Erm's Photo Diary

Just used the Pataks mixed pickle in my curry! Flip that stuff tastes sooo good. I could eat the whole jar. I ended up using 2 tbsp which would be 4 syns? But only ate a quarter of the pan. yumm yumm. x

YAY an Ermintrude update!! I did wonder where you were but didn't want to load on the pressure lol! So sorry you were feeling unwell, glad to hear you're feeling better. As usual, your meal looks delicious. I have a pack of prosciutto in the fridge so I may try it!

Just used the Pataks mixed pickle in my curry! Flip that stuff tastes sooo good. I could eat the whole jar. I ended up using 2 tbsp which would be 4 syns? But only ate a quarter of the pan. yumm yumm. x

Awwww I know it's OMGGOOOOOD isn't it?! :eek: :D We used to use it as a dip for the poppadoms but I could get through a whole damn jar for one curry outing... :eek: So we try to limit ourselves to just the curry bit these days :D Arent those little green things diviiiiine? :) Glad you like it anyway :)

How do you make that black bean citrus stew pleasy wease??? xx
Spicy, Citrusy Black Beans Recipe
Serves 3 @ 3 ladles each as a soup - but you could use less and serve it with rice as a chilli con carne stylee

Ingredients
- 500g dried black beans (I used turtle beans but you can use black eyed beans or whatever you fancy) (You can also use tinned beans if you like but obviously you'll need much less, probably about 3-4 x 400g tins)
- 1.25 litres water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 3-4 sage leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Encona chili sauce (plus extra to taste)
- 2 tsp chipotle paste (plus extra to taste) (0.5 syn per tsp)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, milled/crushed
- 120ml freshly squeezed orange juice (2 syns)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish

Method
- Soak beans overnight if they're dried
- When ready to cook: put beans in a large pan. Add 1.25 litres water, oregano, bay leaves and sage. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft but not quite done (about 30 min +)
- While beans are cooking, fry onions and peppers until soft.
- Add chilli sauce, chipotle paste, cumin and garlic and stir fry until spices are fragrant.
- Remove bay and sage leaves and discard. And onion mix and salt to beans and cook for an hour until thickened.
- Add half the orange juice and simmer
- Adjust chilli at this point – you may or may not want to add more chilli paste. (I added an extra tbsp Encona chilli sauce and a tsp chiptole paste)
- Just before serving, add remaining orange juice, lime juice,
vinegar and season to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.

(Adapted from recipe here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_citrusy_black_beans/)

I'm using the Hot Pepper which is free:

Hot Pepper Sauce, all varieties, per 100ml Free

The chipotle paste is a pain to get hold of, I can only get it in Waitrose. Ive run out at the mo so will have to go and get a job lot next week :( I think maybe if you whizzed a few jalapenos (preferably Discovery red?) you'd get something similar. Possibly chuck a bit of smoked paprika on too?

Mmm I dont taste smokey in Scotch bonnets, just extremely-hot-ness :D Chipotle paste is made of smoked jalapenos so they're as close as you'll get to the taste.

Saturday 30th - Green
Breakfast: Coffee & toast (1 HEXA & 1 HEXB, 2 syns)
Lunch: no lunch AGAIN. :mad: Was out shopping, then came home and started cooking and by the time everythign was done it was tea time!
Tea: Butternut squash falafels (Free) and carrot, coriander & halloumi fritters with watercress salad. 1HEXA and 1HEXB for halloumi, 1 syn for gram flour. (I think I've 'tweaked' a bit there as I cant see low fat halloumi on the A list, but hey, sod it... :D ) Also a sweet lemon dressing (about 2 syns) and cucumber and yoghurt dip (less than 1 syn). It got a bit, er, burnt as I was a tad squiffy by the time I finished cooking it. :eek:
Snacks: Vino, ohhhhh GOD the vino, I lost count... :eek: probably getting on for 50!!! :eek: :eek: :wave_cry: Aaaaggghhhh!!!

5994074848_03aa10a903_o.jpg

That's a beautiful looking platter Erm! You're probably sleeping off the wine right about now lol. Drink lotsa water!

Oh you can have 42g reduced fat halloumi as an HEB on a green day, doesn't come up as an A choice though...

Hi Erm

Just wanted to post you a pic of how low low cheese melts - as I think it was you who couldn't buy it & said that everyone says how well it melts

I would say it still has that kinda plasticky melting texture - but melts better than others and definitely tastes yummy

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-154678556.jpg
    image-154678556.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 255
  • image-3635308342.jpg
    image-3635308342.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 246
Ahh thanks KWise1, I must venture further afield and try to find some, I cant believe they dont sell it in a giant 24h Tescos in London! :confused:

Sunday 31st - Green
Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Leftover falafels & fritters from last night 2 syns
Tea: Two courses! :)
Starter: Chana chaat - 2 tbsp Total 2% yoghurt = negligible; 2 poppadoms = 5 syns
Main: Malaysian Egg Curry (Sambal Telur) with Tilda Coconut & Lemongrass rice - 3 syns for tamarind & sugar, 1 HEXA for coconut milk 3 syns for rice. (I bought the rice without checking the syns as I'd read that some of the flavours were only a couple of syns. Being a moron I picked the wrong one so used it with this dish as the flavours kind match and we could share a pack as we were having starter too).
Snacks: Apples, Watermelon, Muller light cheesecake (1 syn)

