Fasting & SW!

Thank you girls for your answers, I understand it a lot better now. I think. Didn't Jesus do the 7 days and nights without food and water thing as well? Guessing though Allah did it for much longer so he is seen as stronger? Or something like that? I know I'm asking stupid questions, but if I at least manage to learn something then it's not wasted :)

Don't feel bad about the Mullers, I didn't know they had gelatine in until I read your thread, and even though I'm not veggie or Muslim, it has put me off them a bit. I would have posted the same thread if I'd have known if only to make others aware so thank you for that. I am learning a new thing every day!

You do know alot too.
Yes the Lailat-ul-Qadr night all muslims look forward too.

Good luck to all with fasting and performing their prays! :)

I copied it from the timetable :eek: but I guess I will remember it more now and hopefully having passed it on to others is a good deed :) InshaAllah, may the rest of the fasts be as easy as the first two.

xx

I have a friend who's fasting now too, I have known for a while that you can't drink water but she said if you feel ill then you can, she knows I think that's dangerous but it's her religion and I have to respect that.

Mind you she also said that some people aren't as strict as she is, her cousins for instance will allow themselves water.

She said she's going to be eating a lot of low GI stuff, porridge for example is low in syns (Oatsosimple is lush!) and will keep you going for a while.

I just feel really sorry for people when Ramadan falls in summer, I said to her that people who work nights must be ecstatic because they sleep for most of the fasting period, that made her laugh lol!

Ohh, that's interesting that you mention people allowing themselves water... No one I know does that, it's never even crossed my mind! If you feel ill, it does make sense to break your fast because you aren't meant to put yourself in danger. It's not hard going without food or water, I guess you kind of build up the strength after a few days to keep at it. Obviously if you are doing something straining, all you want to do is grab a glass of water but I think we tend to take it easy during Ramadan anyway. When I was in high school, we all used to try and get away with not doing PE during Ramadan, and the teachers wouldn't have any of it. They were like 'well, more than half the population of the school is Muslim, do you want us to shut the school down for the month?'. All we wanted was to not do PE, especially the strenuous stuff that they liked to spring on us in the first term (while I was at school, all the Ramadans fell in Oct/Nov).

Lol, yes! People who work nights probably do feel really glad, lol. I wonder if they get hungry before they go to sleep though, as they will have had to stop eating around 3ish, and then have a good few hours before they go to sleep?

xxx

Thank you girls for your answers, I understand it a lot better now. I think. Didn't Jesus do the 7 days and nights without food and water thing as well? Guessing though Allah did it for much longer so he is seen as stronger? Or something like that? I know I'm asking stupid questions, but if I at least manage to learn something then it's not wasted :)

Don't feel bad about the Mullers, I didn't know they had gelatine in until I read your thread, and even though I'm not veggie or Muslim, it has put me off them a bit. I would have posted the same thread if I'd have known if only to make others aware so thank you for that. I am learning a new thing every day!

No worries hun :) Sharing knowledge benefits all of us.

About Jesus, I couldn't tell you! Allah, however, doesn't fast... well, I don't think so anyway! He's a bit of a mystery to me - just God, if that helps? He just is, he just does. The prophet (the last prophet, who has the highest status in a way) Muhammad fasted and encouraged others to do the same. He was told by Allah to fast, so wanted to spread the message to the others. He also let the people know he was the final prophet, and there would be none after him. Kind of like 'listen to me because you won't be getting any more instructions from up above'.

I know it was silly for me get sad about the Mullers thing but I felt a bit dumb, I was just trying to help others who didn't know but was told by people who do know that everyone must already know and if they don't they're a bit thick? I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill :rolleyes:

Goodnight loves, up again in two hours!

xxx

Ok, I understand more now so thanks again for that :)

As for the mullers, well I must be a bit thick then haha :D

I'm off on my hols in a few hours for a week so you'd best have lots of updates for me to read when I get back :) Good luck with the fasting hun, hope you manage to find all the days really easy.

