Fake Meat Question

I have quorn on red and green days. As I don't cook for myself and can't always eat what the family does, quorn is one of those things that's really easy to grab out of the freezer and have with veggies. Purely convenience.

I agree with Erm about the pepper steaks though. They changed the recipe and the one I had the other day blew my head off and I couldn't eat it! Strangely, I managed the jalapenos I had on the side!

When I was vegetarian a hundred years ago I used to use TVP mince (textured vegetable protein) and it was a good meat substitute I thought!

Speaking of meat substitutes, I have some dried soya chunks, two questions how do I cook them, and any idea of the syns?

I would have no idea!! (felt compelled to reply - but I realise this isn't helping! :rotflmao:)

May I suggest feeding them to the bin, popping up Tescos and buying a huge roast chicken instead!!?? x

vickidyers said:
I would have no idea!! (felt compelled to reply - but I realise this isn't helping! :rotflmao:)

May I suggest feeding them to the bin, popping up Tescos and buying a huge roast chicken instead!!?? x

This gets my vote! :)

Hi

Try Asda's own meatfree range. Its a lot cheaper that Quorn and in my opinion so much nicer. In fact when I have the sausages my kids beg me to have them instead of meat ones.

Hope you find some you like as I think sometimes green days are more comforting this time of year.

Good Luck x x x

I've always been a fan of real meat and could never stand quorn products until I decided to give the quorn mince another go. I made a spag Bol and I loved it and so did all the other people that had some.

By all means choose not to use them yourself but don't put down those who enjoy these products. I wouldn't want this thread to degenerate into a debate on the ethics of eating meat either and so will refrain from going down that road. But if you are on a budget then meat free products are generally less expensive so they can be a useful addition to the shopping list, even for meat eaters.

Not cheap on Syns? Peppered steaks are free and the nuggets are half a syn each. The hot and spicy bites are just 2 syns each and are a really generous size. The escalope is the only thing high in syns IMO, at 8.5

Fair enough, you might prefer to have the real thing, each to their own. But for those that might struggle in using their syns and are looking for something quick, handy and tasty, these are ideal.

It's all about personal preference..

They work out about the same though dont they? Nuggets half a syn each or 9 syns a pack, bites 2 syns each or 8 syns a pack; escalopes 8.5 syns each. That comes out kinda high in my mind, but as you say, we're all different, each to their own. Enjoy :)

By all means choose not to use them yourself but don't put down those who enjoy these products. I wouldn't want this thread to degenerate into a debate on the ethics of eating meat either and so will refrain from going down that road. But if you are on a budget then meat free products are generally less expensive so they can be a useful addition to the shopping list, even for meat eaters.

I've not seen anyone putting anyone down? Just different peoples different opinions and a little mild banter :)

Was this me saying that quorn mince tasted like the contents of my hoover bag or suggesting to Shirleen that they best way to cook soya chunks is in the bin!? If so sorry for any offence that may have been caused :eek:

I'm still trying with meat free products as I'm still convinced there may be something I like out there...! ;)

If I may wade in in Quorn's defence...

I don't think of Quorn as a "meat substitute". I think it is a far better food as it has more to offer - low fat, high protein, zero cholesterol and is produced on less land, using less water in a process which emits less greenhouse gasses.

It is a brilliant food in its own right and is not a fake or substitute anything. Go the Quorn!! :party0011:

But at the end of the day, if you don't like the taste of it, you will be more likely to fall off plan. Eat what you like and what is tasty and you will do well on SW which is why we are all here :)

If I may wade in in Quorn's defence...

I don't think of Quorn as a "meat substitute". I think it is a far better food as it has more to offer - low fat, high protein, zero cholesterol and is produced on less land, using less water in a process which emits less greenhouse gasses.

It is a brilliant food in its own right and is not a fake or substitute anything. Go the Quorn!! :party0011:

But at the end of the day, if you don't like the taste of it, you will be more likely to fall off plan. Eat what you like and what is tasty and you will do well on SW which is why we are all here :)

I don't use it as a meat substitute either, I eat it cos it's convenient and healthy and I don't like much meat anyway. I'm not a veggie. I used to eat Quorn all the time - slices, sausages, steaks, pieces etc - unfortunately now they've changed so many recipes the only thing I still like the taste of is the pieces :cry: Bring back tasty Quorn! :sigh:

My comment about the 'real thing' was more that given the amount of syns in some of their products (eg bites/nuggets) I would rather make my own (whether meat or something else) - but that's my choice and as said above we're all different, some people prefer the new recipes to the old ones and/or think it a good use of syns.

PatchworkPuss said:

Have i missed something on this thread? I havwn't seen anything putting people down for eating these products on here. Couldn't agree more with you about then being a good source of protein without the expense of meat. In fact i lived on this stuff when at uni for exactly this reason!

Was this me saying that quorn mince tasted like the contents of my hoover bag or suggesting to Shirleen that they best way to cook soya chunks is in the bin!? If so sorry for any offence that may have been caused :eek:

I'm still trying with meat free products as I'm still convinced there may be something I like out there...! ;)

Don't apologise for saying what you think! People read different things different ways, you didn't say anything wrong!! :)

Ermintrude - I haven't noticed the change in recipes, but then I use so much cajun and curry in my quorn dinners, I can barely taste my own tongue most of the time :D

Crikey sausage don't you think the sausages have changed? :eek: And I never used to eat them plain even before, I used to smother them in Schwartz spicy cajun shake even then! All slimy now, yik :yuk:

Do you eat the slices? I used to lurrrrrrrve the peppered Quorn slices ommmmmm all succulent, juicy, salty, peppery yumness :drool: I'd eat 3 packs a week. Now they're dry as cardboard and all the flavour has gone :( Boo. I got them again last week to check it wasn't just me but I've tried 6 packs now and I dont know what to replace them with, they were unique! :cry:

Erm - I have not tried the new recipe sausages yet. Still working through my massive stockpile of the syn free, old recipe ones ;)

The slices - are they the pink round ones? We call them spam - they were always a bit hit and a miss I found as they dry out very quickly once opened.

Back