Fat Experiences

There are very few biases that are still socially acceptable, but there is still 'weight bias' that thin people rarely seem to feel the need to challenge. It may be that nearly all people could be slim if they put the effort in, however no-one other than the individual knows how hard that effort is for them. Further, however much being overweight may be my own fault it still does not give anyone the right to be bigoted about overweight people, or rude about or to me.

I was getting upset reading this thread as you realise just how many people think it's ok to say these things, I've had numerous things targeted at me but it's quite an eye opener to see how many of us have been affected.

Personally when people say things all I want to do is scoff, in private! When people say about me wanting stuff when they're passing chocolates around the office or I'm at a buffet they are actually so wrong as I really don't like eating in public and would try to avoid it at all costs, choosing instead to pig out in private.

When lots of people on here have said that we can show the bullies when we've lost weight, well I have this weird mentality that I think when I've lost weight that they will think it's thanks to them and they're comments that I dieted and then think it's ok to abuse other people as it spurs people on to diet!

Theres a guy at work who I actually think is a nice person but constantly was saying little digs about my weight, when my zip split on my uniform instead of telling me though he spoke to my friend and told him to tell me, why didn't he just tell me himself instead of getting other people involved as then I felt like everyone was looking at my arse! Thing is that did spur me on to actually do something, I joined SW and have lost almost 2 1/2st, a few people have noticed but this guy has not said a thing.. Not well done, nothing.. Oh yes actually he does keep saying "you do like your fruit these days don't you?!

Sorry while we're on the subject of fruit I got so irritated the other day, whilst eating mine a girl who was currently eating a bar of chocolate and had just finished a packet of crisps turned around and said to me "you have to be careful there's a lot of natural sugars in fruit so don't eat too much", I know she was trying to be helpful but because of the little jibes she makes all the time (like here's twins when I'm with the other large girl in my office) I took it as an insult and although I don't usually retaliate I turned around and said "I'm well aware there's natural sugars but I also know eating fruit is far healthier for me then eating crisps and chocolate so I'll stick to the fruit thank you"

I never understand people who comment on what people are eating - like, how does it affect you that i'm eating a banana?
Why do you feel the need to question my choices?
As a life long vegetarian i've had people question my food choices constantly - i never get why they give a flying fig!
It's my body! It's my banana! Now please jog on!

CGx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

I have been feeling pretty low recently about my weight as it hasnt been budging again and today someone made me feel even worse.

me and my boyfriend went took a day trip on the coach to Cambridge. We went into a well known department store into the cafe , as the bf hadnt had breakfast before we left. Anyway... we were standing behind this women who was gassing away to the worker over nothing, and then we went to get served and she looked at me and then looked back at the worker and said ' oh i best let u get serving , you'll be able to sell all that ((pointing to the breakfast)) now.

Hasnt to add, my boyfriend who had gone to get a drink, ended up having a fried brekkie and i didnt have anything but an options hot choc, as i had had food before we left, but it made me feel rubbish that she decided to point out she thought i was going to eat everything there. There was nobody else behind me so she couldnt have aimed it at the whole que.

The optimist in me thinks she may not have meant it to have anything to do with your weight, as in 'here are customers, they will buy your food'. But the realist in me thinks gosh what is wrong with some people? Like genuinely, what is the point of saying things like that - it's not funny and it has no positive possibilities whatsoever - no good can ever come from it?!

I really hope it didn't ruin your day :)

arrived in work ready for my afternoon shift today, the cook said hello and asked how i was. so i said 'oh im ok', she said 'just ok? well ive left u a lunch in the fridge, so that should make u feel better'

i have a few problems with this lol

1. since when was saying 'im ok' mean u need to be made to feel better?

2. if i was in a not-so-good mood or not doing 'ok', should i be offered food to fix things because quite clearly im such an overweight fat heffer that the only thing that could possibly help a cow such as myself is for me to stuff my face!

godddddddddd!

i just said 'thanks' and left the room

I never understand people who comment on what people are eating - like, how does it affect you that i'm eating a banana?
Why do you feel the need to question my choices?
As a life long vegetarian i've had people question my food choices constantly - i never get why they give a flying fig!
It's my body! It's my banana! Now please jog on!

CGx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

YES!!! Sorry, this is massively OT but I've been vegetarian since I was 10 and it amazes me how some people think this gives them the right to talk incessantly about what you're eating! What really makes me laugh is when you get some 3 hour monologue about how this person thinks vegetarians are idiots and then finishes it with "I wouldn't mind but vegetarians never shut up about not eating meat" - well excuse me but aren't you the person who bought this up?

Back OT, I've had the "Oh I thought you'd want one" comment from people before. The funny thing is that when people have made that comment to me I don't think they actually meant to be mean they were just trying to make conversation, or they're self conscious about their weight and trying to compensate for it..

Back