Caz xxx :)

Ok, I understand more now so thanks again for that :)

As for the mullers, well I must be a bit thick then haha :D

I'm off on my hols in a few hours for a week so you'd best have lots of updates for me to read when I get back :) Good luck with the fasting hun, hope you manage to find all the days really easy.

Caz xxx :)
Quick post from my really slow phone to say have a brilliant time away, bring some nice weather back with you! X

Had a bit of a difficult day today. Woke up quite late again, then didn't have anything to keep me occupied for a few hours so just lazed around and got hungry. Really started feeling it around 5ish, then found something to do so was occupied till half 8, very glad when I opened my fast! I lost count of the glasses of water I had, it has never tasted so good!

Gotta be up again in 2 hours, don't feel that tired... I'd consider staying up but know it's probably not best!

xxx

Good afternoon every one, I've just seen this thread, how I missed it I dont know.

I'm not fasting this year due to being pregnant and feeling so ill however I do know some pregnant ladies that are fasting which personally I dont think is a good idea but each to their own and they know best.

Life during ramadan in our house is always up and down cause of staying up late or rising very early for suhoor. The kids object strongly to getting up so this year they have decided that they are going to stay up till midnight and eat then sleep so they can at least get a good nights sleep which they feel leaves them better prepared for the day.

We find in our house that every one eats so much less during ramadan - you would think that when it comes to the time for Iftar, when we break our fast that we would be so hungry that we just stuff our faces but surprisingly that is not the case. Within days the size of your stomach has shrunk considerably and we find as the days go by less and less is eaten. We always start with some kind of soup - chicken noodle soup is the favourite in our house and then some kind of light meal with lots of salad and some kind of meat - we rarely eat rice, it bloats every one so we tend to avoid it during this month.

One issue we are having this year is that as there is little time between breaking the fast and starting again every one is still full up by the time it comes to having breakfast so they can only manage something really small and light, maybe more soup or just some cereal. It deffinately is a very difficult time of year to be fasting but the days are going by really quickly and suprisingly the month will fly by.

There are differences in opinions as to wether fasting is dangerous or not - there has been alot of medical research done and by eating the right foods during eating hours there is some evidence that it is actually beneficial for the body and certainly the mind - It does teach us for sure to appreciate what we do have and to have a tiny tiny bit of understanding for those that go without on a daily basis.

People asked about sleeping during fasting hours - this is not what ramadan is about as it really defeats the whole idea of fasting and restraint and having a feeling of going without. The idea is that the days carry on as normal despite the lack of food and drink and then we have the real idea of how it feels.

Anyways just a small insight

Ramadan Mubarak to all my fellow muslims and inshallah you will be rewarded for your efforts during our holy month.
xxx

this is a very interesting thread, glad i happened across it :)

Yesterday seemed to drag until half 3 ish, after that it sped up and I was grateful! Had a CocoPops bar for sehri, so chocolatey! 4 syns felt a big naughty for that time of morning though :( Opened the fast with a date, then while everyone else tucked into the apple crumble we'd made, I ate a banana :) Prayer, lots of pasta salad, a little bit of chicken curry with naan, then I tucked into my first fried food item of Ramadan 2010 - a meat samosa. 2 are listed as 7.5 syns in the book, so I wrote down 4, that's OK yeah?

Didn't get up this morning, I don't know why... My four alarms woke me up but I had this mental debate with myself about eating, using up my syns... I felt really bad about it when I woke up a few hours ago, but I have now discovered, after a talking to with my brain, that it's because I'm having a lot more syns in the evening now than I would in the whole day before, and I feel like it's going to slow down my weight loss. I can't afford for it to slow down! So I'm definitely going to make sure I have less syns today than I have been having, and try to stick to that.

Not too hungry right now, got to keep ironing to keep myself busy! Then maybe a nice hot shower before I slide into another used-to-be-tight dress :) xxx

this is a very interesting thread, glad i happened across it :)

I've read it and was thinking the same. I know I could cope no food but couldn't manage without water.

