a get a pair for home walks, keep one at the gym (clean soles) and wear the gym ones inside the house (unless they make Shape Ups house shoes).

I could not make myself go back to the gym at 9:30 -- good for you SL. Total dedication.

MM

love love love that you can put the pedometer on the dog!! that's hiliarous!

Hello again - that was a lot of posts to catch up on so plenty of working out going on! As predicted taking the trainers way was a total waste of time!! However, i only drank vodka and diet coke all weekend, didn't have any starters or deserts, ate breakfast at the apartment every day and asked for no mayo on my tuna toasties...and no chips either. That is seriously restrained for me!! And if all else fails i've caught a bug so only just stepped off the plane before the d&v set in!! So feeling abit sorry for myself under the duvet with 2 sleeping bags on and kidney pains.... so no running club for me tonight...but it could be a good Weigh in tomorrow!! :)

Beccy Babe -- Fingers crossed for a good weigh in -- you're so closed to goal.

MM

Oh no Beccy! Hope you are better soon. Drink lots of fluids (not vodka n cokes though!) and eat what you can to keep your strength up and all that. There is so much rubbish going around just now and I think the change of temperature from going outside to in and vice versa won't help much - especially if it is as big a difference as it is in my house!

Didn't manage any exercise today and feeling very guilty but I was that tired that it woudl have been counterproductive to do it I think. I have managed not to eat any rubbish so I didn't do what I usually do and think I might as well eat loads as I have ruined the day by not exercising!

Got two meetings tomorrow night and lots of work to take home with me too so I just hope that I will manage something tomorrow.

Was also going to say there are a few folk who haven't posted for a while. . . . let us know how you all are and don't worry if you have not managed to keep up with the exercise you decided on in the first few posts. Life happens! As you will see from all my posts . . .

Anyway good luck with healthy eating/exercise/weigh-ins tomorrow and I will talk to you all then :) x

Hi Ladies --

Did the DS lite walking thing and had it on the dog all day. What a laugh that was. When I checked her "daily steps and rythmn" at about 9:30 p.m. last night, I realised that she made her "step target" in the the first 15 minutes she was wearing the pedometer! I let her out first thing for a wee, she saw a cat... and off she went. Ran all over the garden back and forth, sniffing the trail, trying frantically to get out of the garden and presisted for about 15 minutes! She must have racked up 3,000 steps then and there! LOL

Anyway, the dog does not party down when I am not home -- the only time she registers movement worth noting -- is if she is being taken for walk. Guilt has set in -- she used to be lucky to get one walkies a day from our neighbour (when I was working). I am going to start taking her from 8 to 8:15 a.m. for quickie, and then another either late afternoon or evening. (My neighbour takes her at about 10:30.) When the days get longer I'll take her after DD has gone to bed at 8. What I may do for now is take her when DH has gotten home from work (for a 20 min. walk) and he can be with DD. I do not want to take my DD out walking when it is so dark.

I'm off to the gym to try a pilates class, walk on the treadmill and do some arms work.

MM

Last edited:
Yesterday was "weigh in and elimination day" on TBL dvd. First you had to do the weekly challenge , I came second, and then get weighed. I'd lost nothing! My contestant lost 8lbs.
Anyway, today I signed in for my session and it was a 30min full body workout, ONLY! They moved it up from easy to moderate :eek:, which meant 3 circuits instead of 2! I mean , I'm really warm by the end of the 6 minute warmup! I did however manage it! To a chorus of "don't overdo it" from OH. OMG! Did I sweat? Was I gasping for breath? Is there any part of me that doesn't ache? But the old endorphins have kicked in and I feel great! It just goes to show that you don't (if you're like me) push yourself as far as someone else does!

Judimac - you do actually leave me breathless just reading your updates!

I'm def back from the dead today so heading out for a gentle 4 miler....

Amazingly lost a 1.5lbs at WI last night too.... soooo YEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAHHHH!!! My first stone award...my that's been a long time coming!

Happy Thursday evening all! x

Hey Judimac -- I was so sore from the pilates/yoga class that I decided to forgo trying the power pump until Tuesday (next time it is offered). Then, I got busy doing "stuff" and did not do any serious walking (and I had just upped my daily target) so for the first time I missed my goal. Today it is pouring here -- and my dog hates to walk in the rain... so, I am going to have to either go to the gym or get on our elliptical machine to make my steps target. What have we gotten ourselves in to?

MM

Last edited:
Well done on your award becce!

I think that we come on here at least makes sure we do more exercise than if we didn't. I shall make myself "do a bit" today tho I really don't feel like it. I know I'll feel better if I do.

Hello, I've been reading through this thread and wondered if I could join in? You all seem to be so knowledgeable about exercise and I'm just getting back on track so you'd be a massive help!!

Just to fill you in a bit, over the last year I've lost just over 6 stone and now weigh 8.13 (from 15!) I was 8.7 just before Christmas and am aiming for this again as I felt better in myself at this weight. I used to be slim and active up until about 8 years ago when my life just seemed to unravel! Anyway last year I decided enough was enough and here I am now!

I currently do the following:

Mon - 1hr badmington followed by 20-30 mins on the rowing machine or treadmill
Tues - 3 hr (10-12miles) hill walking
Wed - 1hr aerobics followed by 1hr body pump
Thurs - rest day (work a double shift - 12 hrs so no time!)
Fri - 1 hr either circuit training or gym
Sat - rest day
Sun - 3 mile run (road)

I'm hoping to increase the Sunday run to 4 days a week as I'm trying to build up my endurance for a 10k race in June (maybe;) ) I always run before breakfast but the other activities are done in the evening except for the walking!

I'd love to hear your comments on this regime. Do you think I could lose that extra half stone on this workout? I'm obviously watching what I eat but am not dieting hard like I was if you know what I mean!!

What a fantastic weightloss! So impressed! Now do you feel you really need to lose the extra weight? I know I am currently at least a stone above my goal, but my exercising has got me down to my original measurements, which is kyboshing my motivation! I would be guided by your size rather than your weight.
I would also have 2 rest days a week , but I would bow to expert advice.
Oh and YES we love new contributors! It's never too late to join us!
Oh and mea culpa, I'm sitting here with a glass of red wine having done nothing ! Sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and the rep judimac! I really do want to lose those 7lbs , yes! BUT I'm not bothered if it's a slow process which I've a feeling it might be! The problem is that my work life from now until the spring is pretty quiet and sedentary so I'm not as active as I am from the spring up until Christmas. I know the exercise makes up for it but during the day I just feel sluggish. I've a feeling that come the spring those pounds will come off pretty easily so if I can just maintain for a few months I'll be just as happy!

Last night I went to the gym instead of circuit training and did 40 mins on the rowing machine at level 6.
still nursing a slightly sore achilles tendon from last week so didn't want to risk it. Hopefully it will be ok on my run tomorrow!

What's everyone else up to today? Nothing for me - it's a rest day!

Back