Ellie's fitness diary (start 10.11.2008) Marathon training...

...that's all insane!!!!

Go for it, Nex!! I'm getting an endorphin high just reading about it, lol!

Wednesday 4th Feb
Did 45 mins spin and was soaking with sweat when I came out. Had protein shake and half hour rest to recover and then did 5000m in 22mins 40 secs. Just a second extra from last time I did this distance. Am really really really tired today, have that after swim tired feeling...hmmm...also did some weighted leg circuits and 10 full pull ups (not straight off though, a break between two sets of five)...will probably do some sit ups and press ups later just to tide me over and keep the arms and tummy strong for the next gym challenge in three and a half weeks (am I crazy?!?!?)

Will probably collapse instead of watching the film me and the beau were supposed to tonight, am so ready to sleep right now...

Wednesday 4th Feb
Did 45 mins spin and was soaking with sweat when I came out. Had protein shake and half hour rest to recover and then did 5000m in 22mins 40 secs. Just a second extra from last time I did this distance. Am really really really tired today, have that after swim tired feeling...hmmm...also did some weighted leg circuits and 10 full pull ups (not straight off though, a break between two sets of five)...will probably do some sit ups and press ups later just to tide me over and keep the arms and tummy strong for the next gym challenge in three and a half weeks (am I crazy?!?!?)

Will probably collapse instead of watching the film me and the beau were supposed to tonight, am so ready to sleep right now...

I'm ready for a sleep just reading it!!!!

Saturday 7th Feb.
Am going to see the doctor for the third time in three months about my chesty cough. Still coughing, really badly this morning and spitting up phlegm which is still bright green...where is it coming from? And why am I still coughing?! Blah! Have decided as will more than likely be put on anti-biotics that this week am taking the week out from physical exercise apart from walking to and from the kids' school...and perhaps cycling to town and stuff...sooo...this week am going to take drastic steps at fat loss as a consequence...have been trying to no avail to shift the last six or so pounds for more muscle definition. Might have to make it six more to take me to my minimum weight (8 stone 7 pounds is the minimum I am prepared to get down to in order to get the look I require, etc) BUT for now am aiming for the 9 stone mark...which previously has had me at size 10, I am size 10 at 10 stone now, so the clothes might need to go down a size or two by the time I get to ultimate goal...if I like it I will maintain and maybe improve muscle bulk...if I don't like it then I will just keep doing what I have been doing and begin marathon training again next week.

So the ins and outs of the 'drastic' fat cutting phase (max two weeks) will be a high protein, high fat diet which calorie wise has to be between 1000 and 1200 a day. Yep, it's boring, yep I might even feel sick a bit...but it has worked before and here it is:
5 days , 5 meals - 30g macadamia nuts, 60g cream cheese, 60ml sour cream with 30g tuna, 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon mayo, 60g pate
2 days, 4 meals - 2 scrambled eggs with 2 strips bacon, 40g macadamia nuts, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 90g pate.

Can mix and match a few other things I have seen, so I don't get too bored, but that is the basics and I should cut the fat pretty fast. Details to follow if I stick it out (am getting used to my 8 meals a day now!) Am hoping this gets me off the plateau and into the definition fingers crossed...can only but try.

Hey Nex, sorry your cough is hanging on. I don't want to be presumptuous or anything, but I really think you should hold off on any drastic diet stuff and just try to eat healthy until you can shift the chest infection or whatever it is. That way your body can devote it's energy to healing. If you mess around with your diet and nutrition right now, with the strain of the infection, you might do yourself more harm than good. I do think you're right to hold off on the hard cardio, tho, don't put any more stress on your system until you can kick this bug!!

Oh...the cough...it still is with me, but not as bad and really not feeling the tiredness now. Have spoken to two people who had the same virus and they took antibiotics and guess what? They still ahve the cough, so I decided to wait it out a bit longer, well, as long as it takes to go really, as nothing seems to hit this thing...my beau is feeling manky lately and I reckon it is the virus still hanging about in his system too...it's a real evil one...but I am feeling fab lately...

I went to the gym every day this week, mostly did cardio, had a KILLER session with my personal trainer Tuesday...it was really really good! AM trying to get my cardio up there. And have managed a fair wack...2 solid hours today, half hour running on the road, 47 minutes rowing and 45 minutes of spin...I am wrecked but feel really good and the row was awesome as I just rowed and rowed without the usual fatigue or wanting to quit at certain points, I was string throughout and reckon that I could've managed at least another 2500 or even 5000m on top of the 10000m I rowed today. I was buzzing...