Thanks for your posts guys :)

loungelizard, I know what you mean, I drink a good few litres after opening my fast! And the surprising thing is, I don't need to pee until like three hours after that! xxx

Extreme hunger kicking in, I think it's my punishment for not getting up to eat anything this morning when there was really no excuse for me not to :( I have never had a breakfast-less fast in which I have felt this hungry! Went for a walk to the post office and back before, but it was a race against time and I went to the one 1km away rather than the one 250m away! So a 2km walk done, first bit of exercise I have had in days. Will try walking to or from group on Thursday, depending on how hungry/tired I feel.

I have a really strange craving this Ramadan - never had this sensation before! - I really really really really really want baked beans. :8855: I know they're in the cupboard and I know I can have them for dinner but by the time I remember, I'm full, so I think 'okay, tomorrow!', and then tomorrow comes and goes, and my tummy is still beanless! Maybe today will be the day :p

xxx

Hey guys, hoping you are all well and getting used to the hours now... Just thought I would put a quick update down as to how it's going for me.

Had WI this morning, lost 0.5lbs and was a bit gutted to say the least, but glad it wasn't a gain at the same time. Having looked back at my food diary, someone pointed out I'm guessing my syns for a few things, which is true - can't always tell what other people put in their cooking! So off I trudged today to make something weird and wonderful out of the ingredients I had to hand - rice, tomatoes, onions, green and red peppers, and baked beans in tomato sauce... Chucked it all together in a frying pan with some Frylight and some stock, then added a pack of frozen veg (sweetcorn, carrots, broccoli) at the end - pukka! The way I now know I'm back on plan is because nobody else touched the bowl! :D Which means I have lots left over for tomorrow, yippeeee :) Hoping for a much better loss next week, I need a kick up the bum otherwise I'm scared my eating habits might relapse - not brilliant right in the middle of fatty-food month :(

Other than that, not having too much of a bad day. Got lots of walking done, aiming to keep it up for the rest of the week atleast.

UPDATE: Had to end the post mid-point earlier, was getting late for prayers.

Hoping the increased walking and the more mixed up food choices will help to boost my losses again. I got into the habit of eating whatever everyone else was having for iftaar, which was bad even though I counted the syns and had much smaller portions than the others!

I've been going to the mosque for prayers at night called Taraweeh, where the Imam (or Priest Guy, as I prefer to call him!) recites one of the thirty chapters of the Quran each night and everyone prays in congregation (men and women separate though). Suggested to a friend that she come along too tomorrow, as she is in a pretty serious relationship with a Muslim guy and wants to convert to Islam for him... So I hope it goes well tomorrow, will be trying to explain stuff to her as the evening goes along but don't know how successful I'll be as some women get really ratty and 'SHUSHHHHHHHH' you if they so much as a peep out of you.

WOW I just did the biggest burp I have ever done! Hahahaha TMI, sorry, probably the beans in my dinner working ;)

Wishing everyone else the best for the rest of the month, will share anything else if it comes up! :)

xxx

Last edited:
Thanks for updating hun, I've been very much enjoying this thread. Is it getting easier as the days go on and the daylight hours get a little shorter each day?

I too have found this so interesting. Well done on your weight loss, sorry it wasn't more but i think your body will cling on to any food it gets at the moment as it is a little unsure when it's next meal is coming.

I think you are doing amazing and have found it so interesting learning a little more about another culture through your posts.

Thank you and good luck for the rest of your fast (is it 3 more weeks?)

Teresa

Thanks for updating hun, I've been very much enjoying this thread. Is it getting easier as the days go on and the daylight hours get a little shorter each day?

Kind of, but still difficult :( It's only a 2-3 min decrease at both ends of the day, so it's not really that much of a difference. The main thing for me at the moment is something I just shared in another thread, I'll copy and paste it in...

Lol, Ramadan is just tiring more than anything, IMO. At the moment, I'm coming home at around 12:30am from the mosque, being wide awake until 1:30-2:00ish, having a mental discussion with myself as to whether I should go to sleep for an hour or find the strength to stay awake, falling asleep around 2:30, waking up at 3:30 just in time to sleepily drink some water and today, eat a banana... (yesterday was 4 mikado :eek:) and then clambering back into bed, becoming wide awake again and not being able to sleep until 4:30ish... Then my sister comes in and starts banging cupboards and stomping around at 8:00, and I am blessed with broken sleep again until 10:30, or on a lucky day, 11:30! No fair :(

xxx

I too have found this so interesting. Well done on your weight loss, sorry it wasn't more but i think your body will cling on to any food it gets at the moment as it is a little unsure when it's next meal is coming.

