extra 6000 cals day

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by neilbigh101, 23 September 2009 Social URL.

1. neilbigh101

neilbigh101 New Member

Hi everyone, my first day and first post. I was shocked today when I got on the scales to find I was 18 stone (groan) and also worked out that I consume about 6000 cals a day of beer. If I stopped drinking how much would I on average loose per week, I know it different for everyone but just your best gestimate to give me some encouragement, thanks all and lookforward for anyones advice

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Strawberri

Strawberri Mad As A Hatter

Start Weight:
    29st0lb
    Current Weight:
    25st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(10.59%)
    Diet:
    Xenical / Low-cal Diet
    It all depends on things like height weight age and stuff - try looking at this page BMR Calculator

It tells you what your Basic Metabolic Rate is so what you burn off just by being in bed

then try this page
    Harris Benedict Equation

it tells you how many cals you actually need and what you need to maintain your weight and lose your weight

but im guessing stopping 6000 a day your going to looooose weight

4. lemon_fizz

lemon_fizz Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.02%)
    Diet:
    SW - EE
    I can't give you figures, but I too would think that if you stop 6000 cals a day, the weight should drop off pretty fast.

Speaking as someone with relatives who were heavy drinkers, I wonder if you will have alcohol withdrawal symptoms to deal with. Perhaps seeking medical advice would be good idea. If you suddenly go cold turkey, your body may go into shock.

Just a thought. All good luck to you.

5. IrishMum

IrishMum A little of everything!

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(14.92%)
    Diet:
    LT, now cc-ing to lose Christmas blubber!
    Roughly speaking, cutting 3500cals will cause you to lose 1lb- so if you're drinking that much (42000 calories!) and stop, you 'should' lose 12lbs a week!

I'm with lemonfizz worrying about you suddenly stopping though? Have you seen your GP about losing weight? He may advise a slower, less drastic approach?

6. rhuba

rhuba i really don't know life

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(13.76%)
    Diet:
    optimum nutrition and lots of exercise!
    also, just wondering if you've worked it out correctly. 6000 calories worth of beer, is about 25 - 30 pints! is that how much you drink per day? as if it is, then i would highly recommend getting a professional opinion on cutting down and stopping slowly. i would be very surprised if you didnt get withdrawal symptoms!

7. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I thought that. Perhaps was a miss type and maybe meant 600 calories, rather than 6000.

I would imagine that 30 pints of beer each day, and weight would be the least of neilbigh101's problems.

8. Stirky7

Stirky7 Believe!

Start Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimfast/JUDDD
    Yes I thought exactly the same, that would be an awful lot of beer. Maybe 600 a day, or 6000 a week???

9. CrazyBrit

CrazyBrit Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st6lb
    Current Weight:
    21st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating
    As a chap, you need approximately 2,500 calories a day for living. You use less energy sleeping (everything slows down) than you do while awake. That 2,500 is for a single 24-hour period including around 8 hours' sleep.

One pound of fat stores approximately 3,500 calories. Thus if you cut down to a daily intake of 1,500 calories, you will lose roughly 1lb per week, which is a healthy rate at which to lose weight.

If you cut your calorie intake too low, your body will believe there is a famine, and will work to retain as much body fat as possible. It does this by, essentially, ingesting everything else instead. This means you'll get your energy from absorbing your own muscle mass while retaining fat. So try not to do that ;)

If you cut down to over 2,500 calories a day you will not lose weight, you will simply gain it at a vastly reduced rate.

10. Steph1989

Steph1989 Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(12.88%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating!
    Wow, 6,000 kcals a day on just drink is alot.. Cut it down or stop it even and you'll be well on your way to loosing weight.. :)

11. Lady_in_London

Lady_in_London Member

Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Stopping the beer is not likely to make you lose weight if your food and other drink is way over what you need to lose weight, but stopping it will certainly help and will help your system - less windipops - and help your liver. That much booze is slowly killing you.

12. Lady_in_London

Lady_in_London Member

Diet:
    Calorie counting
    You can't assume that as you don't know his basal metabolic rate and activity level. It is only with age, height, weight and activity level knowledge can you work out whether someone is likely to stay the same, gain or lose, in a given calorie amount.

13. CrazyBrit

CrazyBrit Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st6lb
    Current Weight:
    21st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating
    I was more correcting the above assertion that if he cut down to 4,500 calories of beer a day he would lose weight. Which he won't.

But I'm suspecting the 6,000 calories was either a gross miscalculation, or he's had liver failure by now.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.