Thursday was very slumpy though, I had ZERO energy and zero drive so just pootled about the gym. Worked my legs hard though with the usual leg machines and some heavy squats and lunges.

Am planning to do the gym octathlon May...the next gym challenge is too soon as it is next Friday...bah to that! The kids are off on half term too.

Went out last night with beau and it was a good night. An indie cinema with Inuit throat singer and Indie label artists...all fabby, but the jazzy trio were my fave...we must get out more, our relationship is suffering a bit...plus my libido seems to have been adversely affected by the virus and I just don't have the urge...from being a testosterone fuelled animal at the second half of last year, I have become a frigid and aloof witch this year...oh well, I cannot make things happen that don't want to...well I do but...it is there my libido, but it seems to be ultra sensitive lately....just a slight something and poof, the fire is out...heh!

Oh...have been wondering if I am not being a little too ambitious with regards to challenges this year...want to do the 5km Race for Life in June, then do my own rowing marathon in July...then we have the Bristol half marathon in September...I wonder if my body will take it? I reckon it will, but will have to watch food, recovery and hydration, etc...isotonics, recovery drinks, and general nutrition levels...just messing with what I was doing this week really pooped me out Thursday and Wednesday...so carb levels are back up there due to extreme fatique with the ketogenic diet trial...losing fat is NOT the answer when training hard, especially when I am burning on average 1000 calories per hour...out of interest I looked at the calories I was burning instead of just looking at the time and the split, etc...blimey...probably not as much as a lot of peeps, but man it did make me see why I was feeling so tired the last few months...

Yeah, if you're burning that much, Nex, you really need to up your carbs, I think. I believe there's a huge nutrition difference between trying to get cut for bodybuilding etc and eating for exercise and performance. Maybe you should make an appointment with a sports nutritionist and really have a good discussion with a professional about it so you get the best "bang for the buck" from what you're eating?

It's hard getting the balance just right sometimes...overload on carbs and I feel just as terrible as if I have too little...I slump and want to sleep...may just have to seriously talk to my personal trainer (he used to run marathons, etc) about the nutritional side of things. I guess wanting it all is not going to work. I cannot be cut, fit, fast, strong and also be able to go for hours at a time cardio wise...maybe I can and it takes time again to get there...I've seen endurance athletes who aren't all skinny and stuff, so it does happen...maybe my genetics isn't allowing me it all? Funny thing too, I seem to be built like a sprinter (more muscle mass) yet I can row and cycle for long periods...running is another matter and this is where I need to get my act together. I like running once I get into that rhythmn...but it can be a struggle to keep going especially at faster speeds.

Anyway rambling...not much gym happening this week as it is half term. Will keep up the press ups and pull ups and sit ups in the meantime though and perhaps some sneaky plyometrics and stair work too (7 flights is a good workout I suppose)

Well, I think you're deff right:

maybe I can and it takes time again to get there

I think it's most likely a long process, I"m sure genetics and basic build have a lot to do with it as well. But I'm sure with good nutritional planning and coming up with a workout strategy that will help you reach your goals as well as fit into your life (kids, etc!) you'll get there! I mean, really, the mental aspects are a big part of the battle -- power of positive thought etc!

Yeah I'm trying to stay positive and everyone comments on how positive and how driven I am...also how much I seem to enjoy the gym...it's the same old story, I want things to happen now (even though I know it all takes time, it's taken me since April last yer to get to where I am now and it's a huge improvement!)...and that is just not possible...so patience and lots of reading, listening to experts and more fun experiments in the meantime.

Am not going to the gym even though my eldest is off at the cinema with mates and youngest has gone off someplace with my boyfriend so I could get exercising...I just need to rest today. Will do the pressups and stuff but no major cardio until next week when I get back to rowing...looking forward to that!

Tuesday 17th Feb
My boyfriend made a comment this morning. It didn't make me feel good. He has made a similar comment before and I took it the wrong way the first time. I didn't know how to react this time. He said he was glad I am eating what I am eating as I am putting on weight...um...my goal isn't to put on fat or weight as he puts it, he knows I want to lean out and also get fitter, faster and stronger. He knows that I think lean and toned and muscley looks nice to me and it seems to suit my body better. Yet he sends out this male reverse psychology thing...now I know I overanalyse stuff and I think that because he cannot be as arsed in the gym, he expects me to change my goals...well he doesn't expect it, but with comments like that I don't know what I am supposed to think or do...other than what I want for the reasons I want to.