I think you are doing amazing and have found it so interesting learning a little more about another culture through your posts.

Thank you and good luck for the rest of your fast (is it 3 more weeks?)

Teresa

Ahhh yeahh, maybe it is clinging on to what it already has! But managed to get rid of whatever was building up in me (3 days worth! TMI - sorry :eek:) this morning - I think the banana did the trick, hahaha...

Three more joyous weeks, yup :) Every evening before prayers the Imam does a little sermon and tells some really interesting stories - I'll try to share them each day for you :)

xxx

EDIT: You don't understand how grateful I am that this posted - I took so long typing it that it logged me out and I almost lost it!

Hey guys, happy weekend!

My friend didn't end up coming along to the mosque on Friday night, she was meant to be coming with her boyfriend and then I'd take her to the women's section of the mosque to pray, but her mum kicked off about it last minute, saying she hadn't given her enough notice and it was out of the ordinary. I got a little bit frustrated as maybe if she'd told her mum a little bit more in advance, like on Wednesday when we actually spoke about it, then she wouldn't have held her back? Never mind, not my place to get involved :) But I did just ask her to find out what 'enough notice' was from her mum so she could come along one day soon rather than leave it until next Friday, because she wanted to prove she was seriously committed to her boyfriend and their relationship, prove she was ready to change her way of life to be with him. It'd probably mean a lot more to him if she got her mum's permission and came ASAP. But like I said, never mind :)

So I was determined to catch the speech before prayers both on Friday and Saturday night but missed it due to being late and having to pray while everyone else listened - it's quite distracting trying to get your own prayers right in a whisper while a voice is booming out over the speakers! You're meant to pray two rakats (if you've ever seen Muslims pray, it's one of the stand-up-sit-down-stand-up motions... if not, the general actions of prayer that constitute one rakat are: you go from standing up straight, to leaning forward resting your hands on your knees, to standing up straight again, to sitting down on your knees bowing with your forehead and arms from the elbows to the fingertips pressed to the ground, to sitting up straight, to going back to bowing onto your forehead, elbows and fingertips, and then either sitting back up straight again or standing up straight again, depending on whereabouts you are in your prayers) of greeting when you enter the mosque. These are rakats of Nafl, one type of prayer.

There is also Fard, which are compulsory to pray and are the basis of each of the five daily prayers, eg if you are in travel and don't have time to pray your whole Namaz (what you call each set of prayers) or if you are running out of time between the next Namaz, you can just pray Fard.

Sunnah is another type, which are the prayers associated with the last Prophet Muhammed (PBUH). He used to pray Sunnah as a habit, as a practice. It wasn't required of him to do so, but he did, and so to gain the most reward from Allah (SWT), a lot of people pray it now.

Also, there are Witr, which only crop up in the last Namaz of the day and have a different structure to the other types. I don't actually know the importance of Witr, even though I have Googled it. It hasn't come up with anything that means anything to me... If anyone else knows, please help!

Each Namaz consists of a different combination of the above prayers...

Fajr - between dawn and sunrise, when we close our fasts: 2 Sunnah, 2 Fard
Zuhr - after true noon but before afternoon: 4 Sunnah, 4 Fard, 2 Sunnah, 2 Nafl
Asr - afternoon: 4 Sunnah, 4 Fard
Maghrib - after sunset but before dusk, when we open our fasts (very short time period): 3 Fard, 2 Sunnah, 2 Nafl
Isha - between dusk and dawn: 4 Sunnah, 4 Fard, 2 Sunnah, 2 Nafl, (T), 3 Witr, 2 Nafl

