Feeling disheartened....

sandyk

<Big sigh>
I've been eating really healthily, watching portion sizes, and doing loads of exercise for nearly 2 weeks now....then this morning I stepped on the scales, and I'd lost a quarter of a pound! One quarter!!

I don't know if I should even bother weighing myself anymore beacause I've been feeling great all week - I've bundles of energy from all the exercise, and I'm starting to feel really toned - and now I'm just fed up. How can a number have so much power me?

How does everyone else weigh themselves? Is it a good idea to only do it once a month maybe? I'm just terrified that If I did that and the number only barely (or didn't:confused:) go down I'd get really depressed....

Any thoughts??

Hi Sandyk,

I know how you feel, but really you've just got to keep going with it and pushing on. Eventually it will all change for you.
A similar thing happened to me where instead of losing weight, I was actually losing fat and my body shape was changing. To be honest, I didn't really understand why that was stopping me from losing weight as well but after a few weeks I was back to losing about 1lb a week again.

You say that you are starting to feel more toned as well, which could be the result of all your hard work exercising - your body is building up muscle, which I'm afraid is heavier than fat.
But don't worry, the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn during the day.

So just keep at it, and I'm sure you will see the pounds melting away soon! : )

It's true, if you are doing a good amount of exercise, you are probably gaining muscle. So although you are burning fat, you are building muscle so won't see a result so much in the weight loss as as Mirror said, muscle is heavier than fat.

What is important is the way you are feeling in yourself, and you said you are really great and more toned. So I wouldn't let the numbers bother you, justcarry on how you are and those scales will soon start to go down :)

just stick with it you will see a result soon.

Thanks guys, that's really encouraging. I've always relied on that idea too that muscle weighs more than fat cos I try to lose weight through exercise and healthy rather than outright dieting...but I read somewhere that if you're steadily working out you would only really put on a few pounds of muscle over the course of six months....if that's true then it shouldn't be making a difference in only 2 weeks should it?

Oh I don't know! How can we let a number have such an effect on us? It's surely some form of crazy!

are your portion sizes ok, as even tho we eat heathly portion size can also make a difference to our weekly losses x

Back