Feeling depressed :-(

kellmo

Gold Member
Hi all,

I have come to the conclusion that I am, or on the way to becoming depressed. I can't say for sure if the VLCD has triggered it but I'm pretty sure it has, I am susceptible to depression after having it 12 years ago and 8 years ago I had pnd with my beautiful daughter.

I have been unhappy for about 6 weeks and I thought it was my marriage, but tonight i recognised my symptoms and put 2 and 2 together. I have thought long and hard about the VLCD and I have decided to stick with it as if I come off it I will for certain not get to goal or worse, put weight on and my depression will spiral :-(

Ive obviously googled VLCD a d depression and there is a link, I suppose if you're prone to it it can worsen?

So i need to make an appointment with my GP for some antidepressants, these have worked in the past and I have no problem using them, they're little miracle workers in my opinion. I'm not sure if I'm going to mention the VLCD, I don't know how disapproving or judgemental they'd be, I see a number of GP's so I will request a one I actually like (one of thems a horrible old cow who barks at me to lose weight!). I suppose I'm concerned that they would withhold the medication if I refused to stop the VLCD.

Hope you are all ok x

Kellmo.

kellmo said:
Hi all,

I have come to the conclusion that I am, or on the way to becoming depressed. I can't say for sure if the VLCD has triggered it but I'm pretty sure it has, I am susceptible to depression after having it 12 years ago and 8 years ago I had pnd with my beautiful daughter.

I have been unhappy for about 6 weeks and I thought it was my marriage, but tonight i recognised my symptoms and put 2 and 2 together. I have thought long and hard about the VLCD and I have decided to stick with it as if I come off it I will for certain not get to goal or worse, put weight on and my depression will spiral :-(

Ive obviously googled VLCD a d depression and there is a link, I suppose if you're prone to it it can worsen?

So i need to make an appointment with my GP for some antidepressants, these have worked in the past and I have no problem using them, they're little miracle workers in my opinion. I'm not sure if I'm going to mention the VLCD, I don't know how disapproving or judgemental they'd be, I see a number of GP's so I will request a one I actually like (one of thems a horrible old cow who barks at me to lose weight!). I suppose I'm concerned that they would withhold the medication if I refused to stop the VLCD.

Hope you are all ok x

Kellmo.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear :(
Have you tried talking to your husband? Sit down with a cup of tea and talk to him. Tell him how you feel. You might feel so much better for it. Also what slim and save products do you have daily?
I hope you feel better soon :) xx

Hi Kellmo,

I think its good that you have recognised the feelings for what they are and have a plan in action. Seeing your GP is of course the best thing to do. Doesn't slim and save say that being on this diet the same time as being treated for depression in contra-indication? I am sure somebody will know.

I hope that once you are getting help for this again you will begin to feel more positive.

wishing you all the best :)

Last edited:
Pen87 said:
Hi Kellmo,

I think its good that you have recognised the feelings for what they are and have a plan in action. Seeing your GP is of course the best thing to do. Doesn't slim and save say that being on this diet the same time as being treated for depression in contra-indication? I am sure somebody will know.

I hope that once you are getting help for this again you will begin to feel more positive.

wishing you all the best :)

Thanks, It says severe depression on the website but it's all subjective isn't it? I don't know?

It is a contra-indication but I agree it's subjective too, your GP should measure your symptoms though.
I would tell them that you're on a VLCD if I was you as they can help you better when you give them as much information as possible.

I've has depression twice before, so I know it means the chances of suffering again are higher, do you have someone you can talk to ?

Thanks yes I do have a lovely husband who will listen :)

I am going to tell the, about the VLCD (slim and save) but I'm making it cLear I am not prepared to come off it. I have my own health reasons for losing weight and personal ones too, I am half way to goal and I will not come off plan. I know my depression needs tackling but if I need to I will do this for another 2 months and go back to the GP.

If I come off plan I will get worse and I'll be a right old mess, for now, my life just seems to have lost it's colour, it's harder to laugh like I used to, smile, dance, make love, love, care, get excited. I'm in no way having sucidal thoughts or wishing I wasn't here. It's mild depression or the beginning of it.

I do hope my gp is understanding but if they're not, I'll find one who is. I have to lose this weight for my health and my future, it's a long term goal which I'm not giving up.

It just feels right to tell them straight!

