Feeling a bit disheartened

Chubby chick 2023

Silver Member
First week a good loss of 4 pounds, but 2nd week have stayed the same!

Just feeling a bit disheartened as I stuck to the plan, even measuring the syns in a piece of my daughter's birthday cake rather than going 'sod it' and eating all before me as I'm prone to doing at kid's parties.

I know it's still a loss of 2pounds a week, but I think anyone would be feeling a bit disappointed with a Sts so early in the journey, particularly as it's a three stone journey....

Am hoping for words of encouragement or stories of others who had a Sts in the second week then went on to lose weight and win miss world or similar.....

I'm glad I paid for a 12 week countdown as by now I probably would have been put off but I will hey my money's worth dammit!!

I've not sts the second week but there could be lots of reasons for it - time of the month for example, even women in my group that are post menopausal have similar gains/sts once a month or so!
Have you been keeping a food diary? Well done for measuring the syns for the birthday cake!
Everyone has ups and downs with weight loss, sometimes for no apparent reason we have gains or sts.
4lbs is fantastic though, well done! You will get there, try not to feel too disheartened. It will be worth it in the end.
Hopefully you get a lovely big loss next week! x

Don't be disheartened! A huge number of things can affect your weight loss and not everyone's body works the same way so don't pay attention to what other people are losing. Personally I've never lost more than 1lb a week, not in my first week or most recent, but that's just how my body works - it's slow, but it's getting there. I've seen people on here maintain for a couple of weeks then have nother dramatic loss the week after. Stick with it, it will work, you just need to find what works for you. But, just in case: Are you drinking enough? Making sure 1/3 of your plate is speed? Having your Healthy Extras? Not sneakily eating 1 square of chocolate and not synning it (all adds up!).

Good luck, we're all here if you need us!

Thanks, I will stick with it.

I probably do need to up my veg, think I'm relying a bit too much on fruit for my speed food.

Just want it now!!!! (cue small child stamping feet)

Ha we all want it now! But it didn't go on all in one go so it won't come off all in one go!

Yeah up your veg, that may help. Just sneak them into your normal meals - don't put mushrooms in your spag bol? You do now! Lol.

I've tried to have more veg rather than fruit for my speed foods as fruit contains so much sugar (good sugar of course!) but a lot of people find that they don't lose much when they have a lot of fruit. Although some people can have bundles of fruit and still have great losses.
Have you tried scan bran? It's great to help get things "moving" and many of the members in our group rely on it. It's really high in fibre, like a really dense ryvita. They're an acquired taste but they definitely help. And in cakes etc, they're fine!

I appreciate that you are only two weeks in and I know the importance of getting a good few strings of losses at the beginning to keep motivation levels high. But I don't think there's many people on here that this hasn't happened to at some point. Like previous posters have said, it could be down to a myriad of things, including your body simply going ' what the chuff is going on here then?!' As it adjusts to your new way of eating.

As time goes by, you may begin to see patterns of sts or slight gains esp at totm making it easier to accept. You will also get 'undeserved' losses were you lose, but you know feel down you haven't really followed the plan/over synned etc. I believe that it all balances out eventually and as long as you have an overall downward trend over the course of a month then its all good

We've all been there. Me especially. I'd been going to group for 12 weeks and lost a total of about 7lbs. I was so disheartened and ready to throw in the towel but I decided to give it just one more week. I upped my speed food intake, snacked on that more than the free foods and dropped to 5-10 syns per day. That week, I lost 3lb, the week after 1lb and the week after that was another 3lb.

I know you're only in your second week but it really is worth studying the book again and getting up on your speed foods. They really do work! I'm speaking from experience :) Also, as others have said, all bodies are different and different things affect us in different ways. Could be totm, water retention, not eating enough, or just your body getting used to it.

Don't give up, you can do it!!

I definitely echo the speed food approach!

I had a similar situation in my very first week - it was almost as if I tried too hard. My consultant looked at my food diary and said a) I wasn't eating enough and b) I wasn't eating enough speed foods. I had one or two days were I didn't have an evening meal, I wasn't eating a lot of syns and I hardly had any speed foods.

I made a pact with myself that night to try and eat more speeds - try and hit around 10 per day. The next week I lost 5.5lbs.

I found it really hard at the start of the journey to find a bit of perspective, but staying with group and listening to others' advice really helped me stay positive and focused. You kinda do have to think long term - over the course of a few months it will seem insignificant, but they do all add up. Any weightloss is better than none or putting some on, but more importantly, eating healthily and making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle will ultimately see you achieve your goal. If you have lost as much as you'd hoped in a week, take satisfaction from trying to put things right and knowing that despite it not reflecting on the scales, you're doing your body good.

Congrats on the losses so far, and your commitment! If you continued to average 2lbs a week, you would hit your target in no time!

Back