Feeling deflated my sis on cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think in 5-10 years time you could still be at target and eating massive meals like roast dinners, spag bol, curries etc and where will your sister be?
I can't see her still following her diet living off soup & milkshakes!

Shes not going to need to!! With ALL VLCDs you get maintenance to build up over a period of a few weeks to go back to eating normally. Its then, like any other diet, dependant on how you eat afterwards.

I came off Exante for 4 weeks in Dec and gained 5lbs because I ate sensibly and didnt go back to my pre diet eating habits.

Whatever diet you do, be it SW/WW/CD etc its not how you get to goal its what you do when you get there that dictates if you put it all back on, you dont put it all back on because you did a VLCD and took it off quickly. Ive seen LOADS of threads on SW/WW saying 'Im back with my tail between my legs' 'Another returner' 'Im back again' 'Does anyone remember me'... all people who have done well on SW who have stopped the diet, reverted back to bad habits and put weight on again - this will happen no matter what diet you do.

VLCDs are very successful for a fast weight loss for those of us who need a fast result. There are as many VLCD success stories as there are SW ones, you only need to look around Minimins to see that.

Thanks guys i Did do Cambridge and lighterlife and like others put it back on and more through my own stupidity really. I breastfeed and can't afford it and quite frankly I like to eat lol so I know sw is for me but just feel I have a long way to go at the moment and can't see the other side of the hill so to speak. X

Yeah, chin up FNM, not all diets are suitable for everyone. I did Cambridge from Nov 08 to July 09 and lost almost 9 stone. Then i fell pregnant in October and gained FIVE stone during my pregnancy. I basically used my pregnancy as an excuse to eat. I did Exante for a couple of months after the baby but i just can't seem to get back into it. I'm 1 stone heavier now than before i was pregnant and i plan on losing that stone plus maybe a little bit more with SW.

VLCD have their place in my opinion...i feel like i owe a lot to Cambridge, but i appreciate that they're not everyones cup of tea.

Good luck with SW and i'm sure your efforts will be rewarded on the scales. Like someone else said, it's not a race, you will get to target, just at a more leisurely pace (and with lots of yummy food) :)

And you can eat on Cambridge too! Its not all milkshakes and soups, yes thats the quickest plan but not everyone does it that way.

And I sole sourced (the strictest version of the plan) for about 4.5 months. So it is doable it all depends on how you apply yourself to it, much like any other diet, including Slimming World. Thats not to mean any disrespect to anyone who has a wobble on any plan, we've all done it, its human.

One of the things that I found hardest on it, wasn't the "lack" of food, it was the constant misconception and diet bashing that really got to me. It was really tiresome having to explain over and over again. No its not unhealthy, no I'm not tired all the time, no I'm not hungry all the time, no I'm not wanting a chip, no I dont get fed up with them because I choose the flavours I like, no I can't "never eat again", no they train you in healthy eating at the end.

I know I've went slightly tangental here, sorry for hijacking.

But just to reiterate FNM, its your weight loss journey, it doesnt matter the road you take, as long as you get there!

So don't focus on what other people have, focus on your own acheivements and what you've learned so far. And chin up :D

Thanks guys i Did do Cambridge and lighterlife and like others put it back on and more through my own stupidity really. I breastfeed and can't afford it and quite frankly I like to eat lol so I know sw is for me but just feel I have a long way to go at the moment and can't see the other side of the hill so to speak. X

So you have decided to go up the hill a different way to your sister? At the moment its looking like she may be boarding a cable car to get up but you have got to walk/climb? Well hopefully her journey will go well but going at that speed think what she may miss? Or what if that cable car breaks down? Lets hope not for her sake and lets wish her well!
So......how can you break up your journey so that the only focus isn't over that hill? Are there some nice things along the way up the hill? Places to pause and enjoy the view? Have a picnic? Break up that 3 stone and think of the benefits along the way and still look forward to your weigh in and fingers crossed you get a good result!

I can only echo everyone elses statements, I tried cambridge, for two weeks, I couldn't have done it long term i love my food too much. Sw has re educated me in food plus me and hubby love cooking together now.

Chin up and focus on your plan, she may lose more than you initially but long term she still needs to learn to eat 'properly' as you are now.

I think what we all need to remember is that no-one is slating VLCDs - just sharing their experiences and giving opinions, some of which may be ill informed due to lack of experience in that particular area.

I think what we all need to remember is that no-one is slating VLCDs - they arent for me, and others have their own opinions.

Starlight has a point that if you revert to old eating habits no matter the diet, you will put the weight back on - but FNM is looking here for reassurance that she made the right choice for her as opposed to her choice her sister has made - and as SW followers, it is only natural that we would want to extoll the virtues of SW.

Last edited:
I think what we all need to remember is that no-one is slating VLCDs - they arent for me, and Starlight has a point that if you revert to old eating habits no matter the diet, you will put the weight back on - but FNM is looking here for reassurance that she made the right choice for her as opposed to her choice her sister has made - and as SW followers, it is only natural that we would want to extoll the virtues of SW.

I agree :)
We all dont want you to feel deflated though hun, you can & will be successful with sw if you put your mind to it and im sure you will.
x

So you have decided to go up the hill a different way to your sister? At the moment its looking like she may be boarding a cable car to get up but you have got to walk/climb? Well hopefully her journey will go well but going at that speed think what she may miss? Or what if that cable car breaks down? Lets hope not for her sake and lets wish her well!
So......how can you break up your journey so that the only focus isn't over that hill? Are there some nice things along the way up the hill? Places to pause and enjoy the view? Have a picnic? Break up that 3 stone and think of the benefits along the way and still look forward to your weigh in and fingers crossed you get a good result!

Absolutely brilliant post. We're all here to do the same thing. We may disagree with how others are getting there, but we all have the same aim at the end of the day.

xx

You have made the decision to change your lifestyle and eating habits for life...sw is perfectly sustainable in everyday life. I wont knock the VLCD because for some people they work. But you cannot have a normal life whilst on them, I dont care what anyone says thats my view on it.
Plus they put a lot more stress on your organs etc. Go to a doctor and see how many would recommend a VLCD over slimming world?
Hold your head high hun you have made the right decision for a life long change.
Sorry if this post upsets anyone but I have come a long way in my weightloss journey and due to medical advice the one thing I have never touched is a VLCD.

I know it's hard to see someone else lose weight faster but at the end of the day, you must make the right choice for you. We all want the fastest, least 'painful', cheapest, most sustainable weight loss but most of the time there is a compromise to be made in all plans. You made the choice to do SW (as have most of us on this section of the forum) which has it's positives and negatives. For others that choice may be different because their priorities are different. It's not a race. Try to concentrate on the positives of the choice that you have made (eating lots of lovely food, being able to try new recipes and new types of foods etc etc) and look forward to what you CAN achieve. There are plenty of people here who will demonstrate that.

Good luck (and good luck to your sister).

Gail x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back