Feeling depressed :-(

Food is, as you say, an emotional crutch. It's so much more easily said than done, but if you can find the root of why you seek comfort in it and try to fix it you won't look for an emotional crutch. Sometimes there is no 'fix' though, such as when we're grieving, suffering from depression as an illness and things like that. I am a great believer in talking therapy with an impartial person like a therapist. It really helped me.
Food is good at making us feel happy but it only lasts a moment. That short happy feeling converts quickly into a longer, horrible feeling of low self esteem, lack of control and sometimes guilt. I have experienced these feelings this weekend and my one learning point is to stop, take a breath and think before I put food in my mouth!

I find using MyfitnessPal amazing..... I often want something, put it in there and promptly change my mind.... its there in black and white whats in it!!!!

Deezer, I think I'd really like to understand what damage the food I put in my mouth does to my body, that would really make a difference to me. I know it makes me feel tired, lethargic, bloated etc but I can cope with all that by sitting on the sofa! I love feeling good and feel good on S&S so why don't spoil it?? I've been for some hypnotherapy and it was great I have to say but it's soooo expensive! CBt sounds good? I absolutely believe in talking therapy, I'm a beauty therapist and people talk to me about anything and I listen so know its great, just need someone to listen. Will def be getting myfitnesspal again, yes.

Thanks all so much for your replies, today I have felt on top of the world (??), spent some wonderful quality time with my beautiful family and making an effort to live my life rather than be controlled by food or this diet.

Deezer you made such a good point about the food and control, it made sense. I am reading a book about addictive eating and attempting to tackle the problem (addiction) rather than the cause (excess weight), it's helping.

It sounds like there are some real, deep emotional issues to do with food and health, well being with lots of us.

When I was young my mum and dad had a bad marriage, I remember feeling safest, happiest and most content with my nan and grandad at their house, the memories I have are so food oriented (egg on toast, corned beef hash, real bread and real butter, pork steak) that I think from a very early age I connected love/happiness:security with eating, we all do it.

Are you poorly? Have some chicken soup. Are you upset? Have cake. Are you happy? Let's celebrate and go out for dinner.

I'm hopefully slowly learning to let go of this.

I've done some research and apparently vlcds can cause depression because of the lack of omega 3. If this is the case for me I'll get it sorted, whatever it is.

I hope you are genuinely all ok. Being slim is good, being healthy is essential, physically and mentally.

Thank you for opening up, being honest with yourself is hard, it takes time to face up to your demons and perhaps longer to accept your strengths.

Kellmo x

2 stone 4lbs lighter in 9 weeks

Thanks all so much for your replies, today I have felt on top of the world (??), spent some wonderful quality time with my beautiful family and making an effort to live my life rather than be controlled by food or this diet.

Deezer you made such a good point about the food and control, it made sense. I am reading a book about addictive eating and attempting to tackle the problem (addiction) rather than the cause (excess weight), it's helping.

It sounds like there are some real, deep emotional issues to do with food and health, well being with lots of us.

When I was young my mum and dad had a bad marriage, I remember feeling safest, happiest and most content with my nan and grandad at their house, the memories I have are so food oriented (egg on toast, corned beef hash, real bread and real butter, pork steak) that I think from a very early age I connected love/happiness:security with eating, we all do it.

Are you poorly? Have some chicken soup. Are you upset? Have cake. Are you happy? Let's celebrate and go out for dinner.

I'm hopefully slowly learning to let go of this.

I've done some research and apparently vlcds can cause depression because of the lack of omega 3. If this is the case for me I'll get it sorted, whatever it is.

I hope you are genuinely all ok. Being slim is good, being healthy is essential, physically and mentally.

Thank you for opening up, being honest with yourself is hard, it takes time to face up to your demons and perhaps longer to accept your strengths.

Kellmo x

So glad you've had a better day..... You sound really positive!!!

YAY!!!!

X

Deezer, I think I'd really like to understand what damage the food I put in my mouth does to my body, that would really make a difference to me. I know it makes me feel tired, lethargic, bloated etc but I can cope with all that by sitting on the sofa! I love feeling good and feel good on S&S so why don't spoil it?? I've been for some hypnotherapy and it was great I have to say but it's soooo expensive! CBt sounds good? I absolutely believe in talking therapy, I'm a beauty therapist and people talk to me about anything and I listen so know its great, just need someone to listen. Will def be getting myfitnesspal again, yes.

Honestly.... just google stuff.... 'effects of over eating, binge eating, diabetes,' one will lead to the other.... even google images 'obesity' its insane the damage.... not to mention heart disease, strokes.... I so used to scare myself into this diet!!!

Watching re-runs of supersize v superskinny too..... Scary really!!!

X

I personally take omega-3 supplements for their anti-inflammatory properties whilst VLCDing. I doubt it's recommended as it is fat and I can't really say if it affects my losses, but certainly I feel much the better for having them. It's so important to eat omega 3s for many health reasons and since I'm not eating lots of oily fish on this diet just taking the capsules is my compromise. Keeps your skin lovely too ;)

Lindsay988 said:
I love watching that programme! Kellmoo do you think we can take omega 3 supplements then?

I've no idea Lindsay! But I will if I need to I suppose ;-)

I started on Exante early last year, right at the height of my depression. I didn't realise how bad it was at the time though. Over the 2 weeks I was on it, I spiralled right down, and it resulted in me seeking further help from my doctor, and my meds were increased and I was referred for therapy.

I was at day therapy one day a week from March until December, and it worked wonders for me - I am now off medication, and have my life in order again. BUT - I put on a lot of weight during this time, and was my heaviest ever by last Christmas.

So I do believe this diet can make depression worse, but there are so many levels of depression, and mine was pretty bad at the time. You just have to balance up between whether the diet is going to affect your wellbeing, or whether coming off the diet and gaining weight will make you even more unhappy.

Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon xxx

Rattybabe said:
I started on Exante early last year, right at the height of my depression. I didn't realise how bad it was at the time though. Over the 2 weeks I was on it, I spiralled right down, and it resulted in me seeking further help from my doctor, and my meds were increased and I was referred for therapy.

I was at day therapy one day a week from March until December, and it worked wonders for me - I am now off medication, and have my life in order again. BUT - I put on a lot of weight during this time, and was my heaviest ever by last Christmas.

So I do believe this diet can make depression worse, but there are so many levels of depression, and mine was pretty bad at the time. You just have to balance up between whether the diet is going to affect your wellbeing, or whether coming off the diet and gaining weight will make you even more unhappy.

Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon xxx

Thanks Ratty,

This diet makes it so hard to work out if I'm just having a bad day/week/feeling sorry for myself or if it's genuine depression. I think just seeing and talking about feeling depressed at times has made me feel so much better about myself and my life.

I DO think if I come off plan things will get worse and ill spiral and end up weighing far too much, again!

I'm going t think about seeing my doctor, all in good time.

Thanks for your advice, I hoe your weight loss and health is all tickety boo before too long x

Aww there's nothing worse than feeling starving on meds. I've caved in but not too badly but I'm scared of being very obese and smoking too A heart attack just waiting to happen. But I know that I will also be depressed still being very overweight. I can just about keep up my little girl through smoking. I'm only 30 and been smoking since 11 oops!! Did give up through pregnancy and then started again. Don't know what to do for the best. So disappointed. I really am. With other diets there's a lot of excercise involved. But I dont want to put my mental health at risk either. Just don't know what to do now

Back