Family dinner

vikstar

Silver Member
On Sunday we are having OH's grandparents and parents over for a Christmas meal. I am starting back on my SW diet on Saturday so need to make it SW friendly. Any suggestions? Posting here because I'm having trouble thinking of what "older" people might like.

Thanks in advance :)

X

Hi Vikstar,

How about a slimming world roast? Nice roast chicken, or roast beef
Mash or Slimming world roasties
Lots of veg all free
Aunt Bessies's yorkshires are only 1 syn each
Gravy

Low syn and everyone loves a roast!

Or how about a nice beef stew with mash- can be made in the slow cooker in advance and reheated, saves the hard work, just make the mash and re-heat stew? Served with lots of nice veggies?

I would think any 'hot dinner' would be nice, older people tend to enjoy them and while it's still cold would hit the spot!!

i would do a roast dinner as well. if you want a starter try prawn cocktail (using kraft light thousand island dressing - 1/2 syn per level tablespoon) with a salad

or make a tomato soup (i am making one from the nov/dec mag which i think was 1/2 syn).

i am not so good at deserts as i would rather not bother than use syns on something that is ok but not great. however i did have a piece of trifle at the taster session the other week. it was made with a sugar free jelly set in a bowl (then added the trifle sponge fingers - 1 finger was 20 cals so 1 syn). then added the Onken fat free strawberry yoghurt followed by the fat free vanilla yoghurt. then a bit of squirty cream (not sure of syns) and some white chocolate maltesers and some mini santas. it really looked lovely and tasted delicious.

I would do a big pot of stew with stewing beef or lamb. That way you can add lots of superfree veggies to it (carrots, onion, celery, swede, parsnips).

If you have good control, you could perhaps even bake a nice loaf of wholewheat bread to go with it.

I agree with a big roast dinner. With my turkey and ham on xmas day, I had homemade stuffing made from very low fat sausages, onion, and a bit of egg, and a roastie done with frylight. As well as mash and loads of veg. Something like that would be nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have been trawling through my recipe books and think I'll start with prawn pate (prawns, cottage cheese and s+p blended) and do a stew or roast for mains. Dessert was trickier but have seen the Spanish orange cake which looks yummy - has anyone tried it?

Thanks again x

how about rice pudding for desert..
I'm sure that there's a SW syn free ( or almost ) one in the recipes section..

rice is free ( on EE anyway ) and the milk would be from your HeA and use vanilla extract and splenda instead of sugar.
then add a muller light for creamyness when it's done..

If you are interested I have a recipe from the desserts book for a choc mousse that is I think 1.5 syns per portion. It's amazing, don't think anyone would guess it's diet.

Or a slightly more synful White choc and Ginger cheesecake. If u want the recipe for either let me know.

Posting here because I'm having trouble thinking of what "older" people might like.

X

I would think any 'hot dinner' would be nice, older people tend to enjoy them and while it's still cold would hit the spot!!

Whoa !!!! What's with all the ageism ladies !!

I suppose technically I am one of those "older" people but I promise you I haven't noticed a need for any particular type of food.

We poor ,feeble, old people can manage just about anything with our false teeth firmly in place. Pop a bib round our necks and we are fine.

I am 67 years old and cook and eat food from every part of the world........Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Italian, American Deep South, Jamaican, French, Spanish etc.

I give dinner parties for large numbers of friends the eldest of them is 84 years old. Her favourite meal............... curry and the hotter the better.

Still, perhaps I have got it wrong, you give your "old folks " a nice, safe roast dinner I am sure they will be grateful.

Do not be offended by my comments. I could not resist. I suppose when I was younger I thought youth and all that goes with it was better than sliced bread.

Age brings so many joys and one day you will be there too.

I don't class 67 as old - my parents are nearly that age and they'll try anything we make. These grandparents are in their late 80s and only eat "normal" food as they call it. Anything with a hint of spice in isn't eaten - I guess when you've been eating a certain type of food for that long you can't really change!

julesmorris said:
If you are interested I have a recipe from the desserts book for a choc mousse that is I think 1.5 syns per portion. It's amazing, don't think anyone would guess it's diet.

Or a slightly more synful White choc and Ginger cheesecake. If u want the recipe for either let me know.

Both of those recipes sound great - thank you :)

On Sunday we are having OH's grandparents and parents over for a Christmas meal. I am starting back on my SW diet on Saturday so need to make it SW friendly. Any suggestions? Posting here because I'm having trouble thinking of what "older" people might like.

X

I have a gorgeous sw cottage pie recipe. This is great for all the family and especially oldies who love proper English grub like that :)
Here is the recipe. xxx

Cottage Pie recipe.....Syn free on Extra Easy!
Featured in the Slimming World Oct 2009 Magazine.
Ready in under 1 hour 30 minutes.

Ingredients:
11oz/312g potatoes, peeled and cubed
a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic cloves, crushed
1 celery stalk, finely
1 carrot, chopped
7oz/198g extra lean minced beef
200g can of chopped tomatoes
1/4pint/142ml beef stock
1tbspn beef bovril
1tsp dried oregano
1 egg, beaten

1.Boil the potatoes in a pan until tender, drain, return to the pan and mash until smooth, season and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat a non stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and beef and fry for 6-8 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock, bovril and the oregano. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring often.
While the pie filling is cooking, preheat the oven to 200 degrees/gas mark 6.

3. Transfer the pie filling to a small oven proof dish and top with the mash, comb the mash with a fork and brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly brown.

Cottage pie sounds yummy - maybe for next time as we have just bought some LEAN stewing steak. Thanks a lot :)

My in laws are the same, they only like english food. we went to harvester once and i thought it was so funny when they ordered a steak well done and when asked if wanted any sauces my hubby's mum said something along the lines of not wanting that muck. They are a bit of a character at times... lol

I dont think its an age thing though as my brother in law (from my side of the family) is the same and he is in his late 20's. He wouldnt eat things like pasta as he has been brought up on meat and two veg and thinks thats what a proper meal is.

anyway i have went off at a tangent.... i was going to reply to see how it went (for later today) and also to say we are off to inlaws today and they are doing dinner.

hubbys dad is making roast pork with all the trimmings (this wont be healthy at all) followed by rhubarb and apple crumble.... am going to try and skip desert if it doesnt come across as rude (will play it by ear) and have no other syns today except those in lunch. They dont do healthy so roast potatoes will be cooked in dripping and the gravy will be thick made with the meat juices.... i wont be drinking as i have to drive back home (and i have given it up for January anyway).

i know this will be more than a days allowance but these things happen and if I had asked them to make it more diet friendly it would have been taken with offence. I will just enjoy it and be back on plan tonight. :)

Back