Ever tried an outfit on and thought.. it looks better on the mannequin :(

fatty2slim

I feel so hugggeee!

I went shopping today for smart clothes to wear to work i start on monday and im so nervous because its my first full time job and i want to make a good impression.

I went with a friend, she's a size 10 and im 16, whatever i tried looked totally horrendous on me :(

I feel awful! I bought a few things, tried them on at home, theyre going straight back tomorrow!

Ladies what do you wear to work?

Life would be so much easier if I was thin... rant over!

yep those mannequins are so skinny! but beautifully proportioned!
I dress carefully to suit my shape, I avoid trousers at all costs -we dont get on.
I like to emphasise my waist as its my smallest bit.

There are some 'dress for your shape' websites which can offer you some tips to make the best of your shape, we all have features we'd rather not emphasise and I think this continues for most people even once they are in the healthy weight range. I am a healthy BMI (still would like to lose a bit more though) but carry all my weight around the middle and feel like I look huge no matter what I wear and have almost twig legs by comparison. Hardly anybody looks like a model or is perfectly proportioned so dressing for your body type is the way to go for us mere mortals.

the mannequin is just that..a mannequin, not a real person. Never looked at it that way, even at my biggest weight. Think you're just being too self-critical, you can buy clothes that flatter your shape x

You will still have the same problems you have now when you're thin, only you'll be thinner..I know, I have been thin before!:p

I have had similar experience when clothes shopping, really upsets me, I get annoyed cos even when things "should" fit my boobs get in the way n then things look weird or just don't fit right.

Don't give up tho you will get there hun :) x

Yup!
It doesn't help either that in plus size shops they use super skinny mannequins so of course the clothes look great on them and look like crap on me!
Why do plus-size shops use skinny mannequins???

I know how your feeling.
I went shopping for interview clothes a few weeks ago and couldnt find anything at all that was a, comfy, or b, didnt make me look like an idiot!
Im a 16/18 too, so i know how it feels.
My only useful advice really is make sure its something you feel comfy in. There is nothing worse than having to sit there all day feeling like a moose!
Hope the jobs going ok x

Hi, Im a size 26 at the moment and must say I feel most confident & comfortable in my office wear. I invested in some good quality black pencil skirts which I believe should be a staple item in any womens wardrobe, team it up with a smart blouse or top, a matching necklace and some quality black heels (not thin stilettos though!). I am regularly complimented by men and women alike. I even have thin girls in the office asking me for tips! I also wear nice fitted trousers, long or capri ones (material like bengalin / lycra material) with a nice long tunic that is tight on my bust and then flows (empire style). In Cyprus everyone is thin so shopping is a nightmare and a couple of shops that do accommodate for plus sizes are EXPENSIVE. I also order from yoursclothing.co.uk and asos.com. You find great affordable clothes that look good and even on us larger gals!

yes, im an awkward shape. i have a flat chest, broad shoulders, small waist and wide hips, add big calves and biceps (thanks to weight training). of course these maniquins are perfect so they wont have anything like that.

seem some really pretty clothes i like, but they dont accomodate for a more muscular type body! tried on a really nice dress before, i just looked like a flat chested boy in it :(

Designers design for women who look like mannequins - which is the root of the problem.

For work, I look smartest in dresses (yes, dresses - even ast a size 24!) I'm an hourglass shape, and find that empire lines work best when i'm larger and something more fitted with a full skirt when i'm slimmer. I'm on my feet all day so I wear ballet pumps, flat mary-janes, or something with a low wedge heel.

if i CBA with tights etc, I'll wear wide-leg trousers and a long-line top (which feels a bit like pyjamas!) - but i'm short and wide and although it's the most flattering style of trouser for me, the dresses make me look smarter and slimmer.

i have a flat chest, broad shoulders, small waist and wide hips, add big calves and biceps (thanks to weight training). of course these maniquins [STRIKE]are perfect[/STRIKE] are abnormal and inaccurate representations of a human body so they wont have anything like that.

Fixed that for ya there, ma'am... :cool:

Seriously, most mannequins are ridiculously unreal, as bad as barbie dolls - the ones in Jane Norman I reckon have the equivalent of an eighteen-inch waist and yet have curvy hips, pardon my stroppiness but it seems to me if the one task a mannequin has is to represent a human body, actually bearing a slight resemblance to a real, in fact, human body should maybe be top of the list of priorities for the designers?! :flamingmad:

Yep agreed, I often see things in shop windows that look great and when I try them on they look eugh. Clothes are often pinned back on mannequins too, so the clothes don't even fit them! It's nothing to do with your body, it's just because the fashion industry makes clothes for women like Gisele (I can lose all the weight I want but I'll never have those dimensions, I'm shorter, bigger boobs, wider shoulders, completely different bone structure) and we all suit different styles.

Fixed that for ya there, ma'am... :cool:

Seriously, most mannequins are ridiculously unreal, as bad as barbie dolls - the ones in Jane Norman I reckon have the equivalent of an eighteen-inch waist and yet have curvy hips, pardon my stroppiness but it seems to me if the one task a mannequin has is to represent a human body, actually bearing a slight resemblance to a real, in fact, human body should maybe be top of the list of priorities for the designers?! :flamingmad:

good fix :p

I'm 5ft and a size 18...Enough said!!

Back