Absolutely, I don't know of any Drs who wouldn't listen to your reasons for doing this diet (I'm a nurse and work with some excellent ones)
Good luck honey, it's a tough ole thing to go through x

determinedone said:
Absolutely, I don't know of any Drs who wouldn't listen to your reasons for doing this diet (I'm a nurse and work with some excellent ones)
Good luck honey, it's a tough ole thing to go through x

You've obviously not met the sour faced old of a GP I have to see every now and then!!!

Thank you very much, x x

You've obviously not met the sour faced old of a GP I have to see every now and then!!!

Thank you very much, x x

Hi Kellmo

I so know where you are at!!!. I had pnd after two of my four and have suffered badly on and off throughout my twenties and early thirties. My sister commented the other day, that the photos of me as a kid and teenager at home look as though I had some kind of weight on me even though I was smiling in the photos. I may have had it underlying throughout my life.

I have been on anti-depressants too but unfortunately, they never worked for me. There is a definete link between depression and a vlcd. On lipotrim, i became severely depressed and after nine weeks gave up. Food always made me feel comforted and satiated as if it was filling that dark deep hole.

However, weight gain made my depression even worse also!!. I have really just come out of depression in the last year or so and started to feel a ray of sunshine as my children have got older and I am not getting up at night or sorting bottles or changing nappies and starting a degree in Nursing this September. I was at my worst after having the kids. Sometimes life circumstances seen too much to handle ie housework, bills, arguing with OH about money, worrying over the kids etc etc.

I was refered to a clinical pyschologist over binge eating but it wasnt for me. I just seem to come out of it in my own time.

The problem with a vlcd is, it is very severe and it does play with your mind!!!. I understand you 100% as i am not coming off either. I have been on it 5 weeks on Monday. Could you even change your GP?. When i am depressed, i make myself think about my children and hubby and how so many people are terminally ill and have to leave their kids etc. I know this sounds awful but it makes me then feel grateful to have my family.

I really hope you feel better soon , hun. We are all here for you as sometimes it's hard to express yourself to family, OH etc. Sorry about the essay, just wanted to say that I am with you and know exactly how you feel.x

Binge eater said:
Hi Kellmo

I so know where you are at!!!. I had pnd after two of my four and have suffered badly on and off throughout my twenties and early thirties. My sister commented the other day, that the photos of me as a kid and teenager at home look as though I had some kind of weight on me even though I was smiling in the photos. I may have had it underlying throughout my life.

I have been on anti-depressants too but unfortunately, they never worked for me. There is a definete link between depression and a vlcd. On lipotrim, i became severely depressed and after nine weeks gave up. Food always made me feel comforted and satiated as if it was filling that dark deep hole.

However, weight gain made my depression even worse also!!. I have really just come out of depression in the last year or so and started to feel a ray of sunshine as my children have got older and I am not getting up at night or sorting bottles or changing nappies and starting a degree in Nursing this September. I was at my worst after having the kids. Sometimes life circumstances seen too much to handle ie housework, bills, arguing with OH about money, worrying over the kids etc etc.

I was refered to a clinical pyschologist over binge eating but it wasnt for me. I just seem to come out of it in my own time.

The problem with a vlcd is, it is very severe and it does play with your mind!!!. I understand you 100% as i am not coming off either. I have been on it 5 weeks on Monday. Could you even change your GP?. When i am depressed, i make myself think about my children and hubby and how so many people are terminally ill and have to leave their kids etc. I know this sounds awful but it makes me then feel grateful to have my family.

I really hope you feel better soon , hun. We are all here for you as sometimes it's hard to express yourself to family, OH etc. Sorry about the essay, just wanted to say that I am with you and know exactly how you feel.x

Thank you for your support, I don't feel so depressed that I'm a wreck, I just don't feel quite like me, I don't laugh, smile, sing as much as I used to, it's a bit more effort, I'm not in the throes of a deep depression, I suppose I've recognised it early. Believe me I have been there and it's a horrible, horrible place, espcially when there's a wonderful new baby in your life.

I too am starting uni in September to finally do my teaching degree, at the grand old age of 31! Are you doing it full time? I'm going to edge hill, the only uni I wanted to go to.

To be honest the weight loss is making me happy, I'm getting healthier AND feeling better about myself weekly and it's such a huge boost. It won't be forever, another 2 months max!

I am concerned that some anti depressants can cause weight gain and I don't see the point of Taking them and a vlcd that will just see me maintaining.

