Faulty Product - no receipt = no comeback?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by xMandyDx, 1 November 2011 Social URL.

1. xMandyDx

xMandyDx Determination is Key

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(19.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    About a month ago I bought a blender in Argos and used it to make the SW fererro roche and it worked just fine. Then with one thing and another (being in hospital, mainly) I didn't get a chance to use it again until today.
    When I was using it the sound changed and became coarser or something. I can't really describe it, but I knew it wasn't right. So I stopped the machine and took the jug off. All around the rim under the jug, on the part where the motor is was lots of teeny pieces of plastic, just scattered. Obviously they'd broken off from somewhere.
    And when I looked into the jug, the blades were loose, and there was a rubber ring just under the blades that was coming off.

Now I'm disgusted because I threw the reciept out, after I used it the first time, thinking it worked fine. But now on the second use it's broken. There's even a smell of burning plastic coming from it.

Have I any recourse at all?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. JackieN

JackieN Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.81%)
    Diet:
    Slowly cutting out refined sugar and cooking more from scratch
    Argos are usually fantastic even without a receipt. If possible you need to show a bank statement showing a payment to Argos for that value and they will normally replace it

4. JemmaBe

JemmaBe Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Legally, absolutely no clue.
    But is it Cookworks? If yes, then it would have only come from Argos which would help your case.

5. xMandyDx

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(19.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It was supposed to be cookworks, but they had to substitute it for one named "Salter"...

6. Minimunchkins

Minimunchkins Gold Member

Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm with Jackie - find your bank/CC statement (hopefully you didn't pay cash). Have you still go the original box? That will have the Argos label on it which will be in your favour also.

When I buy anything electrical or items that I consider relatively expensive, I always save the receipts in a mug on the top shelf of my cupboard - just in case! They tend to get weeded out every few years or so - lol

7. PatchworkPuss

PatchworkPuss Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3.5lb(39.42%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    True but the problem is that the OP can't prove when it was bought or from where. Argos may offer a replacement as a show of good will but I don't think they are under any legal requirement to.

8. xMandyDx

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(19.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hate to put a spanner in the works, but I paid cash lol
    I also don't have the original box, and I presume the product guarantee is in there... serves me right!

Suppose I'll just have to put it down to a loss and be more careful in future with those receipts!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

9. WelshJojo

WelshJojo Gold Member

Diet:
    Calorie counting/low carb(following SW principles where possible)
    It still might be worth a try-if you can tell them when you bought it-like date and approx time, their system should be able to bring up your receipt :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

10. Leapfrog

Leapfrog Champion actifryer

Start Weight:
    84kg
    Current Weight:
    71.5kg
    Goal Weight:
    65kg
    Lost(%):
    12.5kg(14.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    What's the worst they can do? Refuse and then you're in the same position as you are now with a broken appliance. But they might agree to exchange it. I'd give it a go.

11. AnnaFaraday

AnnaFaraday ..

In our family we work on the principle - "if you don't ask you won't get". No harm in asking nicely. Costs you nothing, and you have nothing to lose.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.