Working Solutions Extra calories

UmmZakaria

Hi :) I am new to exante - please ignore my stats & ticker etc as I need to update! I lost 4st with Lighterlife nearly 2 years ago but I've since had another baby and need to shift the weight again.
I am doing Working Solution as I am breastfeeding so need the extra calories.
What do you people use their 400kcal on? I am reluctant to make proper "meals" so have been having an Atkins bar (200) and a couple of eggs so it still feels a bit more like food replacement. Any tips on eating the calories without getting onto a slippery slope of denial?!
Secondly a long shot but does anyone have any experience of doing a VLCD and breastfeeding?
Thanks x

Have you checked with your doctor or health visitor that it's safe to do a VLCD while breastfeeding? I know that you need a LOT of extra calories when breastfeeding and you may not get enough while doing a VLCD (even WS) to sustain you. I know you want to lose weight but it might be worth waiting a little while longer. How old is your baby and how long do you plan to breastfeed? You might be better off doing a diet like Slimming World which is safer while you're breastfeeding and then change over if you need to when your little one is weaned? This is just my opinion though and my experience of breastfeeding.

Edited to add: I've just checked, apparently a VLCD is only allowed once your baby is on solids, if your baby is relying soley on breast milk it's not safe.

From the Exante website:

Can I breastfeed while on Exante Diet?
You cannot follow the Exante Diet programmes while you are the sole source of nutrition for your baby. If you are not the sole source of nutrition for your baby it may be possible to follow our 1200 kcal programme Simple Solution, but you must get advice from your doctor first. You must wait until 3 months after you have given birth before starting on any of our programmes.

Thanks for your reply :)
My baby is 6 months now and started weaning onto solids. I wish I could do the Total Solution but obviously know that would be too few calories with the ones I'm using breastfeeding. I am having an extra 400 but keeping an eye on things and will up these if I have to. I'm not particularly worried about my supply as such as with my last baby I lost weight very quickly (not on purpose) and my supply was fine, unfortunately the weight isn't coming off this time as I'm just not being disciplined enough. Both Exante and Lighterlife have said that the plans are ok if not exclusively breastfeeding so I'll just see how I go. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has done a VLCD / LCD whilst breastfeeding and what their experiences are. x

Ummzakaria,

I am on a 1200 calorie low carb diet ( 1 -2 new you shake a day and cooked meat and veg no bread, rice and pasta) and breastfeeding a 7.5 months, I started when she was 7 months old as I wanted to make sure she is well established on solid before starting, I just can not loose weight with breastfeeding on 1500 calorie diet. She is thriving and milk supply is not compromised, i think the high protein, low carb is actually good for milk supply.

I was on similar diet when pregnant as I had GD but calories when pregnant was 1500, under supervision of consultant and dietician
I put on only 15lb in pregnancy as oppose to 30lb in previous pregnancy, I went on to normal feeding after delivery and put on so much weight again. I am now the same weight I was at the end of pregnancy, not good
I have lost 7lb in 2 weeks so not too bad

I am waiting on delivery of exante and will be doing the working solution 1000, but will give myself allowance for up to 1200, I have checked my breast milk for ketones there is none.

You keep a close eye on your little one, it will give you an idea how she/he is doing

Last edited:
THank you so much for your reply :) 7lb is great! Must feel great. That's reassuring to know that ketones haven't passed into your breastmilk although I have read some stuff saying that even if it does that it's not dangerous. THere is so much conflicting info out there but my theory is exactly what you say about watching my LO. If there is even a tiny hint that my milk may be afected then I will up my calorie intake. I am feeling amazing on Day 3 - I got into ketosis on the end of Day 1 but that made me realise I needed to uptake my calories a bit the next day. I think I will just take each day as it comes and if I need to go to 1200 from 1000 then I'll decide each day. I am having the 3 exante products and today have had a small prawn salad and will have an extra bar too. x

Back