Energy Drinks - teenagers

JackieN

One day at a time, one step at a time
I am interested in other peoples thoughts on this. Maybe I over react. hate to see school kids buying these... I found an empty bottle in my sons room today. I've told them so many times not to buy/ or drink them due to high caffeine content etc etc

They clearly say on the bottles 'not suitable for children' yet the supermarkets are selling them to school kids happily. Or certainly are around here.

As I say maybe an over reaction on my point but I don't like them ad don't want my kids drinking them. I don't feel they should be sold to them in the first place.

I agree, my daughter loves relentless and I realy dont like her having them but she has one when she can.It says on the can not suitable for children so the shops should not be allowed to sell them to children end of. Should be classed under the alcohol section if you ask me :)

So glad someone feels the same as me :) Its been a real bugbear of mine for along time but I see more and more 11-17 olds buying them ie in Tesco and Asda. I seem to remember reading of teenagers that had had heart problems from them but couldn't find this research to show them... Ok I know that doesn't happen all the time etc but to me these are not for kids, so shouldnt be sold to them.

I myself don't believe in energy drinkers. They are water with tons of sugar to boost up your energy. Don't let your son suffer from any liver disease because of these drinks. Teach him how to manage his time well, so he can get enough sleep and not rely on these drinks.

I myself don't believe in energy drinkers. They are water with tons of sugar to boost up your energy. Don't let your son suffer from any liver disease because of these drinks. Teach him how to manage his time well, so he can get enough sleep and not rely on these drinks.

Hes only 14 :( he doesn't drink them for the energy he seems to drink them a) others do b) he likes them.... We had another long debate about it today where I went on and on explaining why I didn't like them, why he doesn't need them etc.

I was just really interested in other peoples views as its something I feel strongly about

Just been googling and people have been campaigning for an age restriction for a long time :( you would think by now we would have one. we can try to educate our kids but I also worry about other kids I see buying them. :(

One of my sons' friends buys them all the time. They are so cheap when ie shops own brand and the amount of caffeine is so high.

Hes only 14 :( he doesn't drink them for the energy he seems to drink them a) others do b) he likes them.... We had another long debate about it today where I went on and on explaining why I didn't like them, why he doesn't need them etc.

I was just really interested in other peoples views as its something I feel strongly about

14?? He's too young for that! Uh-oh. Seems like we need a lot of work to be done if he's drinking it because he likes it! At his age, i don't think he will take our explanations. you know, kids nowadays, are smart and they feel like they know what they are doing. Just like my niece. Won't listen to us. She's 16.

Anyway, this is really serious hun. Just try for some alternative drinks that he can take instead of this. Juices perhaps.

I've noticed this too, there is always a group of 14/15 year olds hanging around near the shops. Can of red bull or monster in hand. Makes a change from the larger cans that used to litter same street at least. It's as if it's an alcohol substitute for the under 18's!

I agree that these drinks are not ideal for teenagers. However, neither are 90% of the drinks they can buy. Coke is full of both caffeine & sugar. Ribena is also full of sugar, & prerty much all of them on the market are full of additives.

Its a slightly wider issue i think - anything with caffeine in it should not be sold to under 16's

As he is 14 could you maybe stop his pocket money if he continues to buy them or is he using his own money?

I agree, I don't like to see "kids" drinking these. I see them on the way to school, mostly boys, with a can of this. However, I think there should be more clarity on "not suitable for children" - is this under 18 or under 16? My daughter at 13 would not think of herself as a child (I beg to differ!)

On the other hand though, in comparison (because I don't know) how much caffeine is in these compared to a coffee? Just wondering as my daughter is partial to a Starbucks/Costa latte or mocha and also likes those sachets of latte/mocha too. I restrict her to one a day! Perhaps I am being a bit hypocritical, I wouldn't let her have one of these drinks (if she ever asked) but I let her have a coffee!

When I worked in a shop I refused to sell them to under 16's!

I worked in 2 shops at the same time in a Spar we were told to refuse to sell them anyone under 16 but in a newsagents we were told we could so not entirely sure what the legislation actually is???

14?? He's too young for that! Uh-oh. Seems like we need a lot of work to be done if he's drinking it because he likes it! At his age, i don't think he will take our explanations. you know, kids nowadays, are smart and they feel like they know what they are doing. Just like my niece. Won't listen to us. She's 16.

Anyway, this is really serious hun. Just try for some alternative drinks that he can take instead of this. Juices perhaps.
I have lost count of the conversations we have about this :( I give him what I consider sensible drinks, he or his mates pop in Tesco express on the way to school and buy these, or ASDA... I have of course,told him again, warned him how bad they are..

I've noticed this too, there is always a group of 14/15 year olds hanging around near the shops. Can of red bull or monster in hand. Makes a change from the larger cans that used to litter same street at least. It's as if it's an alcohol substitute for the under 18's!