5997435407_6205cdba0c_o.jpg

This was Gawgus, it kept reminding me of nachos, I could just see this with a HEX of melted cheese on top om nom nommmm! :) But it was also lovely as it is, loads of flavours. Was wary of all the tomato, cucumber & yoghurt, but it perfectly matched the spicy, crispy, fruitiness. Would put a bit less chilli in next time tho, the b/f was weeping with chilli heat :D

5997435493_92c1ecd54f_o.jpg

Smaller than my usual, er, portions :D As we had a starter. Good job as the recipe said 'serves 4' :eek: 4 hamsters maybe. I liked it at first with just the sauce and the egg but by the end the onion & tamarind was just way, way too sweet, more like a chutney. :(

So as the starter was huuuuuge and the main so sweet it was more like a main and dessert :cool: Not eaten my HEXBs though and Ive missed a lot of lunches this week. Still, I suppose last night's vino will counter that somewhat... :rolleyes:

PS Thanks to Honeyoc for recommending the Total 2%! Its infinitely better than the 0% and only 1.5 syns for a giant 500g pot!! :eek: Sooooooo creamy, it's delish! :)

Your pics look fab Hun!! Have looked through, and perhaps I'm being an idiot, but can I have the recipe for the beetroot humous?! Sounds great to me!!

:)

Beetroot hummus I got out of the Aug/Sep SW mag p. 66:

(I think Im the only person who didn't like this recipe :D )

2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
juice of 1 lemon
3 garlic cloves, crushed
255g fat free cottage cheese with onion & chive
2 handfuls fresh dill, chopped
200g peeled, cooked beetroot

- Put chickpeas in the processor & blend until roughly mashed but not smooth
- Add everything else, blend until smooth, season with salt & pepper to taste

PS Thanks to Honeyoc for recommending the Total 2%! Its infinitely better than the 0% and only 1.5 syns for a giant 500g pot!! :eek: Sooooooo creamy, it's delish! :)

YAY! Glad you like the yogurt! Because SW is going to be my way of life, I refuse to eat extra light anything, too diety for my liking! I'd rather spend the syns on light mayo, salad cream, cream cheese, yogurt, milk etc. I can happily eat light varieties forever but not extra light :sign0137:

I've got chickpeas soaking at the moment to try falafels! Never had them before.

Dammit, I posted it in the wroing place again, I thought I was in the food diary :eek:

Butternut squash falafels:

- 500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- small bunch parsley (leaves only), chopped
- small bunch coriander (leaves only), chopped
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin

- Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6
- Season BNS with plenty of salt & pepper and roast in fry Light for 35min or until soft & caramelised
- Put chickpeas, garlic, bicarb, parsley, herbs and spices in a food processor and whizz to a rough paste (you'll have to keep opening it and scraping it down as it sticks to the sides cos there no liquid in there)
- When the BNS is done, roughly mash it with a fork and add to the chickpea mix in a big bowl, Season, mix well and leave in the fridge for 30 min +.
- When you're ready to cook roll the mix into about 16 balls, spray with Fry Light and cook on a lined baking sheet for 15-20 min until golden underneath.

Mine didn't turn out at all crispy but as I say I was slightly squiffy so that could explain a lot. :D Next time I might try a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil drizzled over them like it says in the original recipe (HEXB) and/or also cook them for longer/higher heat.

Carrot, coriander & halloumi fritters:

I actually liked the fritters better which you can't see on the pic. Here they are half-cooked:

5998218254_798e5c606e_o.jpg

- 50g halloumi, coarsely grated (I used light) - 6.5 syns for 12 fritters so 0.5 syns each (or use as HEXB on Green)
- 3 large carrots, coarsely grated (I think it would be good to leave these to dry out a bit - maybe roll and squeeze them in a tea towel?)
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
- 20g gram flour (you can use plain) (3 syns)
- 2 eggs beaten (personally I dont think anywhere near this much was necessary - maybe half an egg would be plenty)

To serve:
- 200g halloumi slices if you want them (42g low fat halloumi is 1 HEXB on Green)

Put all fritter ingredients in a bowl, season with salt & pepper, mix well and form into 12 round, flat cakes. Lay on a lined tray and chill for 30 min+.

I seriously thought these wouldn't work when I was 'shaping' them as the recipe suggests, as they were literally a pile of carrot gratings falling apart and I was positive there was an error in the recipe, in fact I still think there probably is. I nearly baked them instead but thought Id test one on the skillet and it worked. I still dont think there was *any* point in the shaping/chilling thing as there's no way in the world these will go firm on this amount of egg and flour, especially without drying the carrots out. Basically I just got a handful as flat as I could, sprayed it at close range with about 8 sprays of Fry light, put it on a hot skillet and pressed it down with a fish slice for a few seconds and cooked on high heat for 2 min. That allowed it to hold just enough to pick it up really carefully with a fish slice, spray the other side and repeat. 2 min on each side and they were done and they are yummmmm :) I could do 4 at a time on my skillet (recipe makes 12).

At the end you slice the rest of the halloumi into thin slices and fry in fry Light for 2 min each side on the skillet again.

Both these recipes are from vegetarian by Alice Hart btw: Vegetarian: Amazon.co.uk: Alice Hart: Books

Back