I'm going to be straight with the doc and thinking about it they probably have the letter from when I started the Cambridge plan weeks ago. If they won't help I'll see another GP. I don't really rate mine anyway.

Thank you all x x

2 stone, 4lb lighter in 9 weeks.

You will be fine hun! After my mum died just before my 17th birthday I was diagnosed! I decided not to go with antidepressant because I was so young I wanted myself and my life to be my antidepressant so I forced myself to be around people all the time! Filled my time with happy things! It takes along time but I finally got there and it makes me so much more greatfull for my life now! I agree the weight gain makes it so so so so much worse and I developed and eating disorder to cope! Thankfully my ex partner helped me through that and after 2 years I semi recovered! I still sometimes have blips as I think I will always do! But my life is incredible now, my own business and a flat with the most incredible man I've ever met ( who loves me?!? Lol crazy)

I just wanted to say your so brave for talking so straight about it and lucky that your able to notice all the symptoms! You are being your own antidepressant at the moment by saying what your saying and doing what your doing!
I went to a hypnotherapist and she helped me reshape an recolour my subconscious it was an amazing session I literally painted how I wanted my subconscious to look and feel and when I came back too I shone on the outside too! Just maybe an option for you if they won't give antidepressant on the vlcd! Just to keep you colourfull for the next 2 months!
Good luck and congrats on your amazing last weigh in!! Xx

Thank you for your support, I don't feel so depressed that I'm a wreck, I just don't feel quite like me, I don't laugh, smile, sing as much as I used to, it's a bit more effort, I'm not in the throes of a deep depression, I suppose I've recognised it early. Believe me I have been there and it's a horrible, horrible place, espcially when there's a wonderful new baby in your life.

I too am starting uni in September to finally do my teaching degree, at the grand old age of 31! Are you doing it full time? I'm going to edge hill, the only uni I wanted to go to.

To be honest the weight loss is making me happy, I'm getting healthier AND feeling better about myself weekly and it's such a huge boost. It won't be forever, another 2 months max!

I am concerned that some anti depressants can cause weight gain and I don't see the point of Taking them and a vlcd that will just see me maintaining.

I'm going to be straight with the doc and thinking about it they probably have the letter from when I started the Cambridge plan weeks ago. If they won't help I'll see another GP. I don't really rate mine anyway.

Thank you all x x

2 stone, 4lb lighter in 9 weeks.

HI Kellmo, yeah my degree is full time and I have to move away from my family during the week so I will only be seeing kids and hubby at weekends and when on placement, only days that I am off. It is seven hours away by bus but i really cant wait to start a new career and get stuck in!!!

I think with depression, it is a day by day thing. I try to organise things for myself if i feel really down such as going to the cinema with my sister or saving up for a facial and pedicure etc and I l often have to force myself to do it to take me out of the dark hole. Whatever can take you out of feeling down is what you should try to do. This might even be sleeping. Sometimes only sleep and relaxation can take me out of it. My weight was starting to make me feel like I wouldnt go outside of the house or meet anyone!!. I was bursting out of all my clothes.

By the way, huge congrats on your weightloss!!!. YOure flying it!!!.

I'm gonna be really, really honest now. I'm 30 with a little girl of 3 now. She's my world. Ive just been diagnosed with mild bipolar and and I am now on quite a few meds of which some I will be weaned off gradually. This thread has got me thinking. I did start SW but my friend did let me down. My Ex hubby was violent towards me and I went into refuge with my baby. This did not help whatsoever!!! I was in the pits. Not suicidal I hasten to add but in despair. Anyhow I got a council flat. And I just managed. As I got over it this year in fact. Did do CD for a while and did quite well in fact. But just recently I have been prescribed antidepressants and other meds. I'm gonna see how I go. This thread has got me thinking. I still allow my ex to see my little girl. He had serious issues in childhood which I understand. Theres excuses I know but his childhood was terrible. I never pressed charges or anything. But you are doing so well. I have my GPs consent to do this diet coz it allows you to Have food. Do have a chat with a GP of your choice. I was pleasantly surprised at my GPs reaction doing this diet. I'm on antidepressants that don't make me hungry luckily. SW made no difference to my mood state tbh. I'm on a mood stabalizer a new one that's just come out in fact. It does give me a bit more of an appetite tbh. I was hyper though not low. Atm I'm really looking forward to my little holiday with good friends and have moved in with my mum. Who's loves the company in face after we lost our dear Dad. So sorry for long essay. I will just see how I go after my mini break. SW was useless for mr in fact although a good diet though and I did lose a little bit. I was 19st last year so I've sort of maintained the weight I lost on CD which I proud of even though I'm on meds. You are doing so well without antidepressants. I've been on antidepressants since last year so coz I was low. They are gonna gradually wean me off though as Obviousy they make hyper manic symptoms worse but so far I'm good. Not bad at all. I do get winter blues though :eek: but my weight will make my symptoms worse. I will just give it another go with my GPs consent. Well done with your weightloss so far it's so brilliant. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hiya Hun, I've been on Anti-D for over 2yrs now, i spoke to my doc about it while on SnS, n he was fine with it. I still have low days, I can be very happy in morning n suddenly in afternoon I can feel so weepy n very very down! N am still working full time with all my ups and downs.
So fingers crossed for u hun.
Xx

