Exercise, how much is necessary?

I am into the second week of cd and feel alot more energetic and theres only so much cleaning in the house that you can do. My partner has just purchased me a cross trainer machine and was wondering would this be ok to use? Also could anyone recommend any other exercises that will prevent me from having flabby skin later on when i lose the weight. I have currently just started doing kettle bell exercises 3 days a week are great. Most cdc's have said that I am not supposed to be doing any exercises but surely you have to do some? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

There might only be so much cleaning you can do at your house but I bet there's plenty you could do at mine if you feel inclined - bit far away though. Shame ;)
Seriously, if you are on sole source, don't push it as it can leave you weak and shaky. I moved furniture a while back and really felt lightheaded later. I guess it depends on how much exercise you did before too

Fair point so far I havent felt dizzy on the kettle bell exercises but im really worried about getting flabby skin on my arms and tummy so would love some toning exercises maybe?? hmmm

Hiya, I would say light exercise is fine on SS and you can increase the intensity as you move up the plans. Kettle bells are good for toning aren't they? I walk my dog daily and have recently started a Pilates DVD (Pilates for Dummies) which is great for toning!!!! Hope that helps, someone else might provide better advice xx

I go on my x-trainer every night when I can be bothered, for 20 mins and was fine on SS. I think there is evidence to suggest that fat burning is more effective with low intensity exercise on a VLCD, so I use it more to tone (harder resistence, less aerobic) than anything else.
You don't 'need' to exercise at all on CD and plenty of people who have got to goal, look amazing and don't have loose skin, have done that. I suspect it depends on each person. My skin isn't overly elastic - I got stretch marks when my hips and breasts increased during puberty and my dad has them too.

I guess the bingo wing exercises rather than the aerobic 'feel the burn' types would be best - google 'bingo wing exercises' and you'll get some ideas
Also 'the plank'

Thanks guys for all the tips!! Went on the x trainer last night and the legs and arms are killing me, not going to overdo it on the exercise front but stick to maybe 3 days a week at least I am doing something...

I joined the gym this week and have done 35 minutes cardio a day and have gained a flippin 1lb, first time in 15 weeks on CD that I have gained, so just watch out you dont do too much. I didn't exercise at all on the other 14 weeks and lost more than 3 stone...

I wonder was that muscle weight though and will it settle then? Did you find much changes with your skin while losing the weight,sorry for the personal question

My skin is lose, but there's not tons of it, apart from round my tummy, but I have had 10 children and 3 caesereans, so put my tummy problems down to that. I do have lose skin, but I think it will sort itself out in 6 months time which is what I have heard. I have heard that it takes 6 months for your skin to catch up with your weight loss... but my weightloss was most important to me whilst doing CD and so am now going to go all out to tone up....

You have 10 children, blimey and look as good as ya do? Well done luv thats bleaking amazing!! You look so young, thanks for the advice chick really appreciate it!!

There seems to be conflicting advice on this....when I did LL we were not advised to take up any EXTRA exercise whilst on SS as there simply isn't enough energy for you to do that. You are ok to carry on doing what you usually did eg I walk every day for total of about 45 mins so am ok with that on SS.

My CDC has now suggested (week 3) that I do some gentle exercise so as to avoid plateauing and 'getting used to' the huge reduction in calories. Swimming, walking, yoga, toning exercises etc.

I wouldn't recommend Davina's power of 3 at this point, nor anything particularly heavy cardio or just plain knackering.

re skin....i am sure I read somewhere that you can expect it to take a month per every stone lost to sort itself out. And as you get older, you can add to that...we're just not as bouncy and stretchy and collageny as we used to be! Body brushing, salt scrub and bio oil are your friends.

Back