It certainly does seem to be the new alcohol. My eldest and his mates drink red bull and is it vodka? Again I have warned him that this is a no no, but at nearly 19 more difficult for me to lay the law down

When I worked in a shop I refused to sell them to under 16's!

wish more would do this

I agree that these drinks are not ideal for teenagers. However, neither are 90% of the drinks they can buy. Coke is full of both caffeine & sugar. Ribena is also full of sugar, & prerty much all of them on the market are full of additives.

Its a slightly wider issue i think - anything with caffeine in it should not be sold to under 16's

As he is 14 could you maybe stop his pocket money if he continues to buy them or is he using his own money?

very true ... He seems to be using his school lunch money. I have told him it will be pack ups if I catch him again. He has promised but then his mate drinks 2 or 3 a day ..

I agree, I don't like to see "kids" drinking these. I see them on the way to school, mostly boys, with a can of this. However, I think there should be more clarity on "not suitable for children" - is this under 18 or under 16? My daughter at 13 would not think of herself as a child (I beg to differ!)

On the other hand though, in comparison (because I don't know) how much caffeine is in these compared to a coffee? Just wondering as my daughter is partial to a Starbucks/Costa latte or mocha and also likes those sachets of latte/mocha too. I restrict her to one a day! Perhaps I am being a bit hypocritical, I wouldn't let her have one of these drinks (if she ever asked) but I let her have a coffee!

I believe they have more than coffee. I need to research this as unsure. I just went to recycling box to check the label and hubby has removed and binned said label. I'll look on Tesco website for the caffeine content. To me a child is under 18, but yep to kids I think they feel they are not a child at 13 :)

I worked in 2 shops at the same time in a Spar we were told to refuse to sell them anyone under 16 but in a newsagents we were told we could so not entirely sure what the legislation actually is???

I don't think there is a legislation. I was looking last night.

I am assuming they do have a higher caffeine content than coffee as I seem to remember reading they can be fatal if teens drink too many. :(

I hate these things - they're horrid, and to me, pointless!

Hubby had one of these at work the other day - he doesn't normally drink them, but had just finished playing football and a can of 'relentless' was all that was for sale in the sports centre.

He said he drank half on his way to work, and finished the can once he got there.

In his words, he said he was 'buzzing', he said he felt like he was flying and was high, and that even his colleagues were laughing at him and his behaviour.

For a healthy young(ish) male to have reacted like this, what must they do to our kids? I also just don't see the point in them?

If you're tired, chill out and have an early night??

I agree JackieN, they're not good for kids. How you can go about stopping him though, I'm not sure.

Restrict time on the xBox? grounded?

Sorry i can't help more. xx

I hate these things - they're horrid, and to me, pointless!

Hubby had one of these at work the other day - he doesn't normally drink them, but had just finished playing football and a can of 'relentless' was all that was for sale in the sports centre.

He said he drank half on his way to work, and finished the can once he got there.

In his words, he said he was 'buzzing', he said he felt like he was flying and was high, and that even his colleagues were laughing at him and his behaviour.

For a healthy young(ish) male to have reacted like this, what must they do to our kids? I also just don't see the point in them?

If you're tired, chill out and have an early night??

I agree JackieN, they're not good for kids. How you can go about stopping him though, I'm not sure.

Restrict time on the xBox? grounded?

Sorry i can't help more. xx

Glad not just me that hates them.

He doens't play xbox.. rarely anyway. I've told him I will ground him if I find out again. What concerns me is if he buys them drinks them and throws bottle away. i would never know.

I just hope he remains honest. We have an honestly policy at home and so far hes stuck to it. Bought them up lesser punishment for the truth and god help them if they lie... so far so good. Not perfect but as a rule will own up if asked ;)

Just wish they would ban selling to kids then I wouldn't have this problem

I think the way around it is to send him with packed lunch and make sure that if he has any money that you "look after" it for him. If kids don't go out with money then they can't spend it.
It would be okay if you could trust him with his money but it seems that, at the moment, you can't.

The honesty policy is brilliant, and in that way you at least know he will own up, but it's a shame that he will spend his money on them in the first place.

My daughter doesn't take money to school, never has. I see too many kids queueing outside the shop in a morning for their pop, sweets and crisps for breakfast! I believe she wouldn't buy anything but I don't want to put temptation in her way.

Its not just things like Red bull/Monster/Relentless that are the problem. I see a lot of children drinking two or three bottles of lucozade per day both carbonated and the sports drinks - these cannot be good for them and their performance in the classroom. They invariably have a sugar crash before lunch and can be hyper active after lunch.

Teach him how to manage his time well, so he can get enough sleep and not rely on these drinks.

You clearly don't understand teenagers and how their bodies work and how much sleep they need and how they need to sleep at funny times. It's not as simple as getting 8 hours and waking up feeling fine.

JemmaBe said:
You clearly don't understand teenagers and how their bodies work and how much sleep they need and how they need to sleep at funny times. It's not as simple as getting 8 hours and waking up feeling fine.

Whilst you may be right here there would still be no harm in a bit of time management education - so i don't think its fair to dismiss it out of hand as a suggestion

Back