Ellie's fitness diary (start 10.11.2008) Marathon training...

Aha! I knew you'd end up adjusting your diet! Best to fuel up in the right way, I think we're both getting there, nex, which is a world away from the bad eating I was doing before.

Your octathalon (sp?) sounds grueling, great to have such an ambitious goal! I don't think I could hack it, a few things too much for me, but I sure as heck admire you for doing it. I've got to say, that word makes me think of an octopus, doing pull-ups with one arm, rowing with one, bench press with one...etc...:8855: I do think enthusiasm, dedication and desire is a large part of it, just like it is with losing weight. I mean, if you're not absolutely serious about accomplising it, you're not going to get there, really. My OH starts a lot of stuff (including crappy DIY around the house :sigh: ) and doesn't finish it, because he's not focused on the end result.

Anyhow, good to hear you had a great workout today, nex, you're an inspiration!

PS. Do you like being called nex, or do you prefer Ellie?

I think we're both getting there, nex, which is a world away from the bad eating I was doing before.

Oh my, isn't it just...

Your octathalon (sp?) sounds grueling, great to have such an ambitious goal!

It was gruelling, and is, it's the run that does me in the most though, the row I could've pushed harder on, but everything else was pretty okay, apart from the last 10 shoulder presses...it got down to the last five and man I had to push with all my might (red in the face stuff)...body was so tired and full of lactic acid.

Anyhow, good to hear you had a great workout today, nex, you're an inspiration!

Aw thanks...this whole site is pretty awesome...

PS. Do you like being called nex, or do you prefer Ellie?

I don't mind, whichever is easier to type and I have a feeling nex might just be by a hair or should I say letter...

Thurs 26th Feb

It's colder today, feeling the cold this week even though we has that mild spell not long back...thought spring was here for a minute! Did a 10 minute full on circuit session at the gym (they give you a token for a free tea or coffee if you do the morning workshops!) and then did some weights (arms and shoulders) and then did my 7500m row and then rode on the stationary bike for 15 minutes, keeping speed right up there and then standing with resistance right up for a minute or so a few times...phew! Also ran to the gym from kids' school...

Tired today, usual Thursday slumpy thing...

Had a lie in this morn as yesterday was a toughie in the gym...everyone said I would be feeling it today...er...feeling what exactly? I rowed 13 000m in an hour and then went straight into spin class for 45 minutes...I was buzzing! I think I had about 5 endorphin rushes during the row and for my last 5 minutes a guy from spin sat next to me and I used him as pacer, so glad when men row properly and sit next to me it helps me keep my speed and strength up...I even managed a sprint for the last 500 m, so ended as fast as I started! 2 minute split...wheee! I felt fab this morning...legs a little niggly, but nothing major...my back did complain a bit yesterday because of my posture on the rower, will have to watch that I tip my pelvis forward and keep my lower back in line (I forget to do this during squats and lunges and it doesn't half hurt afterwards!) and sit up straight without slouching too much (hard when you're tired)...

Am so pleased I actually completed 13km at a stretch, I now know that the marathon distance is getting nearer and nearer to something that I can complete with the right mindset and training...I'm sure I can do it...it feels good to be accomplishing something...not that I wasn't before, but it certainly is improving my lung capacity for running on the road...and my cough is just about gone, still niggles every now and again (as does my personal trainer's I have noticed) but it's not bothering me as much as it was.

Next phase is getting used to my new food/diet/nutrition plan...seems that I have been flying this week with the changes already and have noticed my muscles are becoming more defined already. I've upped the protein and am doing a carb up or refeed or break from the high protein every weekend. So far so good...keeping fingers crossed because I find getting the energy balance right quite hard...

I can imagine it's hard getting the balance right, nex, but it sounds like you're getting there. I think a lot of books and websites, etc, have tons of advice, but diet is really an individual thing, especially when you're balancing performance with other requirements, like you are. I"m lucky I"m just trying to eat healthy! Sounds like you're getting some great workouts under your belt, getting nearer and nearer your goal!

Wednesday 4th March

I've been slacking on the diary front, which isn't great as I want to keep a semi-record, at least, of my progress! So I'll include Monday to Wednesday in this one...oops!

Monday was an awesome workout: hill running pre-gym - four times up and down this wicked local hill, then some abs and weights (legs) and then 7000m row, pretty good pace. Had an hour session with Kane the gym instructor and we ran through the octathalon (boo did the same time exactly as last time! 15 minutes 50 secs) and also did some killer supersets (shoulder work), lat raises and front raises combined. Also did the arnold presses and they are awesome, really hurt the whole shoulder area. So my shoulders were well worked after all that and I recall my legs really burning at one stage.

Tuesday was a bit of a relaxing session. Shoulders and whole body aching nicely this morning. Did the 9 a.m. workshop with Kane and we did boxing, pressups and squats with weights as a circuit. Ran through three times I think roughly. Then some planks. Did my 5000m row at not as good as I could've pace and then called it a day as pretty tired today...