(T) - And during Ramadan, the compulsory nightly Taraweeh prayers are prayed here, 20 rakats. While we are standing up in each of these rakats, the Imam recites a passage from the Quran from memory (the whole Quran is usually finished by the end of Ramadan as they pray in order) and we listen, focused. I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep my mind where my body is as the days are going on. I have no understanding of what he is saying, as it is all in Arabic, so it's easy to drift off. It's also easy to drift off when you can hear other voices! The worst is if someone has bought their kids along with them (most kids sit quietly or play quietly, some are absolute pains!) and one of them starts laughing... The laughter of kids is contagious in that situation, spreads like wildfire! Naughty us :eek:

Well I didn't realise how much I'd written today! Sorry guys, if it's a bit much... I actually came on here to tell you about a story I'd remembered to tell you seeing as I didn't get to hear the speech! It's not that long, but what happened is: The prophet Muhammed (PBUH) used to walk this one same route every day and along it there was a woman who used to throw things at him from the window of her house - food waste, general waste, rubbish, anything she could spare, coupled with verbal abuse. Let me tell you, a lot of people didn't like this guy, they didn't believe a word he used to say. Then again, I know how they feel because I have a lot of trouble believing some of the stories I hear about things that used to happen way way way hundreds of lots of past years ago in Islam, but I wouldn't take it so far as to throw things. One day, as he walked this route, there was nobody there to throw things. He stopped and asked one of the other residents of the area why the woman had stopped throwing things at him. They responded that she was unwell, and so was indoors resting. Now you'd think he'd walk away from that, go on his way, but he didn't. He visited the woman. She was really ill, and very shocked to see him, asking why he had turned up when she had been so constantly consistently horrible to him. He replied that the hate she had for him to make her throw things didn't matter, because she was human, and she was unwell, so he felt it her duty to visit him. She was immediately convinced of Islam and begged for his forgiveness, seeing how kind he had been regardless of how horrible she had been.

Stories like this, they usually get told by lots of different people so there are many slightly differing versions, so I'm just sharing the one with you that I know :) Forgive me for any mistakes I have made, please feel free to correct me if you know any different.

Right guys, I'm off to have a shower - which is going to be really difficult as the moment I switch the water on, I close my mouth tight-lipped so that no water trickles in, when I know I wouldn't swallow it anyway! Oh and then I get to feel extra hungry straight after my shower :( yippee. 6 hours to go, then breaking the fast at my aunty's house. Don't know if there will be SW friendly stuff there but I'm relying on salad :p xxx

Thanks again for sharing that, hope you managed well in your tight lipped shower :) Good luck with the next 6 hours and hope your Aunty has something SW friendly that you can enjoy or that you get to enjoy whatever is there.

I really liked that story, sharing stories like that is so important. Thank you

Teresa

One of the girls at my group is fasting and we were talking about it last week.

The suggestions were to try and eat health as you can from 9 and then about 3 have something big like porridge or a full breakfast with turkey rashers instead of bacon.

Thanks again for sharing that, hope you managed well in your tight lipped shower :) Good luck with the next 6 hours and hope your Aunty has something SW friendly that you can enjoy or that you get to enjoy whatever is there.

I really liked that story, sharing stories like that is so important. Thank you

Teresa

Lol, I managed alright! Had a difficult 6 hours later though, as I went over early with my brothers and helped out in the kitchen... Atleast I knew what was going into what! Didn't eat very much there but then came home and made up for it on lots of syn-free stuff!

I'll try to get to the mosque on time tonight so I have something else to share :) xxx

One of the girls at my group is fasting and we were talking about it last week.

The suggestions were to try and eat health as you can from 9 and then about 3 have something big like porridge or a full breakfast with turkey rashers instead of bacon.

I think I'm the only one in my group (that stays for Image Therapy) who is fasting, people come over and talk to me about it, just saying it's really admirable and they can't imagine going a day without water. So thanks for the suggestions! Not a fan of porridge though, and I don't think I could stomach a fry-up at that time, plus the smell would annoy everyone! Only had a few glasses of water this morning, I'd just eaten an actual meal around 12:30ish, so was quite full and very sleepy :(

I think I might start preparing my 3am foods before I go to bed - that way I know if I don't get up and eat them, they will go off sitting there until 9pm!

xxx

Back