Sent from V's iPhone using MiniMins

Kellmo I feel like I'm reading about myself reading your post! I've only been on plan a week but started to feel low fairly quickly- I think it's food that makes me happy, as I know I'm happy when I eat yummy things. I've been feeling like there's problems in my marriage and have been trying to wean myself off antidepressants I was originally taking for PMT but I think it's just mild depression/ feeling low. Really I now my marriage is just as good or bad as anyone else's, I have a lovely husband but I'm angry at myself for not being able to control myself around foo, for being overweight, for not looking my best etc. I'm just really angry at myself and I take it out on my kids and husband mostly. I've had a binge today and felt so much happier for a while but I'm going straight back on plan tomorrow- really desperately want to lose weight. The annoying thing is I didn't binge because I was hungry, I wasn't hungry in the slightest! Just because I wanted chocolate etc. .......so tough :-(

Anyway, nice to know there's other people out there feeling the same as you x

I think... And I'm only talking from my point of view.... that at first when you take food out of your life... like these diets... you take away a coping mechanism that you have used for years.... I did lipotrim first and it really gave me achance to look at my relationship with food as you cant have any.....

It did make me feel depressed but only when i thought about how destructive my relationship with food was....

From what you say.... your damned if you do and damed if you dont.... but at least staying on plan you will eventually feel better about yourself..... As i come out the end i am convinced that my bout of depression are less harsh and less frequent... as I feel better and better about myself.....

I hope you feel this way too.... these diets allow you to take back the control...... and with that and the losses i think you'll start to feel brighter!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!

X

Thanks deezer, I think you're totally right. How on earth do you stop using food as an emotional crutch though? I guess it's something I'm going to have to learn! What's your story? Xx

Food is, as you say, an emotional crutch. It's so much more easily said than done, but if you can find the root of why you seek comfort in it and try to fix it you won't look for an emotional crutch. Sometimes there is no 'fix' though, such as when we're grieving, suffering from depression as an illness and things like that. I am a great believer in talking therapy with an impartial person like a therapist. It really helped me.
Food is good at making us feel happy but it only lasts a moment. That short happy feeling converts quickly into a longer, horrible feeling of low self esteem, lack of control and sometimes guilt. I have experienced these feelings this weekend and my one learning point is to stop, take a breath and think before I put food in my mouth!

Thanks deezer, I think you're totally right. How on earth do you stop using food as an emotional crutch though? I guess it's something I'm going to have to learn! What's your story? Xx

I remember seeing smething on my travels around the net for motivation that said 'if hunger isnt the problem..... food isnt the solution' and it stuck with me.... the total realisation that the food doesnt make me feel any better.... it makes me feel worse......

At the start I had some CBT and she taught me ways to change my behaviour..... there are some good books about cbt....

I think i have a very addictive personality so whatever i do i go to excess... I'll spare you the gory details.... ; )

So i tried to make the obsession losses..... and now exercise... small challenges and mini goals quickly add up.....

Also looking at what damage you can do to your body by eating and drinking too much.... I think i was very naive to the damage i was doing.....

Once you realise that food can be doing as much damage to you as drink or drugs..... its just so dangerous as you have to eat!!! You cant survive if you don't!!

The worst thing is it doesnt happen over night.... I've been at this14 months on and off.... but i think my off bits have been just as important as the on bits..... they have made me realise how awfull i feel when i eat crap.... or drink too much!!!

X

Back