Wednesday was completely, amazingly, aboslutely freaking fantastic!!! Am still buzzing! Wheee! Did the 9 a.m. workshop with Lewis and we did major ab work (gym ball crunches, side planks, front planks, floor crunches with the ball, etc - 7 different abdominal exercises three times through), then I went straight to spin for 45 mins and then had half an hour's break (to neck some coffee, a protein bar and some energy tablets) before the killer octathalon training session for an hour...It had me tired, endorphinated, sweating, swearing, laughing, enjoying, pushing myself harder than I have before I think and so many other things in one. I have to say I have had killer sessions, but this one was the BEST by far, so far. We did five of the eight sections of the octathalon - bike, row, sit ups, step ups and bench/chest press. There were five of us there and three personal trainers. Nice to see another woman there (Becky the runner was there, but that was to be expected as she does all the challenges with me), so I now officially have competition for the women's cup course, which is the heavier weights and more sit ups than the club course. Whoo!

Warmed up for 2 minutes on the bike at level 3 then 2 minutes on the rower damper level 10 (by warm up I mean sprinting as fast as we could manage) then we did a minute on level 6 as hard as we could go on the bike and an even harder sprint on the rower for a minute also. We then did step ups (two box steps on top of one another) with 6kg dumbells for a minute then sit ups for a minute (as fast as we could go) and we repeated this 3 times. Then we did a minute on the rower then a minute doing bench presses with 20kg three times through. I think we had a two minute break or so to catch out breaths as we did not break between the sections except to change with our partners. Then we ran through the whole thing without the bike section as hard as we could of each of the aforementioned exercises a minute each. We might have done more stuff, but I cannot recall, I just know we were all sweating, breathless and really enjoying it!

And then we did the most amazing stretches, with our partner's body weight pushing our legs and pulling them up for the quads. By the end of it I felt like I was ready to go again, all the lactic acid was gone. The run through and the stretches helped with this.

THEN I did my 7000m row in a really good time (pace was up there all the way through today) and even managed to sprint the last 500m (I had Vito the tough man champion rowing next to me as pacer, he is AWESOME!) Then I managed to run half way home and then decided to walk. The weather was great (sun sun sun) until this avo when it sleeted about 3.30.

I always say if there is energy left to sprint after a long row and to jog home, I have done well.

SMILING big time now. Yes those goals are getting closer. Even looking for 5km runs and 10km (Bristol 10k in May after the octathalon) runs to do between now and the half marathon in September (the main one will be the race for life in July most likely). There are also training workshops every month to prepare for the half marathon...

Whoa, killer...superwoman for sure! :worthy: If I were younger I'd give you a run for your money, nex, heh heh!!

Sounds terrific, you are really psyched up for it, which is a large part of it, isn't it? Just keep going from strength to strength; the buzz you get from doing healthy and fun stuff, plus the sense of accomplishment, makes it worth it, I think! I really admire your drive, you go, girl!!

Thursday 5th March
Today was a bit of a rest-ish...wasn't tired today from yesterday, got plenty of sleep, BUT just eased off as want to be able to complete the 12000m row tomorrow and do a few other things. So today was a cardio based 9 a.m. workshop (two circuits of 7 things as fast as you could manage - leg raises, side steps off a box step, sprinting between two markers, rowing for a minute, biking for a minute, double steps on and off a box step and boxing with 3kg dumbells) It was fun and worked up a sweat and warmed up for weights (shoulders and back) and 5000m row. Wasn't a fantastic pace for the row, but pleased I finished, wasn't so sure I would at one point, oops!

Have found a masseur, who has just started at the gym as a personal trainer, his history is fascinating, spent ages yesterday chatting to him. Yeah, it's a he and the beau said as long as he doesn't know who it is (the other possibilities were also guys at the gym who were both qualified in massage. One was my personal trainer and the other was one of the management team), he is fine with that...hmmm...so will call the chap when I feel the need. At the moment feeling pretty loose and calm and de-stressed. Those stretches yesterday were magic...just have to say that again, I really really liked them!

Tonight I am going to do some sit-ups in one minute intervals to build up stamina and endurance for the octathalon. Although I can bang 60 straight out, I want to be able to do them a lot quicker. My partner yesterday was a sit-up machine, boy could she pump them out! Anyway, feeling endorphinated, a little on the shaky side today (too much caffeine I'll warrant, as had a mega big black coffee with whipped cream on the top mmmmm)

Roll on tomorrow and then the weekend. Am looking forward to my two days off and also carbing up Saturday night and Sunday again. Have got loads of healthy options just for that purpose, all stashed away. YUMMY! The body fat percentage is dropping already...slowly does it, I think again I need to watch the balance, all this heavy training, although not heavy each day is burning off the calories pretty fast and furiously. I am also slightly dehydrated today despite drinking over two litres already today and drinking 5 litres yesterday, so that will have to be watched carefully too, might explain the drop in performance on the rower today...

