EGGS

trw1972

Just wondering what peoples views on eggs are?

I probably eat 25-30 eggs a week right now, i have 3 with my breakfast in the week, and ill make a big omlette from 5 or 6 at the weekend.

Calorie wise its not as bad as it sounds, 3 eggs is 270 calories and it really keeps me full...eggs have really helped me lose weight!.

But lots of people always tell me they are bad bad bad because of the fat and cholesterol.

Ive tried looking up research but it seems conflicting, one says they are good and not dangerous, then the next will say 4 a week is a max...

So what about you? Do you eat eggs regularly? Do you view them as healthy?

I eat probably 5-15 a week, depending on what i feel like eating that week. I often have them as scrambled egg for breakfast, poached for dinner and what-not - personally i see them as a rather healthy option, but i imagine i'd get bored of them before they ever became any sort of health hazard :p

As far as I know the connection between eggs and high cholesterol has been disproved except for people with familial hyperlipedemia - the hereditary type of raised cholesterol.

That is true - there is no link between eggs and high cholesterol however some people do find they get 'bunged up' if they eat too many, and 30 is rather a lot. it would be better to have some variety in what you are eating.

Thanks for the responses, i too thought they were now considered fine but read a couple of articles recently claiming 4-6 was a recommended weekly maximum

As for variety, there is dont worry ;) oats, veg of all types, turkey, chicken, quorn etc all make up part of my diet ;)

I eat quite a few eggs during the week as Im low-carbing :)

Most of my breakfasts consist of scrambled eggs on their own (1 yolk, three whites)

Works for me - keeps me full X

I eat probably 6-8 a week and think they're good but do try to have more egg whites than whole eggs because of the fat and cholesterol in them

I have 2 eggs everyday for breakfast and perhaps a few more in other meals. There is no research that proves a link between dietary cholesterol and body impact it's all speculation. All recommendations are on the basis of everything in moderation! As long as you are getting plenty of other good veg, protein and fats - sounds good to me:D

Um, silly question but what do you do with the extra yolks? Throw them away, or do you have other uses? I know you can freeze the egg whites (I think I know that!) but can you freeze yolks?

I don't know. I sometimes keep them if I know my mum is going to make custard in the next day or two, otherwise I just throw them away.

I have 2 each day for breakfast (hubby makes the best poached eggs!). They keep me full until lunchtime, not like cereal, which only lasts a couple of hours. The times I've had to get rid of the yolks, I give them to my dog!

..... coincidence - just read this in a recent fitness mag under 5 foods to boost your metabolism:

Want to keep hunger pangs at bay? Include eggs in your diet to help stabilise your blood-sugar levels. Eggs offer some of the highest quality protein available, which requires extra calories to digest. This means your metabolism increases while you are eating them. They are also high in Vitamin B12, making you feel fuller for longer.

Back