I replied that I am not putting on weight, I am filling up my glycogen reserves (which often makes the body seem more bulky/full of water, etc?!) ready for the row when the kids return to school. Yeah the scales tell me I weigh more than I did last week, but it doesn't scare me and my clothes certainly aren't getting tighter...

I don't know...I'm not doing this for him, I'm doing this for me...if he doesn't like me leaner then hey...that's not my problem, this is something I have wanted to do for years...

BAH!

Maybe it's a bit of jealousy or sabotage going on; my OH does that as well. Sometimes I don't even know if it's conscious! I am very careful with my food, and then he'll want to go out for a calorific curry and will bug me about it. I just try not to pay attention, I try not to criticise when he's eating crap, and I know I'm doing my thing for myself!

Keep your chin up, Nex, you're doing all the right things and you know it. :whacky068:

Wednesday 25th Feb

Whoosh! GREAT day today...did 45 mins spin then had a half hour rest and had an hour with personal trainer...we ran through the octathalon and I did it in 15 minutes something or other didn't know whether he said 15 or 50, have a feeling it was 15 as I was almost done when he said 15 minutes...on track...no idea if I have times to compare to as I am lifting the heavier weights and doing more sit ups than the other women who are training for the event...will ask J when I see him tomorrow or Friday and check if I booked my session with him for two weeks and not next week...I was pouring with sweat whilst on the gym ball, don't know where it was all coming from!

So finished at the gym at 12 (9.30 start) and was well and truly knackered...it's the treadmill run at 10% incline, what a ba****d!!! Also ran to the gym and back...so a couple of miles in there too. Pleased...very...rowing tomorrow and some weights and abs...I was sooo wobbly on the gym ball today...moving up the degrees of difficulty is hilarious...well the consequences are...hit myself on the nose twice doing lat pull downs and shoulder presses...doh!

The octathalon run down is this:

Bike - 1km
Lat pull downs - 40 reps with 30kg
Step ups (two of the box steps on top of each other) - 50 reps with 5kg
Sit ups - 60
Row - 500m
Bench press - 40 reps with 20kg
Run - 400m at 10% incline
Shoulder press - 40 reps with 15kg

Bearing in mind we have to run from machine to machine round the gym (this adds time bah!), think I did okayish...ish...will ask J if this is what I did cos I swear some of the weights were heavier...hmmm...

Mate how do you stay so focussed. And well done by the way you sound like your super human :D

Um, I do get asked that a lot and half of it with me is that I actually enjoy physically pushing myself (I enjoy pushing myself mentally too, but this is about fitness and exercise)...I look forward to my next session with my personal trainer and I also look forward to my little runs in the morning before and after the gym (use them to warm up and cool down). The other half is just determination, I guess.

I lost the weight I wanted and then found new and more exciting goals...fitter, faster, stronger and leaner has been my motto/mantra since April last year. It still stands and if I can see improvements and I can run further, or row further or have the resistance up even higher in spin class, then I am happy...if I can lift heavier I am just as happy...when I see those abs showing through, I will be even happier, but for now, it's this and that and a lot of experimenting, reading and research...but I find it fun which some cannot quite get to grips with (my boyfriend being one of those people).

About being super human, hmmm...and thanks! There are far more worthy folks out there though, some peeps at the gym I frequent and even one of my heroes of the moment Dean Karnazes. Now he is super human, or at least has the drive and determination of someone almost possessed!

I suppose exercise has now taken the place of my food demons...a healthier addiction? Well, I would say yes in this case as I am not overly obsessed (I do know true obsession as I have suffered with eating disorders since I was 17 and my thinking just isn't in the same category/gear as it was)...obsessed enough, though, to get the label obsessed from the average gym goer...

You're free to ask anything about losing weight, exercise, etc...

Note to self: must eat more as training getting hectic and just know might burn out by end of the week...talked to J about how he manages to do three training sessions in one day and he says it's cos he eats loads...yeah, I keep forgetting this and also sometimes I just ain't hungry...so eat even if not hungry to make up for calorie deficit...isn't that strange...now I have to make up the calories and not minus them off...feels kinda groovy actually...

Back