If I were younger I'd give you a run for your money, nex, heh heh!!

I bet you would, even now, I reckon you would...

It was good yesterday to see that there were four over 30s (one bloke is 50) there and according to the personal trainers, we were the fittest team they had trained in the octathalon so far. I was just saying to someone the other day that the people over 25 seem to be some of the fittest folks nowadays (which is a grand generalisation) but if you look at the gym population, I reckon it is true. The tough man is over 30 too...go us!!!

The gray panthers!

Great you found some masseuse resources. I really missed mine the past couple of weeks. I'm going again this afternoon, I'm so sore (calves and left trap in particular) I think I need another pounding!

Friday 6th Feb

Thank freak it is Friday! I did my 12000m row, pretty good pace, went to the dentist then went back to do spin class...too pooped to even jog home or to the gym today...

Oh no, it seems I am favourite to win the octathalon (who the heck is betting on this thing?)...motivation? Encouragement? I'll take is as a positive thing, will defo make me train harder, especially for the 400m 10% incline run...

This weekend I am sitting down and printing out a week schedule for the gym as I seem to be all over the place lately. The training is paying off but I don't seem to have a system like I used to and I want to make the most of the time and the alternate days...fitting weight training in is becoming a schlep...but I am going to do it! Am working in a glute workout for a few weeks as I need to work on my flabby ass...

Have a great weekend everyone! I know I am, I am gonna rest, it's curry night tomorrow (beau going out with work colleagues tonight) and carb up days tomorrow and Sunday...yippee!!! Mmmmm I see dark choccie on the menu...

Sunday 8th March
I feel pooey...sore everything and chesty cough back...feel weak and tired and think I might just have the runs to to it all off...

ARGH!

Oh no! Make sure and get some good rest, nex, can you get some chicken soup? That cures almost everything! Maybe you're just really pushing yourself so hard your body is asking for some rest? Hope you can have a mellow, restful day and feel better!

Yes, I have Thai chicken soup, thanks for reminding me, it isn't spicy (just mild and coconutty mmmm) so will do the trick nicely, chunky bits o' chicken too...

I think it is a combo of the virus (I have an itchy ear canal and cannot hear properly out of my left ear too) and maybe a bit of overtraining...whoops! I think I have been overdoing it a bit, as I have in between totm bleeding...this tends to happen when my hormones go HALP! HALP! But will also take a trip to the docs just to make sure there is nothing more sinister occuring, tomorrow.

How are you feeling today? Maybe you need to look closer at your diet, since you're training so hard, you may need to up your nutrients some, make sure you're getting those good anti-oxidents and those omegas, and plenty vitamins!

I have tonnes of energy today, although my shins are hurting and my nose is runny...other than that a wicked workout (later than usual because I had doc's appointment and other things to sort out this morning before I got jiggy in the gym)

Ran through the octathalon in 15 mins 58 secs (considering I was ill just yesterday and I was lifting heavier today on two sets I don't feel bad about the time, 8 secs more than the last two, PLUS I ran all the way without slowing to a walk on the treadmill: improvement there!) Did some ab work (must get and do some sit ups and pressups tonight as well as set out my training for the week, man forgot that the weekend AGAIN!) Then did a 5000m row in 23 mins 30...was chuffed as was in the zone and it was a really good, comfortable row...even had Jules, the new personal trainer (who I am contacting to do my massages soon) watching my technique (he was egging me on when I was sprinting on the rower the other day in a circuit class). All in all am happy and don't feel too tired this avo, tummy a bit grumbly again though oops!

Also some somewhat interesting developments with regards to my ex husband...we were not on talking terms at first (divorced 5 years ago) and began to chat a bit last year...now he is asking for training tips, which is really funny cos he was the one I was asking for training tips all the way back when we first met (1997ish)...he is a runner...anyway I was just giggling at the way things turn out...I don't have feelings for him and he has since remarried...just had to qualify that...heh! He is also passing on some unused protein and electrolyte supplements that he doesn't get along with...whoo!

Good work today then well done you just keep at it. Try and keep that focus as long as you can. I went boxing again tonight. An hour and half of pain and my trainner just reminds me of MR T "shut up fool and keep going" lol. Good work thou.

Good work today then well done you just keep at it. Try and keep that focus as long as you can. I went boxing again tonight. An hour and half of pain and my trainner just reminds me of MR T "shut up fool and keep going" lol. Good work thou.

I like it when they slave drive, makes me work harder...I still moan sometimes (oh he is such a meany!), but then my PT reminds me that if we chatted and he made it easy for me, the results would not show...indeed!

No pain no gain? Well, not pain, but sweat, discomfort and out of breathness for sure...

I always find I push myself more when working out with other people. I find going to the gym on my own useless thats why I like team sports. Boxing helps but your always being pushed by the person on the next bag (when your trying to keep at there pace) or when in the ring its you or them sort of thing. So you have to push your self and if your not to there level you have to push more to ensure that you laying on the floor. :D

Quailty work though and keep at it.

Back