Favourite soup recipes?

What recipe do you follow for a tomato soup? Ive seen so many

Oh it is so easy. Our c told us a quick and easy recipe but I adapt it to my own taste. Will tell you hers first - tin tomatoes,tin baked beans, tin carrots, 4 pickled onions. Thats it, cook them all up together and blend. It was OKish but I could taste the vinegar in the onions which I wasnt keen on sooooooooooooo I adapted it. Also I only do red and green days so wanted to make it red day friendly. Mine is as follows - 2 tins tomatoes,sliced onion (I use I must confess ready chopped frozen onion), tin of carrots, 1/2 pint veg stock, 1/2 pint passata, and chilli flakes to taste. I like mine really hot! Boil all this up together, then blend. Delish and so very quick specially if using ready frozen onions. And free on a red day :)

Oh awesome, I have just been reading about the one with pickled onions in! I shall have to try it as its nice and super speed right? yumyum I need a kick up the bum this week! x

Subscribing to this because there are some amazing recipes in here that I need to try out!

Made the tom soup wth pickled onions in, AMAZING tastes like Heinz!

I prefer my own version of this tom soup to be honest. I omit the pickled onions and just cook off some diced frozen onions, then do the recipe the same as the pickled onion one. I didnt like the vinegar taste in the first version !

I think I overdid the Worsecestershire sauce in mine so I cant tell if thats what i could taste or the vinegar! Will probably just use up the jar of pickled onions and then move back to normal diced :)

Does anyone have a syn free tomatoe and veg soup recipe please? Am starting slimming world today and need some help for lunch for work? Thank you all xxxxx

Hi kelbel, well you could do the tomato soup recipe mentioned above and just bung in any veg you want then blend it. I think with soup its very much an experiment thing. I keep changing my recipes and each time they get better. My fave is definately leek and potato. I have started adding a chicken stock pot to it and it tastes even nicer. :)

I made a Nigella roasted butternut squash soup on Sunday. Yes, I know it's Nigella, but I just adapted it to be SW friendly, so instead of drizzling olive oil over the butternut squash, and cooking the onions in butter I used fry light.

1 medium butternut squash
1.5 pints of veg stock
1 medium white onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
fry light
2 tsp dried chilli flakes
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to about 180 (fan)
Cut squash lengthways into quarters, put on a baking tray, spray with fry light and season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes, and roast or about 40-50 minutes.
Once squash is cooked, leave to cool and then remove skin.
In a pan, add fry light and gently sweat garlic and onions, once translucent add stock and once simmering add the flesh from the squash.
Simmer for around 5 minutes and then blitz. If its too thick I add more water a little at a time. If you need more seasoning add.

I love homemade roast veg soup. Don't really have a recipe but get loads of veg (you can use pretty much anything you like) I have Sweet potato, butternut squash, aubergine, courgette, peppers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, garlic, chillies (lots as i love spicy food) and rosemary. You can add other seasonings to it as well. Put it all in a baking tray and spray with frylite. Cook in the oven until the butternut squash, carrots and sweet potatoes are soft then blitz it in a food blender with veg stock then heat. It's really filling and you can make loads and freeze it for when you need it :)

Last edited:
Butternut squash is a bit like pumpkin, and I'm guessing like turnip/swede as it mashes up very nicely.

I've not tried this but I know some people make butternut chips.

Great and easy to make soup:

butternut squash
4 shallots
1-2 garlic cloves
2 big carrots
2 sweet potatoes
veg stock
salt and pepper

Cut everything in pieces and boil until everything is soft. Blend after the soup cools down a bit. Reheat and enjoy!

i use an aldi soup pack 89p and i usually make ham & lentil

1/4 pack red lentils
1/3 pack yellow split peas
the soup pack
2-3 ham stock cubes
bung it all in a pot cover with boiling water and simmer till cooked add more water as needed i leave it chunky but you can blend if you wish

i make scotch broth the same way but use broth mix instead of the lentils/split peas and beef stock or lamb stock and call